New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I am pretty much sold in getting a 2011 WRX. What's stopping me is it is only available in Manual. I am still debating if I can go back to one. If they offer this with paddle shifters, then it becomes a no brainer for me! But this seems like a long shot. According from what have been written online, its the WRX STI that is available in automatic! Darn! I know I know; Automatic is boring! But I just want to have a good mix of hassle free driving and power! And an Automatic WRX would perfectly fit the bill!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    i think the a/t STi has been available since 06 but only in some countries.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    I talked to Jake of MotorImage Philippines. He told me launch is this October. 265 hp Impreza WRX Manual ONLY and 302 HP Subaru Impreza WRX STi Automatic 5 speed with Paddle shifters (but with less torque than the manual version to save the transmission). About P2.5M daw for the STi. Dont know the price of the Manual WRX.

Anyway..........at P2.5M damn too expensive for the STi. If I wanted 300 HP I could buy the Genesis Coupe for P2M and have change......

I agree with Boggy... an automatic WRX would be perfect and priced just about right. Same 265 hp and torque as the Legacy GT that I have but in a smaller and lighter package. Sayang........
    Looks like they're finally releasing the US-spec WRX with the useful 40HP power hike. That's good news. The US has had that version for a number of years already.

With the price and power hikes, the WRX strengthens its case vs. its burlier STI brother. The STI's extra power doesn't mean a lot in practice, as it's very hard to access due to the laggy turbo and top-end-biased tuning. Most enthusiast magazines would rather you save your cash and hoon away behind the wheel of a 265HP WRX as it's faster in the real world. You could use the money you saved on better front suspension (its only real dynamic flaw) and still have cash to spare.
    Last edited by Type 100; September 10th, 2010 at 07:16 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    It really baffles me why the STI was provided with the automatic option instead of the WRX. The former is the sportier Impreza hence, the Manual option should be more appropriate. On the other hand, the WRX is the less sportier therefore the automatic option seems to fit it better. I suppose they want to sell more of the STI given that it has a better profit margin. According to Subaru Australia, around 70% of their STI sale is expected to be the automatic variant.

In any case, congrats to the STI for setting a new record at Mt. Washington.
    http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...21242900646854

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    let me tell you guys the STi has a lot more to offer than the wrx, the STi isn't just about horse power. STi isn't just a one trick pony, the 800k you paid less for the wrx won't get you half of the cool stuff you get with the STi. while the wrx transmission is better for drag racing because of it's longer gear ratio it can only probably handle 300whp and 320 torque. any thing more than that, it might not be safe for the tranny. the sti tranny can handle up to 500whp if i'm not mistaken, that's why in the states they call the sti tranny a bullet proof transmission while the wrx is said to have a glass transmission. over all the sti has been proven in the states to take more of a beating than any modded/stock wrx.

here's the list of things the STi has that the wrx doen't
    -Wider body parts
    -Bigger turbo
    - Nicer wheels (Im refering to the BBS not the crappy chrome 5 spokes)
    -Nicer interior
    -Different exterior colors to choose from
    -Quad tip exhaust
    -Brembo
    -6speed/dccd or si drive for the newer models (dccd makes a huge difference)
    -Wider tires/rims
    -Better suspension components
    -Stronger internal engine components (that's why STi can handle more power than the wrx)
    -Better top mount intercooler
    -Better exhaust system

now you've seen the difference that your so called "enthusiast magazine" didn't show you, you still think the wrx is the better choice just because it's now just as fast as the STi on the straight line?

you can mod your wrx to be faster than an STi but it won't out handle the STi, you'll spend a lot more just to be equal with the STi. also i know a lot of subaru owners here in the states, and i've heard a lot of wrx owners say "i should've gotten the STi" but never heard an STi owner say "i should've gotten the wrx". i've also raced a lot of heavily modded wrx's in the track that says they'll smoke an STi, my STi was still stock then, and guess what they all ate my dust. yes on the straights i'll lose, but when it comes to the twisty part of the track where horse power doesn't matter and the 6speed tranny comes handy, good luck trying to keep up.

bottom line is, if you're going to race your car the STi really is the best choice but if you just want some thing fast and don't plan to race it, then the wrx would do alright. i just hope the wrx's power bump, would open the eye of subaru and add more hp for the STi since the subaru enthusiast has been asking for more power on the STi for quite some time now.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    i couldn't agree more good job explaining ForesterX

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I talked to Jake of MotorImage Philippines. He told me launch is this October. 265 hp Impreza WRX Manual ONLY and 302 HP Subaru Impreza WRX STi Automatic 5 speed with Paddle shifters (but with less torque than the manual version to save the transmission). About P2.5M daw for the STi. Dont know the price of the Manual WRX.

Anyway..........at P2.5M damn too expensive for the STi. If I wanted 300 HP I could buy the Genesis Coupe for P2M and have change......

I agree with Boggy... an automatic WRX would be perfect and priced just about right. Same 265 hp and torque as the Legacy GT that I have but in a smaller and lighter package. Sayang........
    Teka... 5-speed AT with Paddle Shifters...less torque... (you forgot to mention a 2.5L engine)

Could it be the WRX STi A-Line?

Wag naman yung WRX STi A-Line sedan (chassis code: GVF). That car has no spoiler on it.

Hope sana ito,

WRX STi 4-door (chassis code: GVB) in 6-speed manual and 2.0L turbo

8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Nice fingernail! Ha ha ha!

I like the A-line... disenteng medyo bastos

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I saw in autoblog that the new face lifted impreza wrx will have the same revised engine as the legacy gt turbo! 265 hp! Nice! If they put the same tranny and paddle shifters...... This would be awesome. Of course the sti would still be 300 hp. But for a the mid level wrx 265 hp would be more than enough and the 5at tranny would make it great as a daily driver!
    kung totoo ito, mababaliw na naman ako kakaisip kung hyundai GC or WRX if the new WRX still has the same 1.7M price tag.. 265hp vs 210hp of 2.0T premium of GC..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    imho, hyundai gc and wrx shouldn't be compared... wrx has symmetrical awd for one, which subaru has been developing since 1972, not to mention the impreza wrx heritage... which the gc has really none of yet... but that's just me. :D peace

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subaru Impreza wrx 5 Door/Hatchback No more Stock?