New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Ano sa palagay nyo mga boxing aficionados?

Pacquiao is the WBC super featherweight champion who started his professional career at the 107 pound weight division.

If Pacquiao will come out victorious against Diaz, he will be the first Asian to ever achieve that difficult feat.

ito sabi ni Koizumi in a report posted at www.boxingconfidential.com.
    "the Filipino icon(Pacman) is the best in the Asian region and has surpassed all the other all-time greats of Asia."
    at dagdag nya pa,
    “He is better even than the great Flash Elorde. He is the greatest Asian boxer of all time."
    At mula naman sa kampo nina Pacman ang sabi nya ay, “After Diaz, I want to fight Ricky Hatton. That will be a good fight,"

Hhhhmmm... upward mobility ika nga... not bad at all syempre kasi katwiran nya eh, “I’m 150 lbs. right now. My sparring partners are always 140 to 150 lbs. It’s not a problem for me. And I’m not getting any younger. So why not?"

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    if he keeps on winning especially against good young fighters, he might become the best.

but there were some great fighters from thailand that some of us might not have heard of.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    http://www.doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Dogpound0619b08.htm

[SIZE="5"]Impressive Thoughts on Manny Pacquiao[/SIZE]
    By Mikaztro, views from the DogPound (June 19, 2008) DoghouseBoxing.com

Manny Pacquiao is entering in his 6th weight (Jr. Flyweight, Flyweight, Super Bantamweight, Featherweight, Super Featherweight, Lightweight) division where he skipped the Super Flyweight and Bantamweight divisions on purpose. He won the WBC Flyweight title, IBF Super Bantamweight title, Ring (linear)Featherweight Title, WBC Super Featherweight title. 8 weight divisions if you include the divisions he skipped.

If others will observe closely, Pacman has ruled every division he ventured in with the exception of the Jr. Flyweight class where he started his pro boxing career at 16 yrs old.

Pacman is the only Asian boxer to have ever won 3 weight division titles and will only be the 3nd non-american fighter behind Panama's Roberto Duran & Venezuela's Leo Gamez to win 4 titles in 4 weight divisions if ever he succeeds against David Diaz in June 08. Theoretically, Pacman has already won 4 titles in 4 different weight divisions, because he won the "linear" Ring Belt title from Marco Antonio Barrera by TKO in 2003.

The only Asian & non-American considered to be consensus no. 1 Pound for Pound fighter by the Ring Magazine.
    Last edited by mikaztro; June 20th, 2008 at 11:00 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Is he the best ever asian boxer? We'll find out after his career is over and the body of his work can be judged better. Is he one of the best ever asian boxer? He's in the top 3-5 for sure. I'm pretty sure there others that are better but never used their talent to the best of their ability and just wasted their God given ability. One boxer comes to mind is Rolando Navarette, all the what if's and could have been's were wasted on drugs and a criminal conviction. Some just died young and never got a chance to complete the promise they showed such as Francisco Guilledo, aka Pancho Villa. Pacman has a better head on his shoulder and has made the most of the opportunities that has come his way. To his advantage also is that he is fighting in an era when boxing is so watered down from all the sanctioning bodies(WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO, etc) that the good boxers are all split up between several organizations unlike the old days when there was only the WBA and WBC. Fighters also go for months without a fight unlike in the old days of boxing, by the age of 23 when he died Pancho Villa had fought as a pro 105 times, Flash had 117 pro fights by the time he retired at age 33 compare that to Manny who at age 29 has only fought 51 times as a pro. The advent of MMA has also taken some good fighters from a possible career in boxing. But those things are beyond his control and as long as he continues to focus on boxing and not being a politician or singer/actor then he has a good chance of being the best ever. For now he remains behind Pancho Villa and Flash Elorde as the best Filipino boxer at least in my book.
    Last edited by redorange; June 20th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sya na nga siguro, lalo na pagnatalo nya si Diaz sa susunod na linggo

6. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    By the way, if Pacquiao wins the Lightweight title this June and fights Ricky Hatton this year, he will be regarded as the only boxer in modern boxing history to have ever fought and won titles from different weight divisions in a single year.

WBC Super Featherweight title - march 2008
    WBC Lightweight title - June 2008
    IBF Jr. Welterweight titles - March 2009

and could be another fight at Welterweight/Jr. MIddleweight against Oscar Dela Hoya. I think only Henry Armstrong has done that feat, holding the Lighweight and Welterweight title at the same time.

For me, if Pacquiao wins the WBC lightweight title, he surpasses the great Flash Elorde in my book. Pancho Villa is as good as either fighter. It was unfortunate that his career ended so soon because of an impacted tooth.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaztro View Post
    By the way, if Pacquiao wins the Lightweight title this June and fights Ricky Hatton this year, he will be regarded as the only boxer in modern boxing history to have ever fought and won titles from different weight divisions in a single year.

WBC Super Featherweight title - march 2008
    WBC Lightweight title - June 2008
    IBF Jr. Welterweight titles - March 2009

and could be another fight at Welterweight/Jr. MIddleweight against Oscar Dela Hoya. I think only Henry Armstrong has done that feat, holding the Lighweight and Welterweight title at the same time.

For me, if Pacquiao wins the WBC lightweight title, he surpasses the great Flash Elorde in my book. Pancho Villa is as good as either fighter. It was unfortunate that his career ended so soon because of an impacted tooth.

The Hatton fight isn't happening this year as the Hatton people have said he will continue with his planned fight in November with Malignaggi making a March fight unlikely. But if he does win lightweight and goes on to win the welterweight he will definitely be hard to beat as the best asian boxer. IIRC no asian has won the welterweight division title for any sanctioning body but going any higher will be a disadvantage for Pacman as he starts having the big height difference in the higher weight class.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns
    Last edited by redorange; June 20th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Is he the best ever asian boxer? We'll find out after his career is over and the body of his work can be judged better. Is he one of the best ever asian boxer? He's in the top 3-5 for sure. I'm pretty sure there others that are better but never used their talent to the best of their ability and just wasted their God given ability. One boxer comes to mind is Rolando Navarette, all the what if's and could have been's were wasted on drugs and a criminal conviction. Some just died young and never got a chance to complete the promise they showed such as Francisco Guilledo, aka Pancho Villa. Pacman has a better head on his shoulder and has made the most of the opportunities that has come his way. To his advantage also is that he is fighting in an era when boxing is so watered down from all the sanctioning bodies(WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO, etc) that the good boxers are all split up between several organizations unlike the old days when there was only the WBA and WBC. Fighters also go for months without a fight unlike in the old days of boxing, by the age of 23 when he died Pancho Villa had fought as a pro 105 times, Flash had 117 pro fights by the time he retired at age 33 compare that to Manny who at age 29 has only fought 51 times as a pro. The advent of MMA has also taken some good fighters from a possible career in boxing. But those things are beyond his control and as long as he continues to focus on boxing and not being a politician or singer/actor then he has a good chance of being the best ever. For now he remains behind Pancho Villa and Flash Elorde as the best Filipino boxer at least in my book.
    +1, and at least for me, Paquaio was only fighting boxers who are either nobody or somebody who are past their prime....career strategy perhaps...

if this fight with Hatton pushes though then I think this will be the real test if Pacquiao really has it to be the greatest ASEAN boxer....

Hatton is young (same age as Manny?) both are at the peak of their careers...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ayan na po nasa history na si pacman.. first asean na nagkaroon ng ganung title!!!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't agree that all of Pacquiao's opponents have been fall-men... he's fought some very good guys, and has sometimes lost.

Welterweight will be a real test. Pacquiao really outclassed Diaz in terms of boxing speed, per se, but bigger fighters need more power to knock-out. If Pacquiao were bulking up from a younger age, maybe he could put enough muscle on... but at his age, I don't know.

And it remains to be seen if Pac-Man can keep his speed as he sizes up. We'll see... we'll see.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is Pacquiao the greatest ASEAN boxer of all times na kaya?