New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    hey nice findings. I'd like to compare them myself once I get my 4850. I sold my xfx 9600gt, so I'm using onboard video on my main rig. hehe...

I see opengl on Adobe After effects and particle illussion.

for certain, disabling opengl will slow my encodes on particle illusion. I mean really slow. a minute will take like an hour without opengl. my agp and pcie x1650 pro cannot be used on partile illussion. therefore particle illusion is dependent on gpu. After effects can be used with or without 3d and particle effects, so I'm speculating it uses both cpu and gpu.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    hey nice findings. I'd like to compare them myself once I get my 4850. I sold my xfx 9600gt, so I'm using onboard video on my main rig. hehe...

I see opengl on Adobe After effects and particle illussion.

for certain, disabling opengl will slow my encodes on particle illusion. I mean really slow. a minute will take like an hour without opengl. my agp and pcie x1650 pro cannot be used on partile illussion. therefore particle illusion is dependent on gpu. After effects can be used with or without 3d and particle effects, so I'm speculating it uses both cpu and gpu.
    I though ATI has its own implementation of industrial-level OpenGL that works with After Effects although it isn't as strong as nVidia's.

Seeing as you use it a lot, I'm surprised you didn't go with a better nVidia card rather than ATI.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    though I'm a nvidia fanboi, it would be a smart choice for a 5.5k budget to choose 4850 over gts 250 Green edition until gtx 300 series comes out in a steady price. they say the gt300 supposed to be more on gpu particle effects encoding and better power consumption than the gt2xxx.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    though I'm a nvidia fanboi, it would be a smart choice for a 5.5k budget to choose 4850 over gts 250 Green edition until gtx 300 series comes out in a steady price. they say the gt300 supposed to be more on gpu particle effects encoding and better power consumption than the gt2xxx.
    Hmmm. I don't know if you can wait that long. I probably would've kept the 9600GT and waited. You could've made good use of CUDA in the meantime which is superior to ATI Stream.

The reason I stuck with an ATI card (besides following my buying pattern of alternating between nVidia and ATI) is because I have an AMD cpu. Sticking with all AMD/ATI seemed to make the most sense for system stability.

I was going to buy either the 4870 or even the 4890 (I couldn't find any 5850's anywhere). But, those cards eat up a lot of power and put out a lot of heat which can sometimes affect stability. The 5770 seems a lot more stingy and runs cooler. So I bought it despite being slower than the two cards I mentioned.

The 5770 is close enough to the 4870 performance-wise, but runs much cooler. I'm happy with it for now. But if I move up to multi-display gaming, I'm definitely going with nVidia.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    the itch was so intense, hehe... got an iceq blue pcb to match my giga mobo.

yeah, the 4870 sucks a lot of power even on idle. even 4850 and gts250 does sucks a lot. the 4850 iceq is suppose to eat less than most 4850 despite factory oc. I just hope for my sake.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/H..._IceQ4/24.html
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...urbox-512mb/10

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm officialy screwed by Ati.

got my 4850, can't render my effects software. opengl issues. already updated the software and drivers. tried different settings. it was the old same problem like my other two rigs. the AGP x1650 with Pentium 4 and PCIE X1650 on a dual core.

My Resident Evil 5 benchmark is laggy on area 3

I got a random BSOD for the first time on my rig. =(

I don't think I will be going back to ati anymore. too much blows already from my old expriences. Weirdness is just too much...

hoping I still may able to fix my problem, even just for my effects software rendering.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Anything OpenGL, I'd go nVidia.

As for After Effects problems, have you tried this?

http://deecay.blogspot.com/2009/01/a...4-was-not.html

I was messing with the Cartoon plugin in Adobe After Effect CS4 which utility the GPU capability. It didn't work on my machine as the rendering was ultra slow. When I opened preference. it said that "OpenGL Not Found". But when I went to Adobe site, it stated clearly that my card (ATI HD4850) is one of the supported card.

So I updated my After Effect from 9.0 to 9.0.1. I also update the driver to ATI Catalyst version 8.12, which is far higher than the required 8.8 stated on the Adobe well page. Well, the After Effect perference still says OpenGL Not Found.

Being fustrated, I opened Photoshop CS4, as I remembered that Photoshop CS4 also support GPU. The perference in Photoshop CS4 found the GPU, stated the ATI 4850.

Here's the strange thing: I then opened Adobe After Effect CS4 again and BOOM! This time AFter Effect saw the GPU and allow me to check the OpenGL checkbox. Once checked, everything goes awesome. The render of Cartoon effect is now instantly. Pretty sweet.

Well ... at least it works now.

Weird.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, I tried it, Opengl is still uncheckable in AE... no openGl videocard found.

3d special effect will be slower...

my main problem is with particle illussion. though I can make it run if I disable opengl. it is slower and image is not so crisp.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Adobe apps tend to be some of the more sensitive apps around. I don't have much OpenGL stuff besides games and those run fine with the 5770.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    My Resident Evil 5 benchmark is laggy on area 3
    Just wondering what your settings are for that game.

I don't have the game. But, I do have the benchmarking tool based on the game.

The settings I have for the 19" monitor:
    1440x900
    2xAA
    Vsync off
    All other settings at highest DX10

My results:

46fps doesn't sound bad at all especially if the gap between minimum and maximum frame rates aren't big. ATI cards are known to have steadier frame rates.

I got to Level 9 (of 11 total) so far of Crysis at High-Very High(max) settings at maximum (Delta) difficulty with frame rates mostly in the 30's and even upper 20's. Game play was very smooth which I needed since I was sniping with just a reflex sight and making head shots.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 22nd, 2009 at 09:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Video Editor With Video Transcoding Via GPU