New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I was asked why all the cars I drive in the past decade have been Subarus and here are my reasons.

1) Turbo

2) Power

3) Boxer engine's low centre of gravity (most prominent in the BRZ)

4) All Wheel Drive (excluding BRZ)

5) Rear Wheel Drive (BRZ being first)

6) Safety (Acing Insurance Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)

7) A winning Rally Heritage (like WRC)

8) Niche brand

9) Lowest volume Japanese brand in the Philippines for 2012. No data on years prior to this but I assume they did not sell more than in 2012.

Prior to this we were a Honda family with one odd Ford Escape.

Note: This topic was created not to malign anyone. This was started as to start a conversation why owners are happy with their car and why prospective buyers may be interested in pursing it.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I'll play the devil's advocate here to juice things up a bit. If we look at it on a pure brand heritage:

1. Turbocharging is actually Mitsubishi's Lancer Evo's legacy.

2. Power is disputable. In terms of rawness, muscle cars Camaro and Mustangs are probably on the top of the list. For smaller-displacement engines that doesn't use a rotary engine or a turbocharger, Honda probably takes the crown thanks to their VTEC days.

3. Can't dispute that. The only "other" company who religiously uses the Boxster engine configuration starts at 7-million pesos and hails from Germany.

4-5. Err... nah. Lots of companies uses different engine layouts.. it's not like X is better than Y. It's the overall balance that counts. Forester's a FWD or a 4WD. The standard Impreza is also FWD while the STi's a 4WD. In terms of chassis balance, BMW takes the crown.

6. No comment. I'd rather NOT get into a traffic alteration instead of worrying of my safety. Volvo takes this one though.

7. Winning rally heritage, that is arguably disputable. It is the longest participating manufacturer, yes.. but in terms of championships, I believe Citroen has a better rallying record.

8. Because of the small sales volume? It targets the same people as the other manufacturers does. The Forester competes with the CRV, the Fortuner, etc. That's like saying people who drive Mazdas are niche markets. Now if you're specializing in something like McLaren, now that's niche.

9. In 2012, possibly. Although my answer would be: technically no.

- This is because Nissan's passenger car division has underperformed even Subaru. But because it's "brand", Nissan generally outsold Subaru.
    - However, this is questionable too because there's no official sales volume for Mazda. But if included, my chip is that Mazda has a lower sales volume compared to Subaru.

In 2013 however, it's the second (if you don't consider Nissan's NMPI) or third (if you do), just above Mazda..... and Lexus which is STILL a Japanese brand mind you. (Philippine car sales figures for July 2013 - Industry News)

If I were to sum it up, Subby's legacy would be their all-wheel drivetrain (they joined the WRC just to showcase it) and their engine boxster configuration. Its collaboration with Toyota (who is pretty much like their 'boss' company) made the BRZ a sweet ride in promoting Subaru's brand image in the country and as a sports car, it's very sweet at its 2M price tag.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Yeah great question. I don't get it why people who own subarus have a feeling of being more special. Our family own a couple of subarus, one was imported by my father from the states way back late 80s (forgot the what model it is, basta masyadong square ang itsura), the latest was previous generation forester xt. The first sub was used by our family till mid 90s when it started to breakdown. Sold that car bec. it sat in the garage for quite some time due to parts unavailability. It was bought by someone who have the same model (he told my dad that theres only 2 in the country that time). The xt was my college cuv, but I can't stand the rattling sound that came from plastic interior. Some say it maybe cause by the stiff ride bec. of tein c.o. Pero yun camry ko nakalowered din, wala nman ingay. The only person who is happy is our driver kasi the xt is being used part time as our company car, matulin daw.
    Last edited by Sweetlucious; August 27th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's that "rally car" image the brand gives to Subaru owners.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Sakin subaru means handling, turbo, and great sound of the boxer engine... Parang palyado na maangas

6. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    BOXER RUMBLE!

Plus, there's something special going on when 4-cylinder soccer mom vehicles could outpace sports cars.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Buhayin ko lang ang thread. I also really like the way it handles sa turns. Very stable even when roads are wet, and for its size (XV) tight turns are a breeze. So kahit masikip ang daan or sa mga parking basement na magulo ang layout, madaling mag bwelta.

Also, I like how the doors are secured by two strong bolts (top and bottom) while most cars only have one. In the unlikely event of an accident less likely for the doors to fly off. But hopefully no one ever has to go through a severe accident like that.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Type ko rin ang subaru especially STI, problema lang madalang ang Casa expecially sa gawing north.

Engine & handling are nice!

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    For me, cars like the FXT, BRZ, WRX and STI are the special Subarus.

The 2.0 Impreza, XV, and Forester (all sharing the base FJ20 engine) don't have the same exciting boxer rumble or performance of the higher end Subarus.

Kung handling naman, the XV, Forester, and Impreza aren't all that special. Cars like the Mazda 3, CX5, and Focus have equally great handling.

It's more of the halo effect of their top tier cars creeping down. Though I don't see Nissan owners feeling that their humdrum econoboxes are as special as the halo GT-R.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Since I don't need a turbo I'm good with an NA forester. Its the cheapest 4x4 amongst CRV, CX5 and Rav4.

Tapos lo and behold the most capable pa pala just in case you'll need 4x4 capability, and most equipped, priced at only 1.55M. Yeah my primary reason, its the cheapest
    Last edited by oliver1013; June 23rd, 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Why Subaru?