New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I already have a wifi setup at home, I want to extend the range to our office across the street so I bought another wifi router and used it as an access point. I configured both routers so I can have wifi roaming within the coverage area.

I encountered one problem, sometimes (or twice actually) I cannot access the main router, which means I don't have internet access. But the other times were ok.

Why did that happened?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    yung kapitbahay ko sa pinas bumili nung Wifi signal booster (repeater) para sa tindahan niya across the street from his home. Nilagyan pa niya ng home-made reflector like this one. pero yung kanya parabolic.

YouTube - Wifi Signal Booster for less than $1 New!

Yun nga lang laging bukas ang window na nakatapat sa bahay niya, may added effect daw yun
    napakaraming factors niyan, Sir. humidity, weather, etc hehe. may issue pati kapag naglalakad ka across the network, ang issue dyan kung seamless yung transition between the two access points. kung saan ireassociate ng client kung saan siya magkokonect.

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3600486

add: afaik, true "roaming" (single SSID) requires 1 main router hardwired to the n number of Wifi access points. di ako sure ha. from old info. There's the 802.11r nga pala which is true "roaming".
    Last edited by Negus; February 21st, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    add: afaik, true "roaming" (single SSID) requires 1 main router hardwired to the n number of Wifi access points. di ako sure ha. from old info. There's the 802.11r nga pala which is true "roaming".
    Sa company namin, nag-setup ako ng 2 Access Points (in separate buildings) with 2 Range Expanders - they have the same SSID, and they provide the same gateway to connecting PCs/gadgets.

I also connected to our network 4 Wireless Routers, each having its own DSL connection, but they all have the same SSID as the AP's and RE's. In short, we have full network roaming (but probably not internet roaming) in our compound with 5 DSL connections. Di ko pa nga lang na-try na lumipat ng lugar habang may dina-download... Malamang, putol iyung download.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    2 separate wireless routers will create two separate wireless networks.
    Also to use 2 routers you need two ADSL lines & to switch from 1 network to other you will need to disconnect from one network & join the other network.

In other words switching (moving from one floor to another) wont be smooth but involves a manual disconnect.

What you need is an actual compatible repeater or an access point.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    You can just change the ip address of the second, third, ... routers/ap's/extenders so they stay in the same subnet.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Forget first the new router. Find a location for the router at home where it is least encumbered for access from your office.

You may install it on the wall outside your house (with suitable protection from weather) if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    I already have a wifi setup at home, I want to extend the range to our office across the street so I bought another wifi router and used it as an access point. I configured both routers so I can have wifi roaming within the coverage area.

I encountered one problem, sometimes (or twice actually) I cannot access the main router, which means I don't have internet access. But the other times were ok.

Why did that happened?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Puede mo din i-reflash yung new router mo with 3rd party firmware and let it act as a repeater. sqyang naman kung bibili pa ng additional hardware.

here's a link (just a random hit from Google):
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16349
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...e.php/3655041#

Wifi roaming