New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi po,

I've gone through a lot of threads and read them. It seems that most of the people prefer gas type of kyb shock replacement; however, most of them point it out that they prefer kyb gas type (excel-g aka gr-2) because of the stiffer aspect and good cornering (less chassis flex).

In my case, I am just an ordinary road user who wants a well maintained brand new feel in an 8-yr old car stock car with no plans of any sort of performance upgrade. BTW I am using a Lancer GLX 2000 4g15 SOHC carb engine.

There were several points considered between gas vs fluid in particular they say that gas shocks are more durable than fluid types that is in exchange of a stiffer ride.

In as much that I want to replace it with original shocks from MMC, I can't do it because it's too expensive. All I can settle with is an aftermarket replacement such as kyb, tokico, or monroe. However it boils down to a common denominator - gas or fluid.

It's ok for me to spend a little more with gas, as long as I can achieve the comfort of an almost "brand new feel" of an old car in comparison with a fluid type.

I don't go for speed. I go for a safe and comfortable ride always.

Ty po sa lahat ng mga previous posters regarding shocks at sana po matulungan ninyo ako sa halos dalawang linggo ko nang pinag-iisipang disisyon.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    You've pretty much nailed all the information you could need in choosing shocks.

If you want to play it safe, determine what type of shocks your car came with (most likely fluid), as well as the OEM manufacturer, then go get similar shocks from that manufacturer if they have more affordable options.

I had the shocks of my ride changed recently, ang OEM pala ng ranger e kyb sa harap, tapos tokico sa likod.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i made a mistake of getting gas shocks for my ride. too harsh. since your inclined into comfortable driving, go fluid.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Go for Tokico gas shocks. KYB fluid shocks tumatagas agad. Mine lasted only for less than a year. Yung KYB gas shocks naman, sobrang harsh.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Go OEM. Tiis ka na lang muna without your car para mabili mo yon shocks. If you dont use your car 4 two weeks that sjould be enough gas savings to cover for your shocks.

Just another point of view.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You can't go wrong with Bilstein Comforts if they have an application for your car. Then again, your wallet might disagree...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    makiki-post lang po. if comfort is what someone is up to, is it advisable to put FLUID TYPE sa FRONT then GAS sa REAR? or go FLUID TYPE all the way?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    soft-comfort ride and price wise go kyb fluid.
    firmer-control price wise go kyb gas.
    firmer-control-comfort but heavy on the wallet go Bilstiens.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo18 View Post
    makiki-post lang po. if comfort is what someone is up to, is it advisable to put FLUID TYPE sa FRONT then GAS sa REAR? or go FLUID TYPE all the way?
    I would suggest gas infront (where the engine is)for the reason of durability and control, fluids at the rear...but mag all the way kana gas or fluids on all fours.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You can also try to have your shocks repaired. Had mine done by Cruven last year and so far so good. Cheap and good enough for daily use. They have a website, just google their name. There is another company called Zee that does the same thing. You can also do a search as both of them have been discussed numerous times in tsikot.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
help in choosing replacement shocks litong lito na ??? :(