New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Should Michael Phelps compete again in 2012?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 80.00%
  • No

2 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I believe he should. And Matt Biondi, on our - wife and myself- personal conversation with him a few days ago in the Beijing Olympics, also thinks so.

By that time in 2012, Phelps would be 27 years old. Matt Biondi, a multi-medalled US Olympian swimmer himself, last participated in the 1992 Olympics when he was 27 years old. (OT- I am sure Matt is also happy today for M. Phelps as he was rooting for him to break Mark Spitz' record, which by the way was a burden to Matt during his Olympic swimming days....)

6610:secret:

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yes he should compete again.

bata pa sya.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, he had set the standards already, i think he should retire, enjoy his millions and have a life.

based on my readings on his bio, 14 years old pa lang sya, puro training na.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imho, he had set the standards already, i think he should retire, enjoy his millions and have a life.

based on my readings on his bio, 14 years old pa lang sya, puro training na.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    at the age of 27 in london? no but it really depends on the world championships' time prior to that. if he realizes and proved that he cannot match or duplicate the winning times i think he will so his feat will stay unscathed.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Do you think Michael Phelps should retire from the Olympics after Beijing 2008?
    You heard from the man himself, "Records were made to be broken". He's not done until he says he's done.

It's too premature to say he's the greatest athlete of our time. But, consider his accomplishments with this one Olympics:

- Gold in 8 out of 8 events. Sweep.

-7 of those 8 events resulted in new world records. Those who say he had it easy are on drugs. It's not like he waltzed into the 8 golds. Not with 7 new world records. He had stiff competition which included himself.

- He has 14 golds in two Olympiads. He's probably good for at least 2 more Olympics although I don't expect him to duplicate his feat in Beijing. I do expect him to have the most Olympic gold medals of any individual athlete when he retires. Only then will I decide if he's the greatest athlete of our time.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 18th, 2008 at 10:01 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    retire while on top, ang galing swimming lang ang naaabutan ko sakto puro ke phleps pa, ang ganda ng moments niya, with her mom and all.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    why not compete? he's still young

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    the BS that i hear too is that it's easier for Phelps because swimming takes less toll on one's body. track and field is supposedly much more difficult.

such garbage. well, what about the gymnastics all-around competition and the decathlon? multiple grueling events back-to-back-to-back. so forget Carl Lewis, the best Olympic athletes should be Bruce Jenner and Nadia Comaneci!

the point is - compare each athlete to the competition he has. is Tiger Woods less dominant than Michael Jordan because his sport is "less physically demanding"? is less great?
    Actually the measure of an athletes greatness is usually counted in the degree of his impact to the sport. In such a comparison the only big advantage Phleps have against Carl Lewis is his relative impact on the sport of swimming and how he electrified the US population to the sport. If you watched Fox news/ CNN everybody was glued to the TV because of him and everybody wanted to get into the water. Carl Lewis has none of that impact the way Phelps have. Tiger woods is another story but history will tell us his impact was not that all that big.

Only Michael Jordan in my book is the better athlete than Phelps. Because of his relative big impact on basketball to the US and the world. When he left the NBA there was a huge void that couldn't be filled for some years and even until now.

It's no use comparing apples with oranges but you can compare them by how far an apple exceeded the expectations vs other apples against how far an orange has exceeded expectations against other oranges. In that sense you get the impact of the athlete to the Sport, the Community, the Nation and the World.

Michael Phelps is great on several accounts. Swimming is an indirect competitive sport. You do not really compete against other swimmers you compete for lap TIME. 7 world records fell in his hands in one Olympic Games to say he hasn't so much competition is idiotic we all know when swimmers race they couldn't care less looking at their opponents -- simply a waste of time. What they do compete for is the fastest swim time and as much as possible break WR because thats the only way you can be sure of a win.

Second he can win individually and win and also win as a team. He is a team player and that is a hallmark of a great athlete. Being able to work in a team.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^wait, i don't get if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me...i think we are saying the same thing. or at least agreeing that he deserves consideration among the all-time greats

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Should Michael Phelps compete again in 2012?