New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guys,

How does changing to a bigger tire translate to power and speed?

thanks,

city

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It doesn't.

Bigger tire = more unsprung weight
    Bigger tire = more revolution per turn for the crank/axle
    Bigger tire = more contact patch resulting to more resistance in initial roll.

All points to No, it doesn't.

What it does is increase the contact patch of the tire to the road resulting to better grip and handling.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    perfect answer!

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    does that mean slower acceleration and speeds too?? Read also that wider tires means less grip on wet roads? thanks for any info.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    having bigger tires (i.e. as in wider) is likened to having a bigger footprint thus more friction against the road which means better grip. this translates to better control but the trade off is usually worse mileage as the engine has to work more in order to off-set the increased friction between the tire & the road. on the other hand, having bigger tires (i.e. as in thicker) is likened to having more cushion between the cars body & the road translating to a more supple ride, granting a normal tire psi. the trade off however, is also like having a wider tire.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bigger tires (in diameter) can help your fuel economy a bit i heard.

so no gain on antyhing ha, except grip/handling...and looks pro'ly..thanks guys..thanks theveed!

city

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by city
    so no gain on antyhing ha, except grip/handling...and looks pro'ly..thanks guys..thanks theveed!
    I think for powerful cars it can help in acceleration(less wheel spin) and braking because of the larger footprint/contact patch.

For weaker cars, it can just make the car less aerodynamic, slightly slower and probably slightly less fuel efficient.
    Last edited by AG4; January 19th, 2006 at 02:36 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, for more powerful cars, their wide tires are pretty much "stock" for them, kung baga, minimum requirement to get the power transferred as opposed to aftermarket upgrades wherein the stock 195 to 215 tires are more than sufficient.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you won't benefit in terms of speed and power though handling may improve.
    but certainly pogi points would benefit...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
May gain ba pag nag palit mas malaki at malapad na tires?