New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Good day mga bossing, ask ko lang po your opinion which is better of the two branded laptops? Toshiba or compaq, their good and bad sides. thanks po mga bossing.

I'll go for TOSHIBA. More expensive though.

Why not HP?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I'll go with Toshiba. Compaq was bought by HP long time ago. I think Compaq only sells lower end models. I'm surprised they still exist.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Tough call. I do have a new (budget line) Toshiba laptop I bought for $900 which I like a lot.

Supposedly, Toshiba has bad tech support if I was to believe some of the negative user opinions on the internet. How many of those are due to fanboish mudslinging, I don't know. I take online user reviews with grain of salt.

My wife's cousin has been a longtime Toshiba laptop owner (since 1996) and she's been happy with every one she's bought.

As for Compaq.... Those I've seen have been decent although I've never personally bought one for myself.

The specs on my ($900) Toshiba:
    Satellite A215-S4757
    AMD X2 Turion 1.8ghz dualcore
    2gb ram
    15.4" widescreen WXGA with Trubrite
    8x Pioneer DL DVD Burner with Labelflash
    Mobility Radeon X1200 (slightly better than GMA950)
    250gb Fujitsu 4200rpm SATA150 hard drive
    Atheros WiFi b/g wireless
    SD Card/6-in-1 reader
    4 USB2, 1 4-pin FW, S-Video Out, VGA Out, Expresscard slot
    Windows Vista Home Premium

The lcd screen is especially vibrant and the 250gb 4200rpm hard drive doesn't seem to lag that much. I feel the finish is too glossy. But it goes well with the PSP.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Tough call. I do have a new (budget line) Toshiba laptop I bought for $900 which I like a lot.

Supposedly, Toshiba has bad tech support if I was to believe some of the negative user opinions on the internet. How many of those are due to fanboish mudslinging, I don't know. I take online user reviews with grain of salt.

My wife's cousin has been a longtime Toshiba laptop owner (since 1996) and she's been happy with every one she's bought.

As for Compaq.... Those I've seen have been decent although I've never personally bought one for myself.

Satellite A215-S4757
    2gb ram
    SD Card/6-in-1 reader

The lcd screen is especially vibrant and the 250gb 4200rpm hard drive doesn't seem to lag that much. I feel the finish is too glossy. But it goes well with the PSP.
    hi... i'm also planning to buy a toshiba A215 laptop (almost the same features as yours but with built-in webcam). would you highly recommend it? how long is the battery life? how about gaming? i'm just a casual gamer, need for speed games at most. TIA

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post

Satellite A215-S4757
    2gb ram
    SD Card/6-in-1 reader

san mo sir nabili ang toshiba laptop mo? ok ang specs nya.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    In terms of laptop survivability, Toshiba has a better record than HP. Had mine for 4 years going on 5. Sold it to my company as a service unit, and it still works like a dream. Ang nasira lang sa kanya once are the LCD light bulbs.

I have to warn you though, Toshiba's certified (official) service center here in the Philippines has much to be desired (experienced it first-hand).

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_azz View Post
    hi... i'm also planning to buy a toshiba A215 laptop (almost the same features as yours but with built-in webcam). would you highly recommend it? how long is the battery life? how about gaming? i'm just a casual gamer, need for speed games at most. TIA
    Mine also has a 1.3mp webcam. I guess I forgot to mention it. Battery life with internet surfing is around 2.5 hours. The Mobility Radeon X1200 is ok for games like Warhammer Dawn Of War (rts). Forget about OpenGL based FPS games like Doom 3/Quake 4.

That's ok. I never intended to game much on mine. Plus, the resolution is fairly low (1280 x 800). Many games should run fine on it.

san mo sir nabili ang toshiba laptop mo? ok ang specs nya.
    I got it for $900 (regular $940) at the military base nearby. My wife got a discount of some sort.

But, Newegg and others sell it at similar price, I think. The only weak component is the 250gb 4200rpm SATA150 hard drive. But, even it isn't as slow as I expected. It's much quicker than the 40gb 4200rpm IDE hard drive in my HP Pavilion ze5270 lappie. I find its speed acceptable. In fact, I thought at first it's a 5400 rpm hard drive.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 6th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    i have an old 1999 toshiba P3 notebook and it s still working. no repair yet except for new battery pack.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    if you have to choose between the two options... i've prefer the Toshiba,,, than the HP-Compaq laptops...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Toshiba or Compaq