New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    patulong naman... the ride is a terrano with 4wd option. for the longest time nasa 2wd lang lagi sya. then one time i need to get out of a muddy situation so nag 4wd ako. ok naman kaso when i started to steer ayun... para akong nakikipaglaban and parang may gumagaralgal na gear . am not much of a DIY guy... well at least not anymore tsaka mukhang mas mabuti pang ipagawa ko na lang. ano kaya ang problema and can any of you recommend a reputable shop w/in QC area. TIA.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi Dakila7,

Just exactly how muddy was muddy? Were you up to the fender wells in mud?

This might be a reason why you had such a difficult time turning your wheel.

Normally the grinding sound you heard comes out when you try to turn on a high traction surface with 4WD engaged. If you were bogged but trying to go in a straight line, then there should be no sound. But since you were trying to turn the wheel while stuck in mud, that may be the reason why you it's "fighting back" and producing a grinding sound.

Did you really wind up killing your front diffs and t-case? I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Do keep us posted.

Good luck.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hi hardcharger,

thanks for taking time in posting your opinion.

actually it was not so muddy mga 2-inches give or take, so kahit naka 2wd i'm sure i would have rolled off the mud. inatake lang ako ng arte that's why i engaged the 4wd.

then the day after (nahugasan na yung oto) out of curiosity in a paved road i engaged to 4wd - driving slowly going forward ok naman, no problem. then i try to turn - ayun... there goes the grinding sound again and the steering shakes - this happens if i turn either to the left or to the right.

hopefully hindi ko naman na-damage yung front diffs nor the t-case. kaya nga medyo worried ako and i wanted your opinions / recommendations para i know my next step/s

thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm. as far as I know, you are not supposed to turn-on 4WD in a paved road... because that'll kill the 4WD system. Unless yan yung automatic type (push-button) na computer controlled na.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm not sure if the Terrano have a center differential, if it doesn't have one, then you shouldn't have engaged the 4WD on a paved road.

The grinding sound is called binding. On a paved road, all four wheels should be able to rotate freely and at different speeds especially when cornering. This is what differentials do.

If the Terrano don't have a center differential like the Patrol, the front and rear differentials are locked together and always turn at the same speed, hence, the binding on high traction surfaces like paved roads. It won't be a problem on mud and slippery surfaces since the wheels will just slip.

Do you still hear the grinding sound even if you disengaged the 4WD?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Yeah that. You can still turn on 4WD but the center differential should be unlocked if this feature is available.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    ... Do you still hear the grinding sound even if you disengaged the 4WD?
    after disengaging the grinding sound disappears and steering goes back to normal..

and thank you so much for your post.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    ^ Yeah that. You can still turn on 4WD but the center differential should be unlocked if this feature is available.
    this seems to be a good idea, assuming bro na may center diff nga yung terrano - then i-unlock sya (btw how do i unlock it?). that will enable me to engage to 4wd without the "binding" tama ba"?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    * boybi

if unfortunately walang center diff yung terrano, that means whenever i engage to 4wd yung takbo ko dapat straightline lang? TIA.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    From the numerous sites I visited, the Terano should have a lockable central diff. In fact, certain models even has central diff that can be switched between locked and LSD. Maybe a peek at the owners manual would answer your question.

I honestly have never ridden in a Terano. Though in the Pajero we used to have some 5 years ago, I believe it has two 4WD modes; 4WD and 4WD-L, I think. 4WD-L simply means that the center diff is locked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
4wd hassle