New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    here's another tourney

uk vs. spain

this is one of the more entertaining matches from 2 battle of nations champions

Last edited by safeorigin; August 26th, 2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Obviously they are using unsharpened weapons. I've seen people in our neighborhood hacking each other with bolos and I am pretty sure its not going to be good for primetime TV nor for the participants themselves.
    Haha! I was referring to the blows they are giving. It looks like an arnis strike (rapid short bursts) rather than what you would see on a "bladed weapon" strike.

I've also seen bolo fights on my hometown. If your place is near a farming village, expect people to carry bolos on their waists. A few bottles of gin with a few "masamang tingin" easily escalates to a bolo fight.

If America has a gun culture, Philippines has a bolo culture. You'll be amazed on the variety of our bladed weapons. There's a kris, gulok, itak, barong, and kampilan (my favorite), just to name a few. We have blades for work, ceremony, war, etc..

During the PH-US war, bolo men are dreaded by the Americans. This the reason why were they armed with 45 calibers.

Kampilan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    plate armor and gambeson have historically been very effective against swords and arrows. So effective that the lords leading the army will pretty much survive the battle and be held hostage. If they weren't effective and can be cut through like wet paper towels as depicted in the movies, there's no point in sacrificing mobility and investing on such an expensive armor to begin with.

if they wanted to kill someone in plate armor, they'd use a Raven's beak or warhammer.
    Longbows are said to penetrate these armors. During the Crusades, there was a group of Knights massacred by "farmers" using longbows. Can't find any reference on the web though (read it from one of my books).

Also interesting to note is how Lapu-Lapu defeated the armored invaders. First, they just hide when they are being bombarded by cannons. Second, they are still hiding when these arrogant invaders started moving towards the shore. Third, when they could see the knees, they started the counter-attack, apparently, it's not a good idea if you're carrying a heavy object strapped on your body. You can drown even on a knee-deep water.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by i.am.aids View Post
    Longbows are said to penetrate these armors. During the Crusades, there was a group of Knights massacred by "farmers" using longbows. Can't find any reference on the web though (read it from one of my books).

Was it King Edward I, against the Welsh and Scots? It wasn't during the Crusades though.

He basically told his archers to get as many arrows in the air, bahala na si Batman where it lands(often on the enemy).
    Last edited by badkuk; September 2nd, 2016 at 09:00 PM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Was it King Edward I, against the Welsh and Scots? It wasn't during the Crusades though.

He basically told his archers to get as many arrows in the air, bahala na si Batman where it lands(often on the enemy).
    Bodkin heads for the English. It's their armor piercing arrowhead fired from a longbow. I can't find the Moslem equivalent. It's some type of a recurve bow.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by i.am.aids View Post
    Haha! I was referring to the blows they are giving. It looks like an arnis strike (rapid short bursts) rather than what you would see on a "bladed weapon" strike.

I've also seen bolo fights on my hometown. If your place is near a farming village, expect people to carry bolos on their waists. A few bottles of gin with a few "masamang tingin" easily escalates to a bolo fight.

If America has a gun culture, Philippines has a bolo culture. You'll be amazed on the variety of our bladed weapons. There's a kris, gulok, itak, barong, and kampilan (my favorite), just to name a few. We have blades for work, ceremony, war, etc..

During the PH-US war, bolo men are dreaded by the Americans. This the reason why were they armed with 45 calibers.

Kampilan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Going again with the real cold steel bolo fight I witnessed, in a life and death battle one really doean't give a damn about style, only about staying alive and killing your opponent. The flashy moves one sees mostly in movies.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I would defer to the knowledge of these people since they read and study a lot of historical manuals

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The Locked 'n Loaded Blades episode on History Channel did a short piece on the Longbow/Bodkin tip. They shot an arrow at plate armor -- the arrow did penetrate plate armor, but it didn't go through that deeply so as to cause an instant fatal wound. You'd eventually bleed to death from the square-shaped hole on your torso, though.

Oddly enough, ancient flak jackets made of unprocessed cotton, cloth turbans, and in the case of the Mongols, silk, were effective against arrows.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    continuation of the discussion

plate armor and gambeson were used together ^^

and you have to remember that arrows don't always fly straight ahead of the flat surface of an armor.

plate armors are curved and angled to deflect incoming attacks.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    The Locked 'n Loaded Blades episode on History Channel did a short piece on the Longbow/Bodkin tip. They shot an arrow at plate armor -- the arrow did penetrate plate armor, but it didn't go through that deeply so as to cause an instant fatal wound. You'd eventually bleed to death from the square-shaped hole on your torso, though.

Oddly enough, ancient flak jackets made of unprocessed cotton, cloth turbans, and in the case of the Mongols, silk, were effective against arrows.
    One theory was that while the arrow did not penetrate the armor, the shock of geting hit caused the heavily armored rider to fall off or the horses themselves were getting hit and killed. Since these knights usually required assistance in mounting their horses due to their weight ,(and the horses themselves being bred to be strong and heavy), most fo the knights died of getting either crushed in the falling mass or suffocated and drowned in the muddy quagmire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast