New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Xbox 360 Failure Rate tops 60% in UK survey (CNET UK)
    http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...ack-92/1376452

IGN report also shows almost similar numbers
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1014486p1.html

In fairness to XBox, there's no data available yet for Jasper... yet Microsoft will always be Microsoft.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    So magkaiba yung Arcade sa Jasper?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap
    So magkaiba yung Arcade sa Jasper?
    The newer ones are purported to be Jaspers (an upgrade of Arcade). See this:
    http://www.360maniac.com/2009/07/28/xbox-360-jasper/

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I still use my XBOX 360. Mga 2 months na ito.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    I 3RL'd my US and Asian versions. Had the US version 'repaired' but conked out at the end of the 6 month warranty. The Asian I took it apart and tried the X-clamp quick fix procedure found on youtube.

No luck.

I plan to get the Jasper version for Christmas which is looking good so far.

Chua - Jasper ba nabili mo?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    Xbox 360 Failure Rate tops 60% in UK survey (CNET UK)
    http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...ack-92/1376452

IGN report also shows almost similar numbers
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1014486p1.html

In fairness to XBox, there's no data available yet for Jasper... yet Microsoft will always be Microsoft.

My MSI motherboard which died recently due to bad capacitors was made in 2005 and became part of my last DIY in Jul 2005.

Add 2 other dead motherboards (both had KT-266a chipsets) in 2002, my previous HP laptop Pavilion ze5270 (2003) kaput, a friend's similar lappie (ze4600 from 2004) kaput.... All were manufactured within that critical period of 2000-2006 when the bad capacitors were in circulation.

Is the XBox 360 part of the same group? After all, it was released in 2005 and was made in Taiwan. Of course, the 360 Jasper may have improved components just like my new and current motherboard.

I don't think it's really the fault of MS. If it was MS, the software might be a little glitchy at worse. But, software doesn't usually destroy hardware.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; November 29th, 2009 at 01:50 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    I don't think it's really the fault of MS. If it was MS, the software might be a little glitchy at worse. But, software doesn't usually destroy hardware.
    From Wikipedia:
    Electronics industry newspaper EE Times reported that the problems may have started in the graphics chip. Microsoft designed the chip in-house to cut out the traditional ASIC vendor with the goal of saving money in ASIC design costs. After the multiple product failures, Microsoft went back to an ASIC vendor and had the chip redesigned so it would dissipate less heat.[24][25]
    One possible cause of the General Hardware Error may be cold solder joints. The added mass of the CSP chips (including the GPU and CPU) absorb the heat flow that allows proper soldering of the lead-free solders on the motherboard, therefore, the solder has not properly melted underneath these chips, which can lead to voids (air bubbles) and weak spots in the solder known as cold solder joints. Because of prolonged constant temperature changes inside the console, the voids cause cracking. Some people[who?] claim this issue does not exist, and claim it is caused by a confusion over this issue. They have suggested that the dull appearance only suggests that the joints are cold soldered, as lead-free solders, even when properly soldered, take on a dull appearance that non-professionals might mistake for a cold solder joint (as the older lead/tin solder solder-joints became dull when not heated sufficiently). This suggestion is, however, rejected by the majority of experts. Lead-free solder requires a greater amount of heat (213 degrees celsius) to solder properly when compared to older lead/tin solders (185 degrees celsius).[26] The Nyko Intercooler has also been reported to have led to a general hardware failure in a number of consoles, as well as scorching of the power AC input.[27] Microsoft stated that the peripheral drains too much power from the console (the Intercooler power cord is installed between the Xbox 360 power supply and the console itself) and can cause faults to occur, and stated that consoles fitted with the peripheral will have their warranties null and void. Nyko has recently released an updated Intercooler that uses its own power source. Nyko claims this problem no longer occurs with new versions of this cooler. However, Microsoft still considers it an unlicensed add-on and will void the warranty of machines showing signs of its use. There is no data available to indicate whether the Intercooler decreases the chance of hardware failure.[27] However, if the Intercooler fails, it can hinder rather than help the overheating problems.
    The game console heats up during use, and given enough time, the temperature inside can reach very high levels due to insufficient cooling. An overheated Xbox 360 is indicated by both left quadrants lighting up red. Because of the way the Xbox 360 is constructed, this may result in stresses building up between the delicate ball grid array solder joints of the CPU and GPU and the motherboard, causing them to break. The problem is exacerbated by the specific type of lead-free solder used, a type which is more brittle than the older tin/lead solder that was used in the past and the GPU's location directly underneath the DVD drive.[28] Microsoft needed to make room for the DVD Drive, so it shrank the heat sink.
    German computer magazine c't, in an article titled "Jede dritte stirbt den Hitzetod" (tr. "Every third One Dies of Heat"), published in July 2006, blames the problems primarily on the use of the wrong type of lead-free solder, a type that when exposed to elevated temperatures for extended periods of time becomes brittle and can develop hair-line cracks that are almost irreparable.[29][30] Also, according to the same article, Microsoft has created an internal account, funded with more than $1 billion, dedicated to addressing this problem. The fund would only be fully depleted by $100 in repairs to every existing Xbox 360, or complete replacement of every third Xbox 360 ever made.[31]
    The article also revealed that representatives of the three largest Xbox 360 resellers in the world (EB Games, Gamestop and Best Buy) claimed that the failure rate of the Xbox 360 was between 30% and 33%, and that Micromart, the largest repair shop in the United Kingdom, stopped repairing Xbox 360s because it was unable to fully repair the defective systems. Because of the nature of the problem, Micromart could only make temporary repairs, which led to many of the "repaired" systems failing again after a few weeks. At that time Micromart was receiving 2,500 defective consoles per day from the U.K. alone.[29]
    The console's design utilizes heatsinks, vented openings, and fans to aid in dissipation of heat, but the potential still exists for excessive heat buildup inside the console if these measures become insufficient. Users are advised not to obstruct air flow to the enclosure vents or power supply. Problems associated with overheating include reduced system performance and instability that may result in crashing or hardware failure. Xbox 360s with "Falcon" motherboards, which use the smaller device geometry 65 nm CPUs, are reportedly less susceptible to these failures.[citation needed]
    According to the October 2007 issue of The Official Xbox Magazine, there are reports that new Xbox 360 Elites and newer Premiums, as well as officially refurbished units, have larger heatsinks. It has yet to be determined how far this fix has gone in alleviating the issues.
    Some third-party manufacturers have also introduced external cooling devices that attach to the console, and claim to help prevent the console from overheating.[32] However, reports indicate that some such devices can do exactly the opposite, including the attachment melting on the console itself, possibly damaging the internal microprocessors, and voiding the product warranty. Also, when the attachment is powered by the Xbox 360's power brick, it might overheat the power brick, causing even more problems. Third-party cooling devices are available which use their own power sources.[33]

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Sorry for the long technical post

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    Ok. I guess MS did try to cut some corners. So yep. They are at fault. My bad.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    [quote=Memphis Raines;1372778]I 3RL'd my US and Asian versions. Had the US version 'repaired' but conked out at the end of the 6 month warranty. [SIZE=3]The Asian I took it apart and tried the X-clamp quick fix procedure found on youtube.[/SIZE]

No luck.

Sir ang ginawa ko sa akin ay higpit luwag sa mga bolt habang naka ON ang console para tumugma sa lapat sa GPU at CPU yung heatsink then nawala ang 3RR of death. So far until now okay parin.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
XBOX 360 Consoles - May gumagamit pa ba?