New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
    the problem with hdd cams naman is that you immediately dump it to your computer's hard drive. if your computer crashes you lose all your memories. kaya save it on tape. that's why until now most of the professional cameras still record on tape...or film--- whether 35mm, 16mm, HD or digital video. bihira talaga ang hdd kasi nga delikado.

kung archiving from HDD dapat burn mo into DVD...ofcourse hindi natin masabi na baka mag-crash yung 2nd Hard Drive (PC)mo..save it on DVD/CD

most proffesionals gamit talaga tape kasi yung process of recording e "RAW" not unlike DVD's and HDD..digital na yan..

i prefer HDD kasi ayaw ko bumili ng media.. ime eyeing the SR200 of Sony

pag D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    got this one from pinoydvd ....

Any of the 3 Sony variants you are considering would give you the same image quality because they have the same optics and sensors. However, you have to think and plan carefully on how you intend to archive you precious digital masters before you decide which particular recording media to choose. Note that this comparison is based on the assumption that you will record at the cam’s highest possible setting; why wouldn’t you to create a pristine master copy of your precious memories? There is no point in recording in hi-def if you are not going to optimize the settings of the cam. Downrezzing, if necessary, should be done during editing and not while shooting.

MiniDV: having owned a standard def videocam which I assume is a MiniDV type, you should be very familiar with the handling and care of this magnetic media (playing, forwarding/rewinding the tape at least once every 6 months, storing the tapes under proper temperature and humidity conditions). Recording time is the same as that of SD (which is actually surprising). Although there seems to be no major issues when using standard MiniDV tapes, please note that Sony markets a special type of MiniDV that is supposed to be optimized for hi-def recording, at a premium price of course. The Canon cam uses MiniDV as well but the cam body is box type (convenient to carry in the bag, but can be a pain during actual shooting).

Hard Disk Type: Capacity is 30GB. At the highest bitrate of 15Mbps, 30GB should allow you approximately 4 hours of recording; long enough for single event recording but most likely a tight squeeze if you are on a long vacation. So what happens after you use up 30GB? First, you have the option to dump the master files into a bigger hard disk (I would suggest at least 2 if you want to be more safe not to lose your entire home video collection), hence you would have to bring along your laptop with perhaps an external drive whenever you go on vacation. At home, you can make copies on recordable DVDs (dual layer recommended) or even BD. Just note that if you copy to a recordable DVD, your DVD player must be compliant with AVCHD standard in order to play your hi-def video. If you record to recordable BD, you obviously need a BD player. Both these options are good reasons for getting something like a PS3. You can also watch through your PC as long you install the software that comes with the cam, and your PC has enough muscle to handle hi-def video.

DVD Type: One 8cm DVD (1.4GB) allows you only about 15 minutes of recording at the highest bitrate so if you choose this type of videocam, be prepared to purchase and carry buckets of blank disks and, be ready to accept the inconvenience of having to replace the disk around 3 times in order to record a 1-hour event (and you’d better be fast when replacing disks as well). Unlike its standard definition counterpart, a DVD recorded with hi-def content can only be played through an AVCHD compliant player.

SD Type: Panasonic just released its first gen consumer HD videocam that records on SD (8cm DVD variant is also available). It uses 3-CCDs as opposed to Sony’s single CMOS sensor. At the moment, the SD maxes at 4GB; good for around 40 minutes of recording at the highest setting. Obviously, you need to carry at least 1 spare SD whenever you shoot, and similar to hard disk type, you need to have a bigger hard disk in order to store your video files. However, Panasonic recommends that hi-def home movies should be archived using BD recorders, which is a safe and reliable option but certainly very expensive one at the moment. Hi-def video recorded on SD can be played directly on an AVCHD compliant player with SD slot. As expected, Panasonic sells that type of equipment too. Similar to Sony, you can also watch through your PC as long you install the software that comes with the cam, and your PC has enough muscle to handle hi-def video.

If you don’t mind the inherent restrictions of each available media, let me inform you that based on side-by-side comparisons, it appears to me that the best hi-def image is produced by Panasonic’s SD HD cam. Color latitude is almost equally good for all available makes and could be rather subjective. However, it was quite apparent that Panasonic exhibited the least noise among all cams I’ve played with. It also happens to be the lightest because it doesn’t have any mechanism for tape/disk loading and no built-in 1.8” hard disk.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    P50 lang tdk mini dvd sa cdrking?! wow no contest kung ganun, mini dvd na!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    yup, tdk is really cheap but the problem is sometimes it has problems with certain devices. i use a sony minidvd handycan so i always buy sony dvd-rws. even if the dvd is cheap, it records only around 30 minutes. that to me is quite sad. i'm sure in the future they'll introduce discs with greater capacity to the public but for now i'm stuck with 30 minute discs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Tanong about video camera?