New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    quad-post... who'd a thunkit? Damn internet.
    Last edited by niky; June 21st, 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last edited by niky; June 21st, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last edited by niky; June 21st, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah... about American Subarus. They don't sell the current-gen 2.0RS there. The lowest trim level for Imprezas there is the 2.5RS. Yes, they know a lot, but come on... it's not like there are no local tuners who know Subarus. Orange has a few 400-hp plus builds, Speedlab has a 450 hp Forester that's on the stock block and transmission (automatic!) and has been going strong for several years already.

The difference between US tuners and local tuners is that there are more of them and less of us. They have a big knowledge base because they have a lot of people breaking stuff, but they don't know everything. I know a few guys locally who've done swaps that "experts" on US forums swear won't work. My cams and cam gears? I was the first one on my US Forum to actually buy those cams and write about them... and the first one to make the problematic cam gears work properly with an aftermarket ECU. They don't have a big knowledge base about the Unichip there, either. Only a few tuners use it... though they have some tricks in fooling the stock ECU that I don't see implemented here widely.

Yes, by all means, read NASIOC, because there's lots of good information there, but local guys can help you out just as well. Try logging on to Subaru Club Philippines to find out about trusted local suppliers and what guys with the same car as you (the 2.0 RS, which isn't available in the US) are getting with the mods you're looking at.

A word from our friendly neighborhood tuner: In his opinion, the current gen N/A is a dead-end in terms of modification due to the electronics, unless you spend for a standalone engine management unit. They've tuned one with full IHE and a chip to about 118 whp (probably at Autoplus)... that's about the same the Lynx makes with a chip and IHE (the Lynx is 140 bhp, but only FWD).

They've boosted one, and at around 7-8 psi on a custom kit, makes about the same to the wheels as a stock "235 hp" WRX, but again... longevity is a question, especially if you will take it to the track.
    Last edited by niky; June 21st, 2010 at 02:46 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    what am i gonna do now lol ? 1 suggestion from a tuner was jus make a swap from an older ej20 turbo to keep the cost lower. Main concern lang is it was never attempted yet. So few problems may occur. that is if i'm brave enough for it hehe...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zeepey View Post
    what am i gonna do now lol ? 1 suggestion from a tuner was jus make a swap from an older ej20 turbo to keep the cost lower. Main concern lang is it was never attempted yet. So few problems may occur. that is if i'm brave enough for it hehe...
    Do you really want to cut up a new car's wiring harness for that? It would be the simplest way... but sayang lang yung car. I don't know if Subaru maintained the same electronics between this generation and the last... at the very least, you'll need an OBDII engine. You'll also need to change some other stuff to make the turbo-engne fit.

Personally, I don't favor swapping out a perfectly healthy engine just for the sake of more power. (went down that road before, it's not pretty).

Kaya nga, if you want a toy with power, swap the car for an older Subie. ;)

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zeepey View Post
    i wish it's that easy but it was purchased that involved a lot of considerations. I have my reasons why i went for the n/a ONLY. I have two other cars that i use regularly so now i decided to upgrade the car bit-by-bit just for occassional funruns and trackdays until i can finally afford my target car in two years sana . I can't say if i made the wrong purchase but i'm still happy that my business grew since i purchased this car.
    Stock tune will definitely last longer than a tuned car. Be it N/A or Turbocharged. If you like attending trackdays, why not try to setup your suspension first? front strut bars, a good set of tires, Camber bolts , sway bars, coilovers will make a lot of difference in your lap time. especially in clark international speedway where there are few long stretches. You get to enjoy your car's AWD grip and have many years of reliable miles !
    Last edited by jdrex04; June 21st, 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: wrong grammar

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    honestly, all i want is to feel more torque like a 6-cylinder engine. I have an e36 325i with upgraded chip and remus exhaust sarap ng torque. Topspeed though is almost same lang when it was stock. sana linabas nalang yung 2.5 version ng n/a dito sa atin.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    honestly, all i want is to feel more torque like a 6-cylinder engine. I have an e36 325i with upgraded chip and remus exhaust sarap ng torque. Topspeed though is almost same lang when it was stock. sana linabas nalang yung 2.5 version ng n/a dito sa atin. The 2L engine is so slow. Mali ko i never had a test drive before purchasing it. Sabi ko pa sa agent gusto yan non turbo para matipid at mura hehe..
    Last edited by zeepey; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Edit

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *niky: although nasioc means north american subaru impreza owners club, since it is the biggest subaru forum in the world, the members there aren't just from america and there are also american owners who was a 1999 impreza which is a 2.0. and yes i agree that speedlab and orange are very great tuners, but just like i said it will be cheaper and safer in the long run if he does a swap.

*zeepey: if you want a swap go to fuzionR at e.rod. also i agree with jdrex better to do some suspension mods. i'd rather have a slow car but handles really well than have a fast car that can't turn at all. plus with a proper driver on a lightly modded impreza can outrun an STi on the track. going fast on turns is more fun than going fast on a straight line.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
EJ20 N/A to T?!