New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    As the thread is titled, are there any companies producing coilover systems in the Philippines at this moment.

Sent from my Flare S5 Plus using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon119 View Post
    As the thread is titled, are there any companies producing coilover systems in the Philippines at this moment.

i don't think there are any

you can look for an importer or maybe buy direct from manufacturers abroad

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    Can anyone enlighten me on the logic of putting coilover shocks in a sedan?

Dati kasi, coilover shocks were intended for use on vehicles carrying heavy loads. This would assist the springs on the suspension, prevent them from prematurely sagging, as well as help keep the rear tires in contact with the road.

===
    I have them on my Hilux na lifted though I rarely haul heavy stuff, but I can't seem to find any reason why one would put this in a passenger car. Besides, they're very stiff since intended as additional support sa suspension, and they will give a very harsh ride.

I'm not ridiculing folks who do this (kotse nila yun eh, choice nila yun) but maybe bago na rin ba ang concept ng coilover shocks that I'm not aware of? I'm curious lang naman.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post

Dati kasi, coilover shocks were intended for use on vehicles carrying heavy loads. This would assist the springs on the suspension, prevent them from prematurely sagging, as well as help keep the rear tires in contact with the road.

===
    I have them on my Hilux na lifted though I rarely haul heavy stuff, but I can't seem to find any reason why one would put this in a passenger car. Besides, they're very stiff since intended as additional support sa suspension, and they will give a very harsh ride.

I'm not ridiculing folks who do this (kotse nila yun eh, choice nila yun) but maybe bago na rin ba ang concept ng coilover shocks that I'm not aware of? I'm curious lang naman.
    Short answer bro - yes, the coilovers you have in mind are different from the adjustable coilovers that modded cars have. Here's a primer:

Lowering Springs vs. Coilovers | What's the Difference In Cost & Performance?

People usually get coilovers to lower their car's ride height, but other adjustable settings include damper and rebound. Yes they are generally stiffer than stock springs, but if you're interested in getting better handling in the corners, the stiffer springs give you less body roll.

Most people only really want to lower their cars so lowering springs are good enough, but there's always that niche of people who burn money on mods they never fully utilize, hence the market for expensive coilovers even on cars that never see the track or even mountain roads.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post

===

a bit local car culture history in case you weren't aware

in the 90s to the 2000s the fad wasn't pickup trucks

the fad was honda civics and toyota/nissan/mitsu counterparts

it was the time of the first Fast and Furious movie

every "racer" wanted to lower their rides

there are 3 options

the cheapest -- putol stock spring -- which is stupid IMO

for those with some budget -- lowering springs (Eibach, H&R were the popular brands back then)

and rich kids are the ones who can afford coilovers among other performance parts

unlike lowering springs (not adjustable)

advantage of coilovers are adjustable ride height, damper, rebound settings
    Last edited by uls; August 30th, 2018 at 02:26 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    but I can't seem to find any reason why one would put this in a passenger car. Besides, they're very stiff since intended as additional support sa suspension, and they will give a very harsh ride.
    lower car + firmer springs = lower center of gravity and less body roll = change lanes and corner faster

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    funny how things have changed

from lowered cars...

now the fad is pickup trucks with big tires and suspension lift kits

ito ang pataasan ng ihi ngayon

so is it like the taller the truck the bigger the tires the more alpha the owner?

haha
    Last edited by uls; August 30th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.

8. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    funny how things have changed

from lowered cars...

now the fad is pickup trucks with big tires and suspension lift kits

ito ang pataasan ng ihi ngayon

so is it like the taller the truck the bigger the tires the more alpha the owner?

haha
    For some I guess, kasi yun ang mindset nila. They try to overcompensate for their insecurities by buying huge vehicles, carrying firearms (when wala naman actual threat sa kanila), or putting all sorts of vanity plates ostenisbly showing their status- Prosecutor, Lawyer, PNPA, NBI etc...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon119 View Post

suspension is complicated stuff. i play w/ mountain bike suspension all the time. you've got compression damping, rebound damping. spring rates. low-speed fluid circuits. high-speed circuits. some simple dampers have spiking issues on high-speed hits. etc etc

for your "supercar" you better just pick off the shelf stuff. no need to reinvent the wheel

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yes it's complicated stuff

you can win or lose races due to suspension setting

you can have 2 identical cars with same engine power but with different suspension settings and one of them will have better lap time