New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hello po!

Hindi po ako masyado familiar sa automotive terms so di ko po alam yung tawag dun sa part na nasira, pero kasi po yung cable ng speedometer di po ba, yung isang dulo nun, dun nakakabit sa gauge, yung lumulusot dun sa firewall papunta sa dashboard, tapos po yung kabilang dulo papunta sa transfer case (tama po ba?) yung sa ilalim na ng makina banda kung nasaan yung mga gear for the speedometer.

Anyway, nasira po yung pinagkakabitan nung speedometer cable dun sa may makina ng sasakyan. Parang nabasag yung isang part nung metal, pabilog po kasi iyon (yung parang housing nya), natanggal yung siguro 1/4 nya. Nakasaksak pa rin naman yung cable dun at di naman natanggal, worried lang po ako baka tuluyang masira. Napapalitan po ba iyon? Bibili ba ako ng bagong transfer case? Or pwede ko pa kaya idikit ulit yung naputol na part using steel epoxy?

Hindi po yung speedometer cable ang nasira, yung parang housing nya. Salamat.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    I believe you are referring the casing assembly. If the casing assembly of the cable is broken you have to remove it and replace. It has a threaded connector that screws onto the speedometer. Pull the cable casing and repleace a new one or use. You can still use the old cable if you want just clean it good and put some lube, its probably that cable is dry or better get a new cable and lube it when you install it.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the information v6dreamer. Does this mean that I can buy a casing assembly and just replace the broken one? Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    double post sorry...
    Last edited by cherieannc; March 18th, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: double post

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cherieannc View Post
    Thanks for the information v6dreamer. Does this mean that I can buy a casing assembly and just replace the broken one? Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Thanks again.
    Yes, you can replace the broken casing if that is the one you are referring( its a black color w/cable on the inside). How much it cost? Sorry no idea.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hi v6dreamer, I'm not sure if were referring to the same component. I'm talking about the metal housing itself, that's why in my original post I was asking if I could use steel epoxy to put back the part that chipped off.

I don't think I can pull it out. The part is not attached to the speedometer cable itself such that when the speedometer cable is pulled out it also comes off.

I'm talking about the metal housing that contains the gear oil. It's not black in color. Nasira po yung pinapasukan mismo ng speedometer cable dun sa metal housing na yun.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cherieannc View Post
    Hi v6dreamer, I'm not sure if were referring to the same component. I'm talking about the metal housing itself, that's why in my original post I was asking if I could use steel epoxy to put back the part that chipped off.

I don't think I can pull it out. The part is not attached to the speedometer cable itself such that when the speedometer cable is pulled out it also comes off.

I'm talking about the metal housing that contains the gear oil. It's not black in color. Nasira po yung pinapasukan mismo ng speedometer cable dun sa metal housing na yun.
    Oh, its the tranny cable output shaft. Wow, how did you manage to break that? Its a straight shaft for your speedometer gear housing. Depending on the car you can replace the shaft and replace a new one. See if your shaft on tranny are removable or fix.

See the picture below:

This is the cable shaft as you can see there is a tread and the other end thats were the cable goes. You can un-screw the shaft itself and replace a new one. If non available, then you have to use a good glue( not just a glue) a glue that withstand cold, hot, water and oil. I suggest a JB Weld glue.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is this in a 4x4 vehicle? because only a 4x4 rig has a transfercase. you must be refering to the transmission.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    *v6dreamer - that's the part I was referring to. Our driver was checking out the speedometer and a part of tranny cable output shaft just came off when he tried to unscrew the cable, I don't know how he broke it. I think I'll just follow your suggestion of putting the chipped off part back when a really good glue or epoxy. Thanks for all your help! :-)

*afrasay - no it's not a 4x4 vehicle, it's just a sedan. I'm not really familiar with automotive terms so I didn't know what it was called.

broken speedometer transfer case