New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Link:
    http://www.infoworld.com/archives/em...e-stuff_1.html

I've only recently discovered Staroffice from google packs. IMO, it's a good FREE alternative to Microsoft Office which is way out of my budget right now. It's good enough for writing basic letters,spreadsheets, etc. Compatible din sa MS Word and MS Excel formats.
    Last edited by Negus; March 26th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Staroffice has been around for quite a long time already... Yes, it's a very good alternative for those who wants to stay legal but can't afford MS' pricing.

As for "freebies" stuff... I've been a member of mypoints.com (formerly bonusmail) since 1994, they're a click-for-points site that I've accumulated over 7k points without realizing... That amounts to over $80 in voucher/gift certificates over the years without doing much...

Search for "open source applications" and you'll get a lot of free alternatives for software such as Gimp, for example.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've used StarOffice before,,, lots of features, but the interface is slightly different, so it requires a little familiarization.

I'm currently using OpenOffice on the Eee... much more familiar than Star, but it's not as full featured as either Star or MS Office.

Running GIMP, too. Not as good as PhotoChop... errh... Shop, but okay for mild touch-ups.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I won't bother to link because they're all a short Yahoo/Google search away:

There's a lot of nice freebies out there. Those I have .....
    Google Earth - nuff said
    NASA World Wind - like Google Earth except it's either the Moon or Mars.
    Celestia - 3d planetarium program
    MS Virtual PC 2007
    ImgBurn - cd/dvd app
    MS Photo Gallery - for those who don't have Vista
    Converber - my favorite unit conversion app
    ScummVM - plays older LucasArts classic games
    DOSBox - play older DOS games
    POVRAY - 3d raytracing app
    DScaler - the best tv tuner app ever
    Open Office - the free Star Office (Neo Office in OSX)

Plus a whole host of web browsers, graphics viewers, converters, codecs, internet security, etc.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Nagsawa na ko sa MS na tuwing new release ay ang laki ng tinataas ng requirement kahit puro bloatware. Nainis na ako sa new releases nila na puro bugs hanggang walang patch. I've gone haywire over the number of times I've needed to re-install for one reason or another.

Gusto ko din matuto ng bagong bagay despite my age. Kaya imbes na mag re-install ako ng XP recently after yet another crash, Ubuntu na ang ginagamit ko even as we speak. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and so far, I don't miss MS AT ALL!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I've used StarOffice before,,, lots of features, but the interface is slightly different, so it requires a little familiarization.

I'm currently using OpenOffice on the Eee... much more familiar than Star, but it's not as full featured as either Star or MS Office.

Running GIMP, too. Not as good as PhotoChop... errh... Shop, but okay for mild touch-ups.
    They're the same app (both are made by Sun Micro Systems) except now, Star Office has more features but is for purchase only. Open Office is the free, less featured version. Years ago, Star Office used to be free. There was no Open Office.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    A couple of years ago during the hype of Microsoft raids on internet cafes, I tried out nearly all these free ware which also drove me to learn Linux Ubuntu, Xandros, StarOffice, etc.

They ran fine when surfing but then had so much connectivity issues like StarOffice most of the time conks out since Linux printer driver even for a simple LX-300 printer is so unstable .

I ended up getting original Microsoft products in the end for the sake of my cyber cafe since it offered so much convenience.

Oh well
    Last edited by Memphis Raines; March 27th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Ubuntu na ang ginagamit ko even as we speak. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and so far, I don't miss MS AT ALL!
    I use several distros of Linux such as Mandriva (formerly Mandrake), Ubuntu, SuSE, and that Enlightment live cd.

They're all fine for light work such as office work and internet-related apps. But when it comes to something heavier like video-editing, Linux is pretty lacking. I've tried Cinerella, Kdenlive, and one other app. None of them come close to the versatility and ease of use found on even the most basic video editors in OSX or WIndows.

Linux is free. So, I can't really complain. But, when I'm pressed to get work done, even free can't cut it. Linux progressed a lot since the mid-90's when I was trying to get Slackware 3.4 to work (took a lot of work just to get X-windows running). The only thing holding me back is the lack of really good 3rd-party commercial software.

I used to lean heavily on Windows and Linux. Now, it's more and more Windows and OSX since both have the software I need..

Add: That doesn't mean I've given up on Linux. I still use it. But, it's more gee whiz stuff and internet use, rather than real work. Right now...... I just got done d/l Ubuntu 7.10.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 27th, 2008 at 10:55 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Another freebie and one of my personal favorites....
    Weather Pulse

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Another freebie and one of my personal favorites....
    Weather Pulse
    hey I like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The Web's best free stuff