New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    well, majority of the braking power of a front wheel driven car comes from the front-brakes so IMO having rear disc brakes on a front wheel drive car doesn't equate to significant advantage against those that has rear drum brakes, it looks good though.
    Actually, even with rear wheel drive cars, the majority of braking happens in front. It's only sports cars, bigger limos and BMWs, where weight is closer to 50:50 (or, in the case of Ferraris and Porsches, closer to 45:55) that rear brakes become a big deal. Many consumer-level RWD vehicles still have a 60:40 weight bias.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Are rear drums inferior to rear discs?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In terms of braking power, drum brakes are an inferior design compared to discs whichever axle you place them in. But it doesn't mean they are that bad or unsafe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Are rear drums inferior to rear discs?
    er no. rear drums have more stopping power when compared to rear discs..

HOWEVER, if you use them more than often (downhill run, etc...) they tend to lose their stopping power because they don't cool down as fast like those disc brakes.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    er no. rear drums have more stopping power when compared to rear discs..

HOWEVER, if you use them more than often (downhill run, etc...) they tend to lose their stopping power because they don't cool down as fast like those disc brakes.
    unless your drum has cooling fins or ventilated- like the one in Ssangyong Istana. the drum has holes.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon View Post
    hmmm maybe the USDM accord gets drums. but the local accord here has discs on all fours
    sosyal naman kse ang Honda jan, halos lahat top of the line model (EX in USDM). Unlike sa US, LX is the highest selling trim.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    I saw it myself, it was I think a 2004 Accord (maybe base model kaya drum rears). I did a search too on the online store I frequent, the base model of the Accord shows no rear discs/pads:

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...ke%20Pad%20Set

I was looking some more and here's the official Honda site with specs of their base model Accord - rear drums!!

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...e=Accord+Sedan

LX and below, drums
    SE and above, disc

for 2006, Civic is finally utilizing four discs (EX and Si trim)

FYI: USDM honda trims (base model to highest model)
    DX, LX, SE, EX

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    base or lower models tend to be equipped with drum brakes
    what he said.

I noticed that drum brakes on 06 civic is now larger than previous years. Could be an advantage.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Drum = cheaper

Heck my base model Camry has rear drum brakes.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    the altis from 1.6j-1.6e na unang models has drums sa rear same as the previous gen civics es body

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
a 1.6L sedan with drum brakes?