New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    will replacing the antenna with a higher dbi increase the coverage range of my router? im planing to replace mine(5dbi) with a higher one either a 7 or 9 since i want to increase its reach. gsto ko sana umabot hangan sa mga kwarto namin

thnx

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post
    will replacing the antenna with a higher dbi increase the coverage range of my router? im planing to replace mine(5dbi) with a higher one either a 7 or 9 since i want to increase its reach. gsto ko sana umabot hangan sa mga kwarto namin

thnx

Changing the antenna will only marginally increase the range.

If your current wifi router is only a "G", upgrading the entire router to a "N" wifi router will increase the range.

Alternative is to "bridge" using another wifi router or wifi extender. Or install another wifi router in your room and have it cabled and configured to your first router working as gateway for the 2nd router (in your room).

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by african888 View Post

thnx
    gaano ba kalayo? or rather, gaano kalaki house nyo? hehehehe

para dumoble ang range, dapat mas malakas by 6 db ang replacement antenna.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I used a 9dbi high gain antenna from cdrking. Useless. I changed to a N router and it did increase my range. Even if your house is not big, constrcution affects wireless signal. Cement, steel, microwave ovens, cordless phones and maybe even tv sets can affect your signal.

GH, how do you bridge wireless routers? does it have to be the same brand? I'm asking cause I have weak signal at some areas of the 2nd floor. I dont want to run cabling thru the windows.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa settings lang pag bridge

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I used a 9dbi high gain antenna from cdrking. Useless. I changed to a N router and it did increase my range. Even if your house is not big, constrcution affects wireless signal. Cement, steel, microwave ovens, cordless phones and maybe even tv sets can affect your signal.

GH, how do you bridge wireless routers? does it have to be the same brand? I'm asking cause I have weak signal at some areas of the 2nd floor. I dont want to run cabling thru the windows.

The newer routers have a bridge setting. No need to have the same brand.

Older routers without bridge setting, I think they can be used as a wifi bridge but you have to manually set the configurations. I haven't tried it though.

BTW, wireless bridging will cut down in half the max data speed in the bridged wifi area. It won't affect you if you are just surfing but if you are transferring files, you will definitely feel the speed difference.

Alternative, powerline networking then plug in a wifi router. A bit more expensive because of the cost of powerline network devices.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 20th, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    actually both are N routers . my old one is tplinkwr740n. nkakasagap sa kwarto and di naman na disconect. my new one a tenda3g611r+. kaya ako nag palit, kasi nasira na yong tplink. napansin ko lang di ako makasagap sa kwarto with tenda. e according to specs both use 5db antena. kaya i was thinking of replacing it with a 9db antenna from cdrking.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Changing the antenna will only marginally increase the range.

If your current wifi router is only a "G", upgrading the entire router to a "N" wifi router will increase the range.

Alternative is to "bridge" using another wifi router or wifi extender. Or install another wifi router in your room and have it cabled and configured to your first router working as gateway for the 2nd router (in your room).

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    gaano ba kalayo? or rather, gaano kalaki house nyo? hehehehe

para dumoble ang range, dapat mas malakas by 6 db ang replacement antenna.
    siguro mga 10meters po with wooden and concrete walls as partition. so para dumoble range e hanap ako ng 11db na antena?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You might want to try making a DIY parabolic dish to amplify the wifi signal in a particular direction.

GUIDES:

Parabolic Templat

DIY WIFI Antenna Reception Booster

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    hhmm interesting... something to do this long weekend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
wireless router antena