New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I'm planning on changing my stock 15 inch wheels for the 17 inch type alloy rims. What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing such?

advantages: The "porma" factor, better handling.

disadvantages: Ride quality suffers if you don't change springs / shocks, 17" tires ain't cheap.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    aside from being off the speedometer...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kaya pala ang stock 17" ng MZ3 205/50/17 at sabi ko bakit hindi ginawang 205/40 or 45. Its to minimize the off reading of the speedometer. But it looks like I can upgrade the tire to 215/45 and 1% lang differential. Kung kakasya, 225/45 and a 0.4% too slow lang ako.

Doc Diesel, thanks for the link.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Diesel
    aside from being off the speedometer...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    galing ng link! very informative

in my case, changing to the new tires (same rime though) makes me travel 7.3% slower or the speedometer reads 60kph while actual speed is 64kph

tanong ko lang:

1. does this mean that i am consuming more fuel?
    2. puede kaya i-adjust and speedometer to match the new tires?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bigger mags also mean more weight... so acceleration will be slower and more fuel will be used to accelerate the car.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    unless you get lightweight 17s

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Ride Quality - A low-profile tire such as a 50 or a 40-series looks great, but can be harsh over bumps or potholes when compared to a 55 or 60. In general, a lower profile tire also exposes the wheel to damage more easily. Lower profile tires also have stiffer sidewalls, which improves handling but increases rides harshness.... It's all about compromise and there's no such thing as free meryienda.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    konting ingat lang pag naka 17's na and i suggest you get a rota for the durability in our roads. hehehehe

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

17-inchers are definitely going to make the ride stiffer. Heavier 'pa-porma' mags will significantly increase fuel consumption and decrease performance, often to the tune of 5-10 hp at the wheels. Lighter 'performance' mags like ROTAs will minimize this consumption increase while freeing up maybe 1-2 hp at the wheels, if your stock 15s are heavy. A 17" ROTA with tire often weighs around 35-38 lbs, while stock 15s can weigh between 35-40++ lbs with tires, depending on design. Therefore, any decrease in top speed and fuel efficiency will come down to the width and height of the tire itself.

Problem with 17" ROTAs (especially with thin tires) is the increased 'bengkong' factor. Over a few years, if you go over enough potholes, they will DEFINITELY deform. Just because they're cheap and sturdy doesn't mean you don't have to be careful with them.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Changing from 15 inch to 17 inch wheels...