New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakila7 View Post
    * boybi

if unfortunately walang center diff yung terrano, that means whenever i engage to 4wd yung takbo ko dapat straightline lang? TIA.
    If the Terrano don't have center differential, you MUST NOT engage your 4WD in high traction surfaces like paved roads. You may engage it only in loose traction surfaces like dirt roads, sands, and muds.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    From the numerous sites I visited, the Terano should have a lockable central diff. In fact, certain models even has central diff that can be switched between locked and LSD. Maybe a peek at the owners manual would answer your question.

I honestly have never ridden in a Terano. Though in the Pajero we used to have some 5 years ago, I believe it has two 4WD modes; 4WD and 4WD-L, I think. 4WD-L simply means that the center diff is locked.
    The Pajero's transfer case have 2H, 4H, 4H-LC, and 4L-LC.

The 4H mode engages all 4 wheels with the center differential open.

The 4H-LC and 4L-LC will engage the 4WD and lock the center differential.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    The Pajero's transfer case have 2H, 4H, 4H-LC, and 4L-LC.

The 4H mode engages all 4 wheels with the center differential open.

The 4H-LC and 4L-LC will engage the 4WD and lock the center differential.
    Thanks for the clarification.

OT: You can tell that I didn't get to use that Pajero much (my parent's). Only time I got behind the wheel is when I was backing it out of the garage so I can get my car in and out. :D

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    * boybi

if unfortunately walang center diff yung terrano, that means whenever i engage to 4wd yung takbo ko dapat straightline lang? TIA.
    Walang center differential ang terrano, sir Dakila. So never engage 4WD when driving on paved roads otherwide magkakaroon ng axel binding as explained earlier by sir Boybi. The nissan terrano was my first 4x4 vehicle and it got me interested in fourwheeling .

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Check your CV joints if they are well greased and if your axle boots are still in one piece. Check the oil level of your front differential. The front diffs make a sound when doing tight turns - its actually the tires grinding. Visit the terrano club at www.4x4ph.com. Filmars is an excellent 4x4 shop right beside UCPB across Rats 4x4 past white plains ave at the start of katipunan. Look for rod. Good luck.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa mga nag-abalang mag-post mga ser.... hardcharger, horsepower, boybi, oj88, G01 and oceanrider88 maraming salamat sa inyo. marami akong natutunan.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if local terrano yan and not subic walang center locking diff yan. tama si boybi, binding ang tawag diyan. nasa sun visor ng terrano mo yan precaution on using your 4wd system. di naman siguro nasira yan unless you heard a loud "THUG".

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    then the day after (nahugasan na yung oto) out of curiosity in a paved road i engaged to 4wd - driving slowly going forward ok naman, no problem. then i try to turn - ayun... there goes the grinding sound again and the steering shakes - this happens if i turn either to the left or to the right.

hopefully hindi ko naman na-damage yung front diffs nor the t-case. kaya nga medyo worried ako and i wanted your opinions / recommendations para i know my next step/s
    Hi Dakila7,

You shouldn't have done that. You really won't be able to turn your wheel on high traction surfaces with your 4WD engaged. The reason for this is that all 4 wheels are with power and you loose the use of your differential which makes it difficult to turn your wheel since all wheels have traction and power.

The noises you heard are normal if you do. And of course, when you disengage 4WD, things go back to normal.

Hopefully, you didn't try to drive it far after hearing the noises and as long as you didn't hear any catastrophic mechanical failing noise, you should be ok but NEVER do that again!

If you want to check your 4WD system, go to an area with loose dirt, sand, soil, etc and turn on your system and try to observe your vehicle if all 4 wheels have power. If they all turn, then your t-case and front diff is still working. Also for your diffs, if you can turn the vehicle with them unlocked without any weird noises then they're still good.

Good luck!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mga dudes, just an update i had a chance to use 4wd last sunday the trail was muddy (6 inches of mud give or take) but dont get me wrong i was there just by accident - in fact sort of stranded. i managed to steer thru the flat section just fine... kaso may part na paahon.. not steep though pero medyo mahaba and yung nauna sa akin na jeep was sidelined. so after a few minutes of studying the terrain ahead and continuous prayer i engaged to 4wd buti na lang auto engage yung hubs (salamat technology) much to my amazement i was able to pass thru that sloping part with negligible slips... swerte lang siguro. anyways... i think that would be my last 4wd experience if i could help it. if there's a next time and if i have a choice sana pasahero na lang ako. and because of that experience i have so much respect for the guys who has so much passion for off-roading. mountain bike na alng ako... hehehe.

again.. salamat sa mga nag post ng opinions nila... salamat.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    OT: most 4wheelers manual locking hubs

enjoy naman mag 4wheeling eh that sound is because the front and rear diff is forced to rotate the same way. walang differentation kaya nakakahig ang isang gulong mo.

and, sana hindi yun ang last good experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
4wd hassle