New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    What's the best thing to do in an unlikely event of losing brakes at high speed? If the car is loaded, will the parking brake's cable snap if I engage it?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    engine brake ka muna.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you might lose control of the car if you yank the parking brake at speed i think...

best thing to do would be to downshift to a low gear and let engine braking slow you down (don't blow the engine though hehe)... then hold on and pray :D if the road is wide open with no traffic, i suppose swerving hard left and right slalom-style would scrub some speed as well

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Best thing you do is DON"T PANIC.... downshift to reduce the speed.. act fast and decide according to situations.. find the best scape route to avoid serious accident..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you lock your rear wheels, you will loose control of the car and would probably result in a spin-out.

Use engine brake technique to reduce your speed low enough where you can apply the hand brake without loosing control.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First would be to downshift a gear or two and let the engine brake.

You can use the E-brake/parking brakes but dont just yank it hard. Pull it up slowly and hold it steadily without locking it (hold the lock button down).

If its a big emergency like you'r driving on a downhill, mountain road, engine brake and try to pick something to hit/brush against to scrub off some speed. Just dont hit it directly.

Of course, the most important thing is to preempt such an event by making sure your car is in good running condition with the help of regular maintainance and chek-ups.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    paano pala kung matic?:confused:
    Last edited by hens; October 19th, 2003 at 05:29 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Make sure first that the brakes have indeed failed. Most of the time, only the vacum assist fails that's why the pedals seems very stiff and there seems to be no braking effect. Use both feet to push the brake pedal down and put all your weight on the pedal.

Assuming that the brakes have failed, shift to a lower gear (engine brake) be it manual or automatic. Then slowly engage the parking brake.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry, medyo ignorante ako sa mga terms, what is "engine brake"?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    operational definition: cruise at 3rd gear, then downshift to 2nd, keeping your foot off the accelerator. the car will lose speed as the revs jump.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Loss of Brake - What To Do