New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Good day mga sir.

My father has a 23 year old Owner type jeep with a 4k engine, the brake system is mechanical which is you need to pump it twice o minsan tatlo pa, i just what to know kung ano ang mga parts na papalitan at idadagdag. Gusto ko kasi i upgrade ang brake system, syempre safety first, better safe than sorry.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Edvic View Post
    Good day mga sir.

My father has a 23 year old Owner type jeep with a 4k engine, the brake system is mechanical which is you need to pump it twice o minsan tatlo pa, i just what to know kung ano ang mga parts na papalitan at idadagdag. Gusto ko kasi i upgrade ang brake system, syempre safety first, better safe than sorry.

try to match the master cylinder to the wheel cylinder and calipers. if you have to pump three times, the master cylinder might have an internal leak or is a mismatch to the actuators (wheel cylinders and calipers). the vacuum brake booster just assists you to reduce the brake pedal effort. if it takes pumping the pedal, check the brake shoe adjustment to make sure the clearance between the shoes and the drums are not beyond 2 millimeters.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    try to match the master cylinder to the wheel cylinder and calipers. if you have to pump three times, the master cylinder might have an internal leak or is a mismatch to the actuators (wheel cylinders and calipers). the vacuum brake booster just assists you to reduce the brake pedal effort. if it takes pumping the pedal, check the brake shoe adjustment to make sure the clearance between the shoes and the drums are not beyond 2 millimeters.
    thanks for the info, but i want to know is what are the parts that will replace or add ,because i will upgrade from "mechanical brake" to 'Hydrovac".

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the info, but i'm what i what to know is what are the parts that will install, because i will upgrade from "mechanical brake" to 'Hydraulic brake".
    you mean your brakes right now are fully mechanical, using cables and linkages without the use of hydraulics? unless you are driving a 1908 ford model t, it will have some sort of hydraulics.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    you mean your brakes right now are fully mechanical, using cables and linkages without the use of hydraulics? unless you are driving a 1908 ford model t, it will have some sort of hydraulics.
    mechanics call it "mechanical brake" , yung kailangan mo i pump yung brake para gumana, like on those jeepneys. our owner type jeep was assembled in the late 80's , wala sya nung bilog na kinakabitan ng master cylinder.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Good day mga sir.

Better ask a nearby mechanic.
    But my intelligent guess is that you need a whole assembly of brakemaster + hydrovac. Also, check your 4K engine if the hyrdovac can be connected to it. Hydrovac needs a little bit of vaccuum to operate properly.

Just hope that the brake calipers and rear brake system can be used as is.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    mechanics call it "mechanical brake" , yung kailangan mo i pump yung brake para gumana, like on those jeepneys. our owner type jeep was assembled in the late 80's , wala sya nung bilog na kinakabitan ng master cylinder.

you are really lost in the terminology and in the mechanics of how it works. you do have internet of course, try using google. this will be your first tool. information is the tool most people don't use and people tend to rely on hearsay and personal anecdotes.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    older hydraulic brakes were all drums. disc brakes came later. and with the disc brakes came the hydrovac. and as many of us found out during a brief but harrowing segment of our life, if the hydrovac loses its vacuum, even standing and jumping on the brake pedal won't give the disc brakes any appreciable bite.
    i suspect the guy's jeep is all drums, hence the lack of a hydrovac. he can try and get a hydrovac-master cylinder assembly and connect it to his current brake lines and see if it works well, although i do not remember seeing a four-drum brake vehicle with a hydrovac.. but i could be wrong. otherwise, he might just have to source disc brakes for his front wheels...

why pump the brake pedal more than once to get a half-decent brake force? i am guessing that the master cylinder and the wheel slave cylinders do not match. or may hangin.. typical of jeepney assemblers.. heh heh.

and i am sure a 4k engine has hydrovac. i used to drive a corolla liftback. 4k engine, hydrovac, discs in front and drums out back... handsome car.. sino na kaya ang nag-da-drive noon? someone from pasig, i think..

and, oh yes... the hydrovac should always match the master brake cylinder. otherwise, the brakes won't work smoothly, if at all.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 16th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I once have an old Harabas by GM. I have it fitted with a hydrovac brake system from the surplus shops. It really works well.
    The only thing added or changed are the brake lines, brake dividers, mounting bracket for the hydrovac unit, some brake linkage
    modification. This can be done in your neighborhood talyer who do mechanical modifications.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    you are really lost in the terminology and in the mechanics of how it works. you do have internet of course, try using google. this will be your first tool. information is the tool most people don't use and people tend to rely on hearsay and personal anecdotes.
    i think he means a conventional hydraulic brake system without vacuum assist that is why he quoted "mechanical brake"..

malamang all drum brakes yan owner jeep.. drum brakes are mechanically stronger kaya kahit walang vacuum assist malakas unlike ng disc brakes na kailangan ng vacuum assist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast