New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    di ba normally pag 1.6L sedans, disc brakes na rin ung sa likod? is this a requirement(to stop the car), or more of prestige, kaya rear disc brakes ang gamit?

pansin ko kasi ung display unit ng nissan sa v-mall have rear drum brakes. i'm pretty sure it's a GSX.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    base or lower models tend to be equipped with drum brakes, of course disc brakes are better but drums are not bad at all.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Drums are cheaper to replace. Most econocars will have this, their stopping power has been increased due to developments in braking systems and their light chasses contribute to easier braking too. I was actually surprised, even the Honda Accord has drum rear brakes!!

But I still prefer rear discs of course

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the accord has drum brakes?!?

i always had this notion na 1.3L and lower = rear drum brakes, 1.6L or better = rear disc brakes B)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nope, all accords have rear disc brakes.

i think even the mid 90's models had discs down back.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    di ba normally pag 1.6L sedans, disc brakes na rin ung sa likod? is this a requirement(to stop the car), or more of prestige, kaya rear disc brakes ang gamit?

pansin ko kasi ung display unit ng nissan sa v-mall have rear drum brakes. i'm pretty sure it's a GSX.
    well, majority of the braking power of a front wheel driven car comes from the front-brakes so IMO having rear disc brakes on a front wheel drive car doesn't equate to significant advantage against those that has rear drum brakes, it looks good though.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I used to drive two Sentras at the same time, one was a 1.6 Exalta with 4 discs, the other was a 1.3 FE with rear drums. The one with rear drums actually stopped just as well, and, because of the overactive ABS on the 4-disc one, actually better in slippery conditions.

The most important part of the braking system is the front brakes. As long as the rears are powerful enough to retard the car without locking up too easily, it doesn't really matter if they're disc or drum.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For normal day to day driving, rear drums will suffice. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes anyway.

However, for track or agressive use with constant braking from high speeds, disc brakes will be more fade resistant.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    the accord has drum brakes?!?

i always had this notion na 1.3L and lower = rear drum brakes, 1.6L or better = rear disc brakes B)
    I saw it myself, it was I think a 2004 Accord (maybe base model kaya drum rears). I did a search too on the online store I frequent, the base model of the Accord shows no rear discs/pads:

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...ke%20Pad%20Set

I was looking some more and here's the official Honda site with specs of their base model Accord - rear drums!!

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...e=Accord+Sedan

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm maybe the USDM accord gets drums. but the local accord here has discs on all fours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
a 1.6L sedan with drum brakes?