New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you get bigger tires for the sole purpose of filling out the wheel-well, it'll ride badly. There'll be much more weight and a bigger wheel bouncing up and down on the shock/strut, causing lots of rubbing and wear.

Same case if you put a larger wheel and relatively more rubber... expect inaccurate speedometer readings, a bouncy ride and lots of rubbing.

See, larger wheel + thin tire = stiff ride... larger wheel + non-low-profile tire = bouncy ride, decreased suspension travel and increased ride height... which ain't good on stock springs.

A +1 upgrade (from 14" to 15" or 15" to 16") is usually okay, and try to match the overall size of the stock wheel... the Miata.net calculator greenthumb posted is perfect for this. Try not to get a tire that's too wide... most old FWD cars will experience rubbing of the tire against the fender if you go over 205mm in width. And, trust me, you're never going to be driving hard or fast enough to need a tire wider than that.

If you get sports springs, opt for a slightly less stiff brand, like Merwede. Of course, for the Corolla in particular, you might want to ask on a Toyota board to find out what other owners are using.
    True...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaztro View Post
    Why not get a bigger rims or lowering springs.
    Ser, wala tayo sa 4x4ph.com.

Pero pwede iyan if you want the 'rally racer' look for your car...

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    I don't know what the heck you talking about... use standard english terms if not tagalog, please...
    It's truck talk. Something which may or may not be applicable in this case.

I also went to a 2" taller set of shoes.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Ser, wala tayo sa 4x4ph.com.

Pero pwede iyan if you want the 'rally racer' look for your car...
    Hahaha Otep, I said big rims not big tires.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    My two-cents worth. I would guess the original intent of decreasing the wheel-wheel well distance is to improve the look - the "stance" - of the vehicle. In this case, simply lowering the car with aftermarket springs will achieve this purpose. Going to bigger rims with lower profile tires is another matter altogether. I read once that a rule-of thumb for a good "stance" or look to a vehicle's profile is to make sure that the tire's sidewall is thicker than the visible space in the wheel well. That's why cars with low-profile tires look "lifted" when they maintain their stock springs/ suspension height.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    how would it make the car prone to body roll???

more ground clearance,more body roll.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m View Post
    more ground clearance,more body roll.
    I could adjust the height of my car giving it more ground clearance yet wouldn't notice increase in cody roll...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I could adjust the height of my car giving it more ground clearance yet wouldn't notice increase in cody roll...
    I'm not talking about your car.Anyway,Why don't you try to increase it by 5 inches and let see if you're not goin to notice a body roll.
    Last edited by ronald_m; September 21st, 2006 at 10:38 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the body roll is a red herring. nobody lifts a car 5 inches. maybe a truck, yes, but a car, no. and trucks are already infamous for having lots of body roll.

a 1" lift would be about 2% lift. yes, more body roll. measurable? probably not.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You know you have anti-roll bars, struts, etc...so your car won't roll as much. That's a very different scenario. I would assume the author's car is bone stock.

In general, having a higher car will produce more body roll provided everything else remains the same. Then again how much difference does one usually have when lowering/increasing ground clearance? Not much, dahil di naman "lifted" yung car.

Sometimes, body roll is good too. Some cars were designed to roll.

But going back to the author of this thread, the cost will depend on what items you purchase and how much drop you want. Some manufacturers have adjustable shocks, some have coilovers, some have extra items involved like spacers, etc. So read around and find out what you really want, then give it a shot.

Most often pinuputol lang yung springs. This isn't the best, in fact it is the worst idea. Cutting springs will change its characteristic since the length has been reduced but the other properties remain the same (coil thickness, material, etc).

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
distance between wheel and wheel well