New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Amiga OS Workbench 3.1

Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 31st, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Before Windows 3.1 ... there was DESQview. Anyone else experienced using this early multitasking and task-switching software? ... Back when DOS was king, it could already open multiple windows for different programs to be running at the same time on the same PC.

In my case, I would have it running a modem dialer, Bluewave OMR, a terminal software and a BBS based online game helper or a DOS screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DESQview

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Before Windows 3.1 ... there was DESQview. Anyone else experienced using this early multitasking and task-switching software? ... Back when DOS was king, it could already open multiple windows for different programs to be running at the same time on the same PC.

In my case, I would have it running a modem dialer, Bluewave OMR, a terminal software and a BBS based online game helper or a DOS screen.

We didn't have that. But, we did have Desqview/X running on a pc that managed (weather equipment) Wind Profilers.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    This was the version of Workbench I was most familiar with for a long time. Version 1.x

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

Desqview was fine, but OS/2 was the best! :sigh:

Miss Bluewave...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Desqview was fine, but OS/2 was the best! :sigh:

Miss Bluewave...
    OS/2 Warp trashed the boot sector of my hard drive back in 1994 when I tried to uninstall it and revert back to MS-DOS 6.22/Win 3.11. I was able to rescue the drive with Norton though. OS/2 Warp had a problem with a number of MS-DOS games. It didn't help when M$ yanked Windows/OS2 compatibility.

It was ok though when I was using it. It and Win 95 felt very similar.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 31st, 2009 at 06:53 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Anyone here had an Atari ST computer? It was overshadowed by both the Amiga and Mac which was a shame because it was quite a capable machine back then. It was the one platform I didn't get acquainted with very well because it was so rare wherever I went.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    OS/2 Warp trashed the boot sector of my hard drive back in 1994 when I tried to uninstall it and revert back to MS-DOS 6.22/Win 3.11. I was able to rescue the drive with Norton though. OS/2 Warp had a problem with a number of MS-DOS games. It didn't help when M$ yanked Windows/OS2 compatibility.

It was ok though when I was using it. It and Win 95 felt very similar.
    Minor glitch... Perhaps it didn't want you to uninstall it.

It wasn't just ok, for me. Win95 couldn't quite catch up to its performance. That's why it was my OS of choice, especially when I still had my BBS running... Everything ran smoothly, and some of the apps were DOS-based, even (well, I used all DOS-based BBS software at the start and I had nothing to complain about, but I wanted to try out the OS/2 native versions, and I did, eventually).

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Minor glitch... Perhaps it didn't want you to uninstall it.

It wasn't just ok, for me. Win95 couldn't quite catch up to its performance. That's why it was my OS of choice, especially when I still had my BBS running... Everything ran smoothly, and some of the apps were DOS-based, even (well, I used all DOS-based BBS software at the start and I had nothing to complain about, but I wanted to try out the OS/2 native versions, and I did, eventually).
    Actually, there was a complicated uninstall which I didn't follow because of my impatience. But, Warp was pretty good, much better than the preceding versions of OS/2.

The OS/2 Warp cd wasn't mine to begin with. So, I was back to MS-DOS/Win3.11 for about a year until I upgraded to Win 95 ( in 1995).

That was about the same time frame I got my feet wet with Slackware 3.4. I managed to get X-windows going (after numerous hardware swaps). But, that's about it. I was at South Korea at the time and many students were psyched up about Linux. Me? I was scratching my head and wondered what was the big deal. . I couldn't run anything with the darn thing. Well, Linux finally got much better 3-4 years later.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    We used to have an Apple ][ similar to GH's. It had an Epson LX-800 printer. We used it for typing (i think wordstar was the software) and also games (could not remember the titles though)

Then we had an IBM compatible XT. The games i used to play on the PC was karateka and some flight simulator (F-117 na ata yun).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
What's your first computer and OS???