New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For those on the move or simply using a portable computer.

What is your current wireless connectivity solution outside of your home or office? Do you use coffee shop wifi or try connecting on unsecured wifi signals? You do use paid wifi providers like Airborne or do you use 3.5G broadband solution like those provided by SUN, Globe and Smart?

Aside from your current wireless solution, what is your preferred wireless connectivity to the internet?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For me, until recently as two days ago, I was using wifi at coffee shops, malls, some fastfood places (burger king) to connect to the web outside my home and office.

Right now I am testing 3.5G broadband solution from SUN. It's a prepaid kit consisting of a USB dongle that is a 3.5G modem. Just plug it into a USB port, install it's included software and click on CONNECT.

Surfing speeds is pretty quick but I have heard that speed is highly dependent on the location as certain areas have higher 3.5G traffic already. Right now I am using the SUN 3.5G connection to post this message.

Access isn't that expensive... P100 for 300mins.

There is also a postpaid solution which would cost you P799/month. That sounds pretty good but I have three PCs at home which require some degree of web access. Until I can find a 3.5G modem I can connect to my home wifi router, my 3.5G experience will be limited to this pre-paid version.

Last edited by ghosthunter; April 15th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On my laptop, I use Smart 3G or 3.5G through my cellphone.

On my PDA Phone, I use Globe 3G.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    On my laptop, I use Smart 3G or 3.5G through my cellphone.

On my PDA Phone, I use Globe 3G.
    Doesn't that get expensive if you use it extensively?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Smart costs only P10/30min. Just same as your Sun's P100/300min.

Globe's more expensive. P0.25/kb I think. But I only use Globe when I need to check on something immediately, while along the road, waliking in the mall, etc.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    i use smart bro prepaid and it is my only connection through the net pag nasa bahay ako. pag nasa office, syempre yung nasa office ang ginagamit ko.

yup sir gh, totoo na ang speed is dependent sa location. pag walang 3.5g signal, sorry ka nalang kasi hindi mo magamit ang full potential at hindi mo ma-eenjoy ang speed. and it's true, speeds are up to that, 1.72mbps. one time, i got 1.9mbps pero madaling araw yun.

as for the rate, para ka lang nagrent ng pc sa computer shop kasi same rate din ang bayaran, 20 petot for 1 hour. not bad pero pag malakas ka naman mag-internet o magdownload ng malalaking files, talo ka dito. last holy week, i spend 200 petot everyday para lang makapaginternet. yun lang ang downside for me. pero overall performance, pwede na talaga kesa may dsl line ka pero see-saw connection.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    i use smart bro prepaid and it is my only connection through the net pag nasa bahay ako. pag nasa office, syempre yung nasa office ang ginagamit ko.

yup sir gh, totoo na ang speed is dependent sa location. pag walang 3.5g signal, sorry ka nalang kasi hindi mo magamit ang full potential at hindi mo ma-eenjoy ang speed. and it's true, speeds are up to that, 1.72mbps. one time, i got 1.9mbps pero madaling araw yun.
    Do you experience disconnections while you are surfing the web via the 3.5G broadband? Last night, I was disconnecting quite a bit. To get around it, I set Windows to override SUN's software connection control and "redial" when disconnected. It might not solve the disconnect problem but at saved me the effort of clicking "connect" over and over.

as for the rate, para ka lang nagrent ng pc sa computer shop kasi same rate din ang bayaran, 20 petot for 1 hour. not bad pero pag malakas ka naman mag-internet o magdownload ng malalaking files, talo ka dito. last holy week, i spend 200 petot everyday para lang makapaginternet. yun lang ang downside for me. pero overall performance, pwede na talaga kesa may dsl line ka pero see-saw connection.
    Well, I don't plan to use SUN as my primary connection to the web yet. At home and in the office, I have full access to the wifi. I only plan to use this for when I am away from the home and office and where there is no free wifi access. It's more convenient than having to get wifi access via Airborne.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I have a lot of access options when I need to surf the Net outside my home:

1. Airborne Access - As a longtime PLDT myDSL user at home, I have free unlimited access to Airborne Access.
    2. Wardriving - When option 1 is unavailable, I look for free-access APs.
    3. Smart 3G - My last resort is to use Internet connection sharing on my WM phone at P10/30mins.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

When traveling locally with my Laptop... Smart3G

Globe on my BlackBerry.....

7808:spam:

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    my iphone AT&T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What is your wireless connectivity to the internet?