The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Also, a bigger screen will be better for her eyes
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Using a tablet promotes bad posture ... plus not so good for those with arthritis ... best to get a phablet or a very light laptop ...

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I always want a tablet for watching videos and reading documents.

I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (????) with stylus. 8 inch screen is perfect for me. But nasira din eventually.

That Note 8 costs 20K and I dont want to spend that much for tablet again (even for a phone). I am not rich.

Luckily, I found the Amazon Fire HD 8. I got it for Php3,000++ sa Lazada. Bang for the buck, IMO, although I admit the videos isnt as sharp even on HD 1080p. But serves the purpose well for its price.

One thing though is you have to install Google Play to be able to enjoy some apps from the app store.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My parents, who are well into their seniors, still use their iPads on a daily basis. They don't bring it along when they leave the house (pre-pandemic), but at home, my folks gets some decent use out of their iPads.

Their primary use case is media consumption, browsing the web, ordering stuff online, messaging, and occasionally, to play games. It's ideal for them because of the screen real estate. They do less pinching to zoom than on their phones, but still portable enough to be lug around anywhere they want to settle down around the house.

On the subject of choosing a tablet OS between Android and iOS, I'd choose iOS every time. Android for my phone, iPad as my tablet.

TL;DR: Yes, tablets are ideal mobile devices for most seniors. It beats squinting on phones or firing up the PC or laptop. iPads are also generally easier to use than an Android tablet.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    (IMO) for tablets, it's the iPad or nothing (although my last tablet at home is a month old Galaxy Tab)

MacRumors Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy iPhone, Mac, iPad

For me, it's basically to consume media content - Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube

Why I bought an Android Tablet - I was looking for something for Netflix, bought a new (2019) Galaxy Tab 10.1 for S$300 (8 inch version is S$100 cheaper) compared to the cheapest iPad at S$499

iPad has better app quality, longer lifespan (iPadOS will support the iPad Air 2 which was released in 2014!)
    iPad also has FaceTime

Biggest factor me is the answer to this question... How many times do you open your laptop to check on something... How many hours do you spend on your phone?

A tablet will reduce your phone screen time and (depending on your settings) will make your reading and watching more peaceful. (my tablet has no email and IMs). It also takes the hassle of waiting for your laptop to boot.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I spend a lot of time watching DirecTV on my iPad Mini either outside or in the garage.

Big enough yet still very portable.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Between my iPad & computer, I use the iPad more. I think it’s a handy do anything device. I’m not a fan of using my smartfone for watching movies, doing FB or Youtube. I think the screens too small for me. With my iPad, I read the news in different sites like Yahoo, Google, CNN, bing, Inq, rappler & Star; Netlix sometimes, read my mail, do messenger, tsikot, viber & would you believe I also do my power point presentations (specially useful. Since I can just drag & drop from photo lib), word docu, zoom meetings, screen capture & apps related to my profession. It’s on the whole day but it stays home since it’s wifi only. Only drawback was when it crashed & all my work vanished & I didn’t have the foresight to get a bigger memory. My son in Med School has all his books in his bigger iPad & used to bring it as sole gadget to school lectures since he can write notations on it by splitting screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    iPad is better for attending video calls, reading, etc - basically anything that doesn’t require creation. For days when I only have meetings as a contributor and not as presenter, I use my iPad.

But since a lot of my work involves making decks and running numbers through Excel, a laptop is infinitely more productive for me. So 80% of the time I’m still on my laptop vs iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12