New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I don't need to do video editing since ibang tao gumagawa nun for me. I just need the vids to play and so far, so good.

Sabi nga nung iba, dati madaming driver problems ang linux. Masasabi ko din na totoo dahil inexperiment ko siya several years back. And it WAS hell trying to get the X thing to even work.

The good news is that Ubuntu updates are quite frequent and very regular so I don't think we should give up on it. Rather, perhaps it can be tried out on SOHO/Personal machines or maybe 1 unit sa network.

Its partitioning and formatting features alone are sooo worth it (I have two 320 GB drives -- pag format lang maghapon magdamag na yata). And where windows conks out with a black or blue screen of death, one can always boot Ubuntu off a CD!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    They're the same app (both are made by Sun Micro Systems) except now, Star Office has more features but is for purchase only. Open Office is the free, less featured version. Years ago, Star Office used to be free. There was no Open Office.
    Oh. I had the old free Star Office. We got a whole bunch of StarOffice CDs as giveaways from Cynthia Mamon at Sun MicroSystems when we did a project with them before. Used them for a while, but when Windows updated, we didn't renew... they were good, mind you, but since we needed licensed Windows copies for our systems, MSOffice came for free with the bundle.
    Last edited by niky; March 28th, 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: It's Mamon, not Mendoza... eep!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Another freebie and one of my personal favorites....
    Weather Pulse
    realt time ba to? it would be very useful kung realtime

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I dunno but freeware = limitations. Since most developers don't get anything but fame when producing one program or application. Some say they do it for the love of the industry as well as for the "poor". I really don't believe that because I believe that they do it so that they could get publicity and get hired by big Bill or some other big software manufacturer. Don't get me wrong, I've used them all, Ubuntu, Redhat etc. but since gaming is my thing, neither one of them made me happy. I guess the saying "You get what you pay for" really does apply. Same with cars .02.

OT: Can anybody give me a forum post counter? TIA

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    realt time ba to? it would be very useful kung realtime
    If you mean realtime like a webcam, no. I don't think there's a weather satellite imagery system yet that's realtime. Normally, most satellite loops get a new frame every hour while others update every 30 minutes. If there's enough frames, then they can be played in a loop.

Even radar takes around 5 minutes to get a new frame. One time we had a thunderstorm pass overhead. The last radar frame we had was when the storm was still to the west. By the time we got the next frame, the storm was already past us to the east. I think the Doppler radars update every 2 minutes.

Unfortunately, Weather Pulse only does still images for Asia. But, the US side has animated satellite loops with Doppler radar overlays. Still, there's only so much free can get. It costs a lot of money to get more closeup and detailed loops like the ones at work.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 28th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    I don't need to do video editing since ibang tao gumagawa nun for me. I just need the vids to play and so far, so good.
    That's as good reason as any to use Linux. I mean I use it too so long as it does what I ask of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
The Web's best free stuff