New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaztro View Post
    Why not get a bigger rims or lowering springs.
    that's a no no... not only will it make the car look to be it's worst look, but also will it make the speedo off... oh and it's a more expesive option...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    another way of looking at it..

is it safe to put, say, 225/60R17's on your typical car? that would definitely reduce the wheel to wheel well distance, and as an added bonus increase ground clearance a bit.

not too pretty to look at, but.. large rims and thin rubber make the ride bumpy anyway.

any drawbacks to this? would it cause tire rubbing against the fender liner when turning?
    no matte what size of rims you switch to, you have to keep in mind that you need to maintain the overall diameter of the wheel w/tire... you go with bigger rims, you'll have to get tires with shorter sidewalls... that's how it is and it won't make sense doing that just to decrease the wheel gap...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m View Post

I can see alot of body roll. It will rubbed on typical car(i.e. corolla,civic)plus it will messed up your speedometer.and it will look like a tank.
    how would it make the car prone to body roll???

4. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    that's a no no... not only will it make the car look to be it's worst look, but also will it make the speedo off... oh and it's a more expesive option...
    Is that so? How come other guys put rim 17's in their rides? So you mean to say their ride are in its worst look?

Yeah, i'm pretty aware that changing your original size of your rim/tyres will change your speedo/odometer readings just like my 4x4 does from 27's tires to 31's.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    branded lowering springs costs in the range of US$150-$200, not to mention that you'll need to get after market struts/shocks to match your lowering springs. as using your OEM struts will just blow in a few weeks.. months.. + camber kit(if applicable) + 4wheel allignment if you are concearned with tire wear..
    You can just get lowering springs with low spring rates, somewhere close or just up to 50lbs higher than stock... It's been done countless times and no the shocks won't blow, as long as you don't drive it like you stole it...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Is that so? How come other guys put rim 17's in their rides? So you mean to say their ride are in its worst look?
    well bigger rims with bigger tires making the overall diameter 2" bigger - that's what I was referring to if you didn't get that, and that's just my own opinion, you ever thought of that? sorry I forgot to put IMHO in that post...

Yeah, i'm pretty aware that changing your original size of your rim/tyres will change your speedo/odometer readings just like my 4x4 does from 27's tires to 31's.
    then why advice to do the same thing to other person's car???

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    well bigger rims with bigger tires making the overall diameter 2" bigger - that's what I was referring to if you didn't get that, and that's just my own opinion, you ever thought of that? sorry I forgot to put IMHO in that post...
    Oh I see. OK. I did not say bigger tires. I said bigger rims. Just asking a query, If say rim 17 with 45 series as against 15 with series 60, which tyres is farther from the wheel well?

then why advice to do the same thing to other person's car???
    We have our own set of preferences and needs and me desiring a bigger tire as opposed to not having an accurate speedo reading will suffice for my needs. That's why I advised it. If you know how to compute the difference of the new and old tyre diameter then you could estimate the speedo rating you have. There is also a tire calculator for that matter.
    Last edited by mikaztro; September 20th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Oh I see. OK. I did not say bigger tires. I said bigger rims. Just asking a query, If say rim 17 with 45 series as against 15 with series 60, which tyres if farther from the wheel well?
    I don't know what the heck you talking about... use standard english terms if not tagalog, please...

We have our own set of preferences and needs and me desiring a bigger tire as opposed to not having an accurate speedo reading will suffice for my needs. That's why I advised it. If you know how to compute the difference of the new and old tyre diameter then you could estimate the speedo rating you have. There is also a tire calculator for that matter.
    then maybe you should include that to your post/suggestion right in the beginning...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Wag mo nalang sagutin bro kung di mo alam. Pasensya kana at nagtatanong lang. Hindi ko din kasi alam eh! :D

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    You can just get lowering springs with low spring rates, somewhere close or just up to 50lbs higher than stock... It's been done countless times and no the shocks won't blow, as long as you don't drive it like you stole it...
    so how much does it cost

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
distance between wheel and wheel well