New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    i think he means a conventional hydraulic brake system without vacuum assist that is why he quoted "mechanical brake"..

malamang all drum brakes yan owner jeep.. drum brakes are mechanically stronger kaya kahit walang vacuum assist malakas unlike ng disc brakes na kailangan ng vacuum assist

maybe if you are talking about servo type drum brakes, yes it requires less brake pedal effort. but for smaller cars brakes, they use non servo type drum brakes.
    it would be better to do homework first to make the case. the vacuum brake booster has since been used in 1927.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    i think he means a conventional hydraulic brake system without vacuum assist that is why he quoted "mechanical brake"..

malamang all drum brakes yan owner jeep.. drum brakes are mechanically stronger kaya kahit walang vacuum assist malakas unlike ng disc brakes na kailangan ng vacuum assist

ayun na gets mo ibig kong sabihin, di gaya nung isa dyan hehe, wala nga itong vacuum brake booster na nakalagay.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    maybe if you are talking about servo type drum brakes, yes it requires less brake pedal effort. but for smaller cars brakes, they use non servo type drum brakes.
    it would be better to do homework first to make the case. the vacuum brake booster has since been used in 1927.
    servo or non servo still many old jeepney here in ph have all drum brakes without vacuum assist.. the TS is simply asking the possibility of installing hydrovac...

we used to have assembled jeepney and i recall my father whenever he applies the brakes, he would pump the pedal 2 to 3 times before you feel the brakes bite because his jeep does not sport that hydrovac system that was existent since 1927 as you have stated (sad but true that's how filipinos are left behind in terms of technology)... let a PUJ driver drive a vehicle equipped with vacuum assist brakes and you will notice he will pump it before finally stepping on the brakes...

believe it or not, up to this day still many jeepneys plying metro manila don't have vacuum assisted brakes and notice the driver stepping on the brakes pedal to metal

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    older hydraulic brakes were all drums. disc brakes came later. and with the disc brakes came the hydrovac. and as many of us found out during a brief but harrowing segment of our life, if the hydrovac loses its vacuum, even standing and jumping on the brake pedal won't give the disc brakes any appreciable bite.
    i suspect the guy's jeep is all drums, hence the lack of a hydrovac. he can try and get a hydrovac-master cylinder assembly and connect it to his current brake lines and see if it works well, although i do not remember seeing a four-drum brake vehicle with a hydrovac.. but i could be wrong. otherwise, he might just have to source disc brakes for his front wheels...

why pump the brake pedal more than once to get a half-decent brake force? i am guessing that the master cylinder and the wheel slave cylinders do not match. or may hangin.. typical of jeepney assemblers.. heh heh.

and i am sure a 4k engine has hydrovac. i used to drive a corolla liftback. 4k engine, hydrovac, discs in front and drums out back... handsome car.. sino na kaya ang nag-da-drive noon? someone from pasig, i think..

and, oh yes... the hydrovac should always match the master brake cylinder. otherwise, the brakes won't work smoothly, if at all.
    they pump it because the brake pads are not close enough to the drum, 2 consecutive half pump then final step will fill the slave cylinders with brake fluid and will make the pads closer to the drum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12