New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I have only one thing to say: sh!t happens. I drive civilly, thank you. It's when sh!t happens that I have to brake forcefully and I get the lockup. Can't predict everything on the road now can you?

Thanks Speedy for the advice.

I'm just sharing my observations. On my old ride, a 1999 SX8 Honda City 1.5, I scarcely had lockup problems. Same driving style, same everything---I was even harder on that car.

Before advising me to change my driving habits, I would advise you to try driving a Jazz first and see just how easily the onset of lockup is achieved---Mbeige has already vouched for this.

Anyway I've upgraded my rubber as Niky's suggested, so I'll observe any improvements. So far the incidence of lockup has been reduced---maybe it is down to the rubber after all.
    Last edited by Type 100; April 13th, 2008 at 09:06 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    in ABS equipped autos ba pag nag palit ka to bigger or smaller tires it would affect the performance of the ABS? and what is the remedy for a OVER-REACTING ABS?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Update:
    It looks like better tires did the trick! I was braking harder than usual this morning (safely of course), and I never got a single squeal of lockup from the tires.

Thanks Niky

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    May I ask what tires you used previously? Good to hear you feel safer braking now. I hope sh!t won't happen for you for quite some time.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Mbeige,
    Thanks bro. My old tires were the stock Michelin Vivacys. The fronts had little tread depth left, so I switched them with the rears. However I noticed lockup even with the thicker-treaded pair up front. Maybe the tire compound has something to do with it?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    That's possible, like I said when I have the 15" Michelins (stock ones also) I find that when I toss the car around it slides a bit more and brakes a bit longer, though it's more compliant with the softer sidewall to dampen whatever they pass on, as compared to the 17" Dunlops.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Michelin Vivacy? Are they "fuel saving" tires? Michelin's high economy tires have a downside... long braking distances. That's par for the course for economy tires, and part of the reason second-gen Prius's come on bigger rolling stock.

And it seems that your tires are past their good rubber. Some tires lose grip as you wear them down... they have harder, slicker rubber underneath the top layer.

A better tire compound should do. Though how much better depends on what your tire budget is. But you got new ones na? What type?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I upgraded to Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Positions in the 205/45ZR16 size, about two weeks ago. They're a pretty old design by now so they've depreciated by a lot. Induced a lockup this morning...it was notable how much more pedal effort it took to get a chirp out of them. I practically had to drop-kick the pedal. Color me impressed

Regarding the Vivacys as fuel saving tires, I'm not too sure...but they're definitely not the high-performance type. They came stock on the Jazz.
    Last edited by Type 100; April 16th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I hope you didn't get NOS tires, the tires have a manufacture code stamped on the sidewall indicating what week of what year it was manufactured. Since I'm not familiar with the model of tires you purchased I'm just mentioning this in the interest of safety

What a way to break in (not so new) tires! I hope you don't do this often, as flat spots can happen which will lead to imbalanced tires. Well I guess maybe that's why you went with the cheaper ones to practice on? hehe
    Last edited by mbeige; April 16th, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    OT:

sirs how can i determine if soft compound ang tire? yung GY eagle f1 ba soft compound din? TIA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Brake System upgrade talk