New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Ok, got it. If the tester says it needs to be replaced, do I let the service center do a drain and refill? How much fluid does it usually take to be in the optimal level for the 2018 Subaru XV (it doesn't say in the manual)? If the 1L isn't consumed, can the leftover be used after a few years as long as its cap is properly closed?

well if you test only at the reservoir then you only get results from the fluid in the reservoir (which really doesn't get exposed to the elements)

the fluid inside the brakes at each wheel are going to be a lot more contaminated. water and stuff can get past rubber seals

so just replace every 2 to 3 yrs and you'll be fine

btw try to consume the whole bottle. i only use fluid from a new sealed bottle whenever i replace brake fluid

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I call it bleed and re-fill.

No special tools and talent needed, just loosen the bleeder valve, step on the brakes to let the old fluid out, close the bleeder nut then repeat procedure untill fresh fluid is visible. Do it on all four brake cylinders then re-fill reservoir before getting past the low level to avoid air coming in the lines.

Reservoir has a small breather hole and over time or when left to humid environ, water accumulates in the hygroscopic oil/brake fluid. And when it does that, since water is denser than oil it goes down to the lowest part of brake system causing corrosion and leaks/stucked up cylinders.

Replace brake/clutch fluids based on what is stated on user manual or depending on condition upon inspection during PMS. If cylinders moves barely/ stucked and leaks are visible then its a tell-tale sign of corrosion damaging the seals, cylinders need service/ needs flushing.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Ok. So how much fluid exactly should I need to buy and bring to the service center when I have my car serviced?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Ok. So how much fluid exactly should I need to buy and bring to the service center when I have my car serviced?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Just buy a liter. Puwede na yan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Fusion R said the brake fluid of my car is still clean so I just said "ok, let's not change it muna". I forgot what the discussion was here and that the contamination is more on the brakes at each wheel. I should've known better and just let them proceed with the brake fluid change. They also told me that my car's front and back brake pads are still thick.

Why is it recommended to replace the brake fluid and brake pads at the same time?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Why is it recommended to replace the brake fluid and brake pads at the same time?
    my wild guess is,
    brake pads replacement is, what, every 20-30K km? that's about within the wide range of recommended brake fluid replacement.
    "besides, you're already almost set up for brake fluid replacement, when you replace the brake pads." kaunting maniobra na lang yan, for brake fluid replacement..
    why delay the inevitable, and force yourself to come back another day for the brake fluid replacement?
    but this is just me.

googling, gave somewhat confusing and contrary replies.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 8th, 2021 at 02:33 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Brake pads need changing when it squeals. If I'm gonna have them replaced, a liter of dot4 isn't that expensive. They have the flushing equipment naman.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I use a hygrometer to test the fluid. There are a lot of cheap ones in Lazada/Shopee. I noticed 2-2.5 years is about the time it takes to get to 4+% water.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I purchased this car show pa ata. di ko maalala magkano but i remember among DOT4s it was cheap and made in Japan to boot.

20211008_133813.jpg

10. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    For brakes it's not called drain and fill. It's a pressurised system so drain and fill will introduce air in the system. To avoid this most shops have brake flush machines. No leftovers too.
    Do you know which shop uses brake flush machines? I asked Fusion R and Motor Image and they both do manual bleeding.

No leftovers because it absorbs moisture through time while in the bottle since the bottle is not hermetically sealed? Is this applicable for other oils (CVTF, engine, gear) too?

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    well if you test only at the reservoir then you only get results from the fluid in the reservoir (which really doesn't get exposed to the elements)

the fluid inside the brakes at each wheel are going to be a lot more contaminated. water and stuff can get past rubber seals

so just replace every 2 to 3 yrs and you'll be fine

btw try to consume the whole bottle. i only use fluid from a new sealed bottle whenever i replace brake fluid
    Ahh, that makes sense. So those testers aren't really that useful at all? Do auto shops even use those? What do they use as basis in telling that the fluid needs changing already?

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Brake pads need changing when it squeals. If I'm gonna have them replaced, a liter of dot4 isn't that expensive. They have the flushing equipment naman.
    So even though the brake pads are still thick I still need to change them if they squeal? I hear occasional faint squeals only when braking while the road is wet/raining. I thought a brake system cleaning is the solution to that.

A liter of DOT4 isn't expensive but there's still labor involved as I'm not confident in doing it myself. I asked 2211 Works just now and they do it manually too for P800. Their rate is definitely more reasonable than Fusion R's (P1500).

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    my wild guess is,
    brake pads replacement is, what, every 20-30K km? that's about within the wide range of recommended brake fluid replacement.
    "besides, you're already almost set up for brake fluid replacement, when you replace the brake pads." kaunting maniobra na lang yan, for brake fluid replacement..
    why delay the inevitable, and force yourself to come back another day for the brake fluid replacement?
    but this is just me.

googling, gave somewhat confusing and contrary replies.
    So brake pad replacement interval is also based on distance traveled? I also get conflicting answers from different people. Fusion R says the pads are still thick and do not need replacement yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast