New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Currently using a Toshiba and used to own a Compaq.

Toshiba, hands down!!!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    In terms of laptop survivability, Toshiba has a better record than HP. Had mine for 4 years going on 5. Sold it to my company as a service unit, and it still works like a dream. Ang nasira lang sa kanya once are the LCD light bulbs.

I have to warn you though, Toshiba's certified (official) service center here in the Philippines has much to be desired (experienced it first-hand).
    I have an older HP Pavilion ze5270 (which theToshiba A-215 replaced). It seemed to be an ok laptop except for the glacially slow 40gb 4200rpm IDE hard drive. It's now acting flaky ever since it fell off the roof of an SUV. Outwardly, the chassis seem fine. But I'll bet the motherboard has a hairline crack somewhere because it would stop working and the screen would go blank after a few minutes (as it warms up).

I'm not sure if the Toshiba is any more durable than the HP. Not many laptops can survive a fall from say..... 7-8 feet down on to asphalt and still work perfectly.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Good to hear that your HP is durable and able to partially withstand that kind of shock. That most definitely is a motherboard problem. A relative of mine encountered the same symptoms with his Sony VAIO T-series laptop. He had to ship it to the US to have them repair/replace the board under warranty. Total damage? Around Php 8,000.00.

Maybe I should've worded my statement differently. What I really meant by laptop survivability is the rate of which a laptop will 'mysteriously' develop some sort of hardware glitch or failure even without doing anything radical to it. Personally, that how I grade the durability of each laptop brand. Anyway, one should not drop a laptop under any normal circumstance. Mostly it's up to luck whether a laptop will be able to survive those kinds of falls (at least, this is applicable for the generic consumer models)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Good to hear that your HP is durable and able to partially withstand that kind of shock. That most definitely is a motherboard problem. A relative of mine encountered the same symptoms with his Sony VAIO T-series laptop. He had to ship it to the US to have them repair/replace the board under warranty. Total damage? Around Php 8,000.00.

Maybe I should've worded my statement differently. What I really meant by laptop survivability is the rate of which a laptop will 'mysteriously' develop some sort of hardware glitch or failure even without doing anything radical to it. Personally, that how I grade the durability of each laptop brand. Anyway, one should not drop a laptop under any normal circumstance. Mostly it's up to luck whether a laptop will be able to survive those kinds of falls (at least, this is applicable for the generic consumer models)
    It's kind of hard to judge the survivability of a laptop because we don't know the history of what a laptop went through getting from the manufacturer to the store to the owner.

The laptop may have had a rough trip or it may actually be a manufacturing defect, or even substandard components.

Let's see.... We have a Sager laptop (wife's), an iBook 800 (daughter's), the dying HP, and my new Toshiba.

The Sager has been problem-free and my wife loves it even though it weighs 10 lbs.

The iBook 800 went through 2 bad batteries before finally having a good 3rd battery (all free from Apple via Applecare).

The HP was fine until I dropped it. As far as I know, it's a goner. The screen goes blank a little sooner each time I turn it on.

The Toshiba so far has been a delight. Of course, it's less than 2 months old.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 12th, 2007 at 09:58 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I have a p3 toshiba i bought in 2001 and it is still working up to now. only the battery has problems but this is the original that came with it. it only holds charge for about 5 mins. my gf uses it at home for word and excel and it still has vibrant colors.

for work i have an hp pavilion. so far so good and i use it for autocad and internet like right now! i've been using it for a year now and no complains so far.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Of course, you cannot discount the fact that each of these two brands' products are still subject to delivery and handling woes, as well as manufacturing defects. But I think that's beside the point, as those aspects are all known factors on any sales company (hence, the need for warranty). However, historical product statistics indeed have indicated that there were lesser reports of hardware failures for Toshiba laptops than HP. That in itself, is saying something for me...

Putting it in that sense, I just answered the question of the thread starter of which brand is better to the best of my knowledge. Still, like anything posted in the Internet, everything should be taken with a grain of salt…

So zeyvier, don’t just take my word on the matter. Go and conduct more research for yourself.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Of course, you cannot discount the fact that each of these two brands' products are still subject to delivery and handling woes, as well as manufacturing defects. But I think that's beside the point, as those aspects are all known factors on any sales company (hence, the need for warranty). However, historical product statistics indeed have indicated that there were lesser reports of hardware failures for Toshiba laptops than HP. That in itself, is saying something for me...

Putting it in that sense, I just answered the question of the thread starter of which brand is better to the best of my knowledge. Still, like anything posted in the Internet, everything should be taken with a grain of salt…

So zeyvier, don’t just take my word on the matter. Go and conduct more research for yourself.

Thanks for your advise sir. Anyway so far wala pa naman akong nakikita or naririnig na negative comments sa toshiba kaya am planning to get one, but as youve mentioned, am still conducting researches.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm still using my compaq presario for over 4 years na. It was subjected to very harsh condition such as sandstorm. I brought it with me every day from camp to my site office when I was still working in the desert. Medyo nag-loose lang yung memory holder nya so I have it re-soldered. Gulat nga yung technician pagbukas nya at puro buhangin nasa loob . On it's 2nd year, nag fail na yung cd-writer so i have it upgraded to dvd-writer. Although ok pa naman sya, I decided to have an upgrade. I just placed an order online for an HP Pavillion dv2500t (customized). It will be delivered on the 30 october. Normally, base price for this model is only $800 but opted to upgrade the processor, memory, graphic card, HD and added fingerprint reader and bluetooth kaya umabot sya ng $1,350 inc. tax.

Ito na yung specs nya.

HP Pavilion dv2500t customizable Notebook PC
    GN169AV
    – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    – Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    – 14.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    – 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    – 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    – HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
    – Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
    – 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    – FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
    – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    – System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    – Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    – HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

TOSHIBA is a good brand but too pricey.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007

Thanks sa inputs mga bro. I already purchased a toshiba m200 e410 for 65k sa glorieta (a week before the explosion ) during bpi madness ba yun? upgraded na OS from vista basic to premium (kaya I have 2 licensed Vista OS), memory from 512mb to 1Gb, plus optical mouse with built in cam na sya.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    *Jun aka Pekto
    does your A215's screen black out? mine does... it seems that it's a common issue for A215 laptops. fortunately there's a work-around until toshiba releases a BIOS update.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Toshiba or Compaq