New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ramibel View Post
    My two-cents worth. I would guess the original intent of decreasing the wheel-wheel well distance is to improve the look - the "stance" - of the vehicle. In this case, simply lowering the car with aftermarket springs will achieve this purpose. Going to bigger rims with lower profile tires is another matter altogether. I read once that a rule-of thumb for a good "stance" or look to a vehicle's profile is to make sure that the tire's sidewall is thicker than the visible space in the wheel well. That's why cars with low-profile tires look "lifted" when they maintain their stock springs/ suspension height.
    actually yun lng po gusto mngyari, bawasan yung distance between wheel and wheelwell, pangit kc tignan. gusto ko sna mdyo subsub ng ng konti yung front ng car.
    well thank you for the info. springs lng pla yung kailangan palitan

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    You know you have anti-roll bars, struts, etc...so your car won't roll as much. That's a very different scenario. I would assume the author's car is bone stock.

In general, having a higher car will produce more body roll provided everything else remains the same. Then again how much difference does one usually have when lowering/increasing ground clearance? Not much, dahil di naman "lifted" yung car.

Sometimes, body roll is good too. Some cars were designed to roll.

But going back to the author of this thread, the cost will depend on what items you purchase and how much drop you want. Some manufacturers have adjustable shocks, some have coilovers, some have extra items involved like spacers, etc. So read around and find out what you really want, then give it a shot.

Most often pinuputol lang yung springs. This isn't the best, in fact it is the worst idea. Cutting springs will change its characteristic since the length has been reduced but the other properties remain the same (coil thickness, material, etc).
    if i cut the springs, hihina b sya, i meant for example sa bako2 or sa humps mgiging mtagtag b yung effect s car

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lightninmcqueen View Post
    if i cut the springs, hihina b sya, i meant for example sa bako2 or sa humps mgiging mtagtag b yung effect s car

yes, cutting the springs would increase the spring rate(harder/matagtag).. and that would deffinately shorten the life of your struts..

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    There are the springs that are considered to be OE replacements... If you didn't know, you can lower a car by swapping springs and not need any of those other things done... I'd go with springs first, if anythine else needed, then get to that, but it's more likely not to happen...

partially true, depending on what type of suspension you have in your car.

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cut springs give you less suspension travel before you hit the bump stops. Not a big problem if the springs are stiff in the first place, as on a Civic SiR or a Lynx RS, but a big problem on a softly-tuned Corolla.

Actually sports springs are a good idea if you're going to get big wheels anyway, as long as they don't lower the car too much, as they can help keep a larger wheel from rubbing. Of course, if you're going this route, you might need to go ahead and upgrade the shocks, too, as suggested above. I've popped one or two gas struts myself with lowering springs. They were aftermarket, but apparently, not heavy duty enough.

RE: body roll when lifting... depends on how much the big mags and tires will lift your car. If you want a good thickness of tire on a 17" mag for a Corolla, you're looking at 45-series tires, which would give you less than 1" ground clearance increase from a 185-60-14 tire (just guessing on stock sizes here).

That's not much in terms of a raised COG, and the grippier tires will more than make up for it.
    Last edited by niky; September 21st, 2006 at 03:06 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m View Post
    I'm not talking about your car.Anyway,Why don't you try to increase it by 5 inches and let see if you're not goin to notice a body roll.
    I didn't tell you to take my car as a subject and base all cars to it, if not one of you got it, just the ground clearance itself doesn't do anything to affect body roll... you increase the height of the car which increases ground clearance, but does the ground clearance lead to body roll? NO... it's de/increasing the height (if the car is sitting on adjustable coilovers) that causes the suspension to act differently... Lowering it stiffens the springs, and softens when you higher it... but this, 90% of the time only applies to linear springs (springs that mostly come with coilovers as part of the system), and even with linear springs, whether you increase or decrease the height don't make that much of a difference... why? because when you corner hard or when the car is in it's cornering limits the springs are, if not close to, are in it's maximum rate per lbs capability regardless of whatever the height of the car is...

Now in the original poster's case, I doubt he'll be interested with anything about body roll, but I suggest getting progressive type springs as it is what's ideal for a daily driver, it's more shock friendly than linear springs, and get something close to stock spring rates...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    cutting the springs is the STUPIDEST idea IMHO... I don't even consider it as one of the options/route one could go... RICERS do that! please don't be one... Don't ruin your suspension by doing that stupid thing, even some cut springs get cracked over time... what a dumb idea... (apologize to those who have done this)...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    yes, cutting the springs would increase the spring rate(harder/matagtag).. and that would deffinately shorten the life of your struts..
    I think it actually decreases the spring rate of the springs? A spring is designed and is rated to spec, what happens if you take a part of it away? You lose it's integrity and by partially taking off the materials you weaken it, which leads to a softer spring... Also, doing this does make the shock go out pretty quick ~ shocks and springs are designed to work as one, what happens is if you cut the springs, the shocks get too much load, which the springs are supposed to hold, or to help the shocks to catch... A significantly lower spring rate becomes too selfish that it passes it's job onto the shocks, which then causes them to eventually give out...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    partially true, depending on what type of suspension you have in your car.

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html
    when "OE replacement" is mentioned, it refers to something that can be safely used along with the rest of the OE system... it doesn't depend on what type of suspension you have in your car ~ you have OEM suspension, otherwise it won't be necesarry to go with such "OE" replacements...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I could adjust the height of my car giving it more ground clearance yet wouldn't notice increase in body roll...
    I didn't tell you to take my car as a subject and base all cars to it
    You have conflicting statements there. You initiated talk about your car, then you go on telling us not to use your car as a subject.

when you corner hard or when the car is in it's cornering limits the springs are, if not close to, are in it's maximum rate per lbs capability regardless of whatever the height of the car is...
    Not everybody corners hard and most of the time, people do not corner hard.

you increase the height of the car which increases ground clearance, but does the ground clearance lead to body roll? NO... it's de/increasing the height (if the car is sitting on adjustable coilovers) that causes the suspension to act differently...
    Ground clearance per se does not lead to body roll, but by increasing ground clearance by lifting the car, then that leads to body roll. Even the slightest amount, to be technical, yes it does lead to increased body roll depending on the car's chassis and design. Normal compact cars will have similar designs so they will react normally, unlike tuned sports cars. But you already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by lightninmcqueen View Post
    actually yun lng po gusto mngyari, bawasan yung distance between wheel and wheelwell, pangit kc tignan. gusto ko sna mdyo subsub ng ng konti yung front ng car.
    well thank you for the info. springs lng pla yung kailangan palitan
    It looks like you'll just need a good set of lowering springs, maybe larger size rims of your choice ng design pang porma, and a good set of shocks para match yung lowering spring rate sa shocks. That way hindi premature yung wear ng either one.

Read the link about carbible, that's good info right there.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    oh i see, i have 195/50/15 wheels, ok n b yun? dpat pla when i buy lowering springs ksma rin shocks pra mgcompliment cla. muntik k ng ipacut yung springs k knina.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
distance between wheel and wheel well