New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just wondering if any video pros here have experience with video-editing apps that support transcoding via GPU.

Or is it done via Windows API's and across the board for any video editor?

I was curious about it and checked out some articles. I didn't realize transcoding via gpu has come a long way:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...review-test/23
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 17th, 2009 at 03:31 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I heard about this but I had no idea. I even thought new softwares already utilizes gpu.

3d particle effects have been using the gpu for rendering the effects for awhile now. effects like those pixie dust, stars, comets that is on 3d rendering softwares or stand alone effect compositors. I guess it's same way how real time effects on games where created.

what I am aware of recently is the photoshop cs4 utilizes opengl and gpu's ram.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    I heard about this but I had no idea. I even thought new softwares already utilizes gpu.

3d particle effects have been using the gpu for rendering the effects for awhile now. effects like those pixie dust, stars, comets that is on 3d rendering softwares or stand alone effect compositors. I guess it's same way how real time effects on games where created.

what I am aware of recently is the photoshop cs4 utilizes opengl and gpu's ram.
    What surprised me was the GPU's superiority over quadcores, even the i7's. I wasn't expecting gpu transcoding to be that good.

If that's the case, then I won't miss having such a mighty quadcore since my main use for one would be in video editing. I guess I can sit pretty with my lowly triple core Phenom II and buy a video editing app that has gpu transcoding built-in.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm only speculating here, I think special effects and real 3d utilizes Gpu while the cpu still handle most of the encoding. but I read avivo video converter uses the gpu solely. perhaps it's really up to the software how to make use of the hardware indeed.

today, I just ordered HD 4850. hope it won't have encoding problems like my both AGP and PCI-E x1650 on effects software I use.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Wouldn't you know it......

As soon as I started inquiring/voicing concerns about gpu transcoding, ATI comes out with new (9.12) Catalyst drivers and Avivo Video Converter.

Installing now.....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    I'm only speculating here, I think special effects and real 3d utilizes Gpu while the cpu still handle most of the encoding. but I read avivo video converter uses the gpu solely. perhaps it's really up to the software how to make use of the hardware indeed.

today, I just ordered HD 4850. hope it won't have encoding problems like my both AGP and PCI-E x1650 on effects software I use.
    What kind of effects software do you use? Me. I'm mainly home user level. Whatever came with Video Studio 11 or Sony Vegas is fine. Nothing cutting edge like Final Cut Pro or anything.....

I might buy Pinnacle's Studio HD. It's on sale right now.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Anyway, I've installed the latest Catalyst and Avivo Video Converter.

I'm converting a 2.5gb mpeg2 to a 285mb 720p H264 mp4. Transcode time is estimated at 34 minutes.

First, I'm not sure how the video would look since the stock footage resolution is 720x480. My guess is it'll look huge and squished. Second, I can't even remember if 34 minutes convert time is good or not. But, we'll see soon enough. This is just a test to see if it works on my rig.

CPU utilization is still in the 40% range. But, it's nothing like the 90-100% CPU usage with my other transcoder apps.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 18th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Bah. Screw that 2.6gb video. 34 minutes was still too long for me. I decided to test Avivo Video Converter on a 264mb mpeg2 I made and converted it to PSP Highest Quality.

Avivo Video Converter took 30 seconds while Pinnacle Mobile Media Converter still took way over 2 minutes and I considered PMMC fast.

I'm impressed with Avivo Stream gpu transcoding so far. Holy Sh*t!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just to see if it's a fluke or not, I tried another mpeg2 video (DV-AVI isn't supported by the Avivo app).

It's a 282mb video that's 8:02 minutes long. I converted it to the highest quality PSP mp4 format using first Pinnacle Mobile Media Converter (transcoding via cpu, triplecore Phenom II 2.8ghz) and ATI's Avivo Video Converter (transcoding via HD 5770 gpu).

Rendering times:

Pinnacle: 3 minutes, 27 seconds. File size: 47.8mb
    Avivo: 28 seconds. File size: 40.7mb

It's no fluke. Transcoding via gpu is awesome!

This is the video I used.....
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAi5k7D-RFQ"]YouTube- TestFileAvivo.mp4[/ame]
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 19th, 2009 at 03:49 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Converting 1080p wmv video down to 720p mp4

The original re-sized for comparison:

The ATI Stream version. It's still not as good as say, nVidia's CUDA. The blurriness is still apparent. But, at least this new version is not the pixelated mess it once was in some earlier reviews:

For my home use, it's good enough.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Video Editor With Video Transcoding Via GPU