New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hi guys. I have a few questions on upgrading my Jazz's brakes. Currently it's got front discs and rear drums with a supposed stock 70%/30% split in brake bias front/rear. Nothing really wrong with the current items (except lockup---I got no ABS) but I'd like to improve on what I deem a critical part of the car.

I wanted to ask if upgrading/installing any of the following items would have an appreciable increase in braking performance.

1) EBC Greenstuff brake pads (for the front discs)
    2) bigger rotors
    3) braided steel brake lines (for the front discs)
    4) a slightly bigger brake master cylinder (BMC) - I heard this can make braking a little more progressive and reduce the incidence of brake lockup.

Lastly are there any upgrades you can do for rear drum brakes? I know they have supposedly just 30% of the brake force on my car but any added performance will surely be welcome.

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go for the performance brake pads & reface your rotors if it's already uneven.

Then from there, check if the braking power is enough for you.

bigbigcar.com Review: Toyota Avanza 1.5G

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    When I drove the Jazz the brakes are already pretty strong, considering it's lightweight too. The ventilated fronts are enough for my needs, maybe something is off with your braking system? I don't know if your lack of ABS is a hindrance, because ours has ABS though one "upgrade" I'd like to do is lower the sensitivity of the ABS. More than once I've had surprises when driving and going over potholes when the ABS would activate and pulsate the brake pedal. Sometimes I go over the bumps while I'm not stepping on the brakes and I could hear the brake pedal pulsating.

I know there are conversion kits for the rears so you can have rear discs but I'm not familiar of its availability, installation and cost.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    mbeige:
    Yep I actually like the Jazz's brakes as they are, with only one criticism: on non-ABS units like mine, it's actually pretty easy to induce a lockup. It's happened on more than one occasion.

Given this observation, I don't think the excessive sensitivity of the ABS sensors is excessive at all---it seems that's just them doing their job. The brakes themselves are just that easy to lock up. That's why I was considering a slightly larger brake master cylinder to help alleviate this---the larger BMC seems to make brake modulation more progressive instead of an "on/off" deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys; this is just the conclusion I've arrived at after reading a number of tuning magazines and my own observations.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... it'll all depend on the size of your wallet.

For me, the most "sulit" upgrades are stainless braided lines and good pads. EBC pads are great, but remember, that's an expense that you have to do over and over again as they wear down.

Lots of stuff you can do. For mild street use, you can upgrade to Runstop rotors... they're a cheap upsize/upgrade for your stock system... a friend in the fordclub is the local dealer, and he sells through Speedlab (just look up speedlab.com.ph ).

If it's too easy to induce lock-up, you can also look at another possible culprit... the tires. A better compound of tire will increase braking power at the edge of lock-up every time. I did this with my non-ABS disc-and-drum Sentra, and it stopped better than my ABS-equipped 4-disc Sentra.

Remember, your number one limit in braking force is the tires. Once you've upgraded to better tires and the brakes still can't cope, that's when you start tearing into your system.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Niky has a point with tires. When I drove the Jazz with its stock 15" Michelin tires I would have to give it more time to brake than with the 17" Dunlops. Now that you mentioned it, it seems that activating the ABS was also easier with the Michelins.

You're right with the on/off feel though, especially when in stop and go traffic. Napapansin ko yon, you release the brake but only after a certain amount of foot lift will the brakes disengage, unlike other cars that feel more direct so when you release the brake you can crawl along with the brakes applied partially. With the Jazz you can, but it's margin is very small so it will easily grab, I think that's why it's easy to lock up and it's easy to trigger the ABS. Good point there, I didn't think of it that way.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Niky:
    Thanks for the very sensible info. Yep, I upgraded my wheel and tire package recently, but I haven't really had to push the brakes to the point of lockup since then (no sudden stop situations encountered yet). Let's see what happens.

As for EBCs...the casa sort of bullied me into replacing my stock pads anyway on my last PMS. Those stock pads aren't cheap; they're actually close to the price of the Greenstuff pads IIRC. Most damning though is I found out the casa's replacement was unnecessary---I found this out via the electronic shop manual for the Jazz

mbeige:
    Yeah the grabby modulation can be a b*tch at times...I got used to it in normal driving, but when you gotta brake suddenly for any reason, that's all too easy to forget.

Anyway, to repeat my question: is there any hope for upgrading the rear drum brakes? Not even a set of performance drum brake shoes?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It shouldn't be an issue. 90% of the braking is in front. Best you can do, I guess... is wait for a wrecked 1.5 and get the brakes from that.

I don't know about the Jazz. but on most cars,, the brake bias is heavily geared towards the front... so the fronts will trigger the ABS first. So the rears shouldn't be an issue until you get to do some heavy track work.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    tanabe pads should be ok. if stock they lock up then it might be a driving problem. hindi dapat mag lock up ganun kabilis unless you really stomp on them.

a bigger brake master will get you to lock up more since it will be pushing more fluid. only replace it if you are upgrading calipers.

it's going to be hard to find a set of ssbl's just for the front imo. APP has SSBL's available for the gd1 and gd3 chassis which are about 10k for the set. you will also need good brake fluid to go along with it.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    agree with speedyfix, may be you should look into your driving habits - in particular braking habits.

wouldn't it be safer to drive with the right speed that will allow you to brake properly without the brakes locking-out?!?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Brake System upgrade talk