New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 815 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hay naku OB, sabihan mo sa mga kano na huwag bumili ng trying hard copycat na Samsung Galaxy na iyan.

Meanwhile, Galaxy sales go supernova
    By GARRETT SLOANE

Last Updated: 2:02 AM, August 28, 2012

Posted: 11:25 PM, August 27, 2012

Samsung may have been beaten in the courtroom, but in the court of public opinion, consumers came back with a different verdict.

Sales of Samsung’s flagship Android-device the Galaxy S III were through the roof the weekend after a California jury found that previous-generation Galaxy S phones and other devices violate Apple patents.

“Customers rushed to buy Samsung Galaxy S III this weekend, with some stores reporting stock out,” according to analyst Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities Research.

The sales boost added to Samsung’s already impressive sales, which topped 50 million Galaxy and other Google Android-based devices last quarter, almost double Apple iPhone sales.

Chowdhry said random channel checks revealed that the Galaxy S III was sold out at a couple of Costco stores, while some Verizon stores reported the phone outsold the iPhone. Similar sales spikes were found at AT&T and Sprint stores.

Chowdhry concluded that the patent war is not final.

“The Galaxy S III is significantly different from iPhone, so expect a series of appeals and counter appeals,” Chowdhry said. “The verdict is not final.”

Indeed, Apple and Samsung have another day in court, Sept. 20, for an injunction hearing in which Apple will look to ban the sale of eight Samsung devices, including the Galaxy S II.

Samsung, meanwhile, is preparing an appeal and is looking to remove a preliminary injunction that bans sales of its Galaxy Tab.

As for the S III, analysts expect Apple will sue over that device, which was not part of the case the jury ruled on last week.

Also, the judge has leeway to increase Samsung’s $1 billion-plus payout, because the jury determined the patent violations were willful, leaving room for damages to be tripled.

Read more: Sales of Samsung’s Galaxy S III jump after Apple ruling - NYPOST.com

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ZENMasterTYL View Post
    i won't be holding my breath for Windows 8. Their product suck big time. napagiwanan na sila

Their product line has improved considerably. Plus Nokia still has so much cash from all those years of being market leader to use to further improve on this.

People Still Believe In Nokia | TechCrunch

You may bet on RIM not getting out of funk but never underestimate nokia IMO.

The two biggest value drivers for Nokia are its net cash and its patent portfolio. Although Nokia is in the process of spending $1.6 billion in order to restructure, it still ended the quarter with $5.2 billion in net cash. We’ve already seen some of that $1.6 billion factored into its cash burn, so I feel very comfortable sticking with my expectations that $3.6 billion will be left over by the end of 2013, losses included.

Nokia’s patent portfolio is another often overlooked gem. Nokia’s roughly 10,000 patents generate $650 million in revenue annually, and very easily could fetch anywhere from four to 10 times revenue. InterDigital (Nasdaq: IDCC ) received just $221,000 for each patent it recently sold to Intel, while Nortel’s patent sale to the Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL ) , RIM, and Microsoft consortium fetched $750,000 each. Conservatively, this patent portfolio is worth $4.5 billion to $5 billion.

We also can’t overlook Nokia’s plant equipment and inventory. I’ve heard that Nokia’s $2.2 billion in inventory could be written down to zero, but I find that highly unlikely. Similarly, Nokia has $1.7 billion worth of property and plant equipment. Both figures here are down from the prior quarter but, combined, could still garner $1.5 billion at a discount.

Finally, there lies the potential that Nokia could split its operations into its three components: location and commerce (I.e. its Navteq brand); the Nokia Siemens networking business; and its devices and services operations, in order to unlock value. Even with Nokia’s dismal quarterly loss, its Navteq brand is still growing, and shows promise across smartphone networks, and its networking solution business should still command around $1 billion.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post

They are the same copy-cats that Samsung is. With Motorola mobile now under google they are seeking to ban the iPhone, iPad, and Macs in the US.

Nokia Symbian Icons

IOS vs Android TouchWiz

One notable irony of Apple's fortress-of-patents strategy is that the company's own signature innovation was quite possibly based on theft. That's the graphical display feature of its pioneering Macintosh computer. The originator of the graphical display was Xerox Corp.'s Palo Alto Research Center, or PARC, which in 1979 gave Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and the design team of Apple's Lisa computer, the Mac's precursor, a super-secret demonstration of the technology.

Dazzled by the screen display he saw at PARC, Jobs ordered the designers to put something just like it into the Lisa, and subsequently the Mac. That didn't stop Jobs from suing Microsoft in 1988 for allegedly poaching the Mac interface to create Windows. But it did elicit this classic comeback from Bill Gates, published in a trade magazine in 1989: "Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo."

Plainly, if software had been judged patentable in 1979 and Xerox had taken the aggressive approach common today, it could have blasted Apple into the asteroid belt. Jobs wouldn't be a lionized figure today, but a tech industry footnote.

For example, Windows users have had icons on their desktops arranged neatly in a grid, since long before iOS came around. I've owned several pre-iPhone mobiles that did the same. Nokia's Symbian s60 for example. It might not have been exactly the same, but a grid, with icons, nonetheless. In fact, pre-Android and iOS, most mobile phones often looked and operated in much the same way, the difference was mainly in the hardware itself. Apple (and to be fair, it's not alone) has ushered in a new era though, where minute details, that really aren't new innovations, are being patented. More frustratingly, the patents are being granted. And this is where I feel the real problem lies. Apple had the legal right to protect something, it did, and won. Fine. What is more galling is that the jurors seem to have missed an opportunity to question the validity (and by proxy, value) of these patents, and they didn't. They handed Apple the right to romp ever forward down this self-destructive path, the end of which is good for no one. Not even Apple. Don't let it become Appl€?
    Last edited by Monseratto; August 28th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Yum-yum, that's why I'll stick to my trusty S2...

Update on the Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note Jelly Bean release schedule
    8 minutes ago by Kyle

It’s no secret Samsung has been investing quite a lot of effort in the the Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update development recently. Numerous ROMs have already leaked online with the latest being having a build number of XXLH8.

So, what’s really happening inside Samsung’s labs and when we can expect to see the Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update going live?
    Each new Jelly Bean test ROM shows significant improvement in performance, some minor UI changes and tons of bug fixes. Even though the latest LH8 seems pretty good at first, it still has a few bugs inside and needs some polishing.

Samsung is holding a pre-IFA press conference tomorrow and it will reveal when the Galaxy S III (both US and international) Jelly Bean will come out. The Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note updates are also already in development and are scheduled to come in Q4 (which starts in October, so here’s hoping).

We’ll probably know more once the Samsung’s pre-IFA event finishes tomorrow eventing. We will be there to cover it live for you, so stick around.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    The iPhone 5, is it worth the wait?
    It's more of the hype. Apple product designs change little over the years, and their improvements are incremental.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Sows, tama na yun mga countersuit countersuit na yan. Sinabayan ng Samsung ang apple ng counter case, binasura din ng US courts. malakas ang Apple sa America coz Apple is worth almost $700 B to date. 300 billion na Lang 1 trillion na sila.

You're all living in a dream world at umaasa pa kayo sa s3.

garapal naman talaga kinopya yun design very obvious, I see an end of Samsung here.

masisira ang pangalan Samsung once the ban and the forced removal in the market is in effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Hay naku OB, sabihan mo sa mga kano na huwag bumili ng trying hard copycat na Samsung Galaxy na iyan.

Read more: Sales of Samsung’s Galaxy S III jump after Apple ruling - NYPOST.com
    The s3 will be next. Syempre, hayaan muna ni apple kumita yan and then saka kukunin ni Apple yun earnings after a year or so ... Kung ako c apple ganyan yan eh, eh may precedent na eh s2 may infringement na. Tapos gumawa pa sila ng version 3.

Taka nga ako Sinabi nyo na designed by lawyers, ni hindi man Lang pinalitan ang pangalan ng s3. Eh di sure ma retroactive yan. S3 is based on s2, s2 is improvement from s1. The entire product line is compromised.

Last edited by pop3corn; August 28th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    Sows, tama na yun mga countersuit countersuit na yan. Sinabayan ng Samsung ang apple ng counter case, binasura din ng US courts. malakas ang Apple sa America coz Apple is worth almost $700 B to date. 300 billion na Lang 1 trillion na sila.

You're all living in a dream world at umaasa pa kayo sa s3.

garapal naman talaga kinopya yun design very obvious, I see an end of Samsung here.

masisira ang pangalan Samsung once the ban and the forced removal in the market is in effect.

OB, buti ka pa puro apple products gamit mo. The best product there is...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Dati binigyan ko ng iphone 4s si misis tapos benenta niya pinalitan ko ng sony arc s mas natuwa siya at mas ok daw pati sa camera! yun lang walang front cam ang arc s...
    Last edited by donski; August 28th, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Actually maka-windows ako. I also have windows phone. You know the reason why ngaun tinaas ang ruling, coz Ms windows 8 and ms surface will come out in October.. apple needs a worthy enemy and that is microsoft. In case you don't know, the Ms surface will be produced solely by Ms, wala na Asus, dell, Acer at kin anu-ano pa.

Microsoft already saw the hardware-software business model of apple, and sa lahat ng tech, it's only Ms who has capability to match Apple.

google is not software, it's an ad agency.
    Samsung is not software, it's hardware.
    Android is open source, therefore it's free. Kaya Lang it's not free from liability like patent cases. Imagine mo libre na nga mademanda ka pa for patent use. Talong-talo setup.

Many others like Asus, Acer, dell, are like samsung who produce hardware for MS.

Now that, the hardware wars are over, and we are approaching Web 3.0. ganyan na talaga mangyari.

I foresaw this 3 years ago pa. Kse nman eh, sabi ko sa inyo sa social climber thread mag iPhone, iPad kayo. Eh wala ni-ridicule nyo ko. Oh well, buti pa is *SG nakinig sa kin, kasi pag picture Nya yun Tucson Nya eh Kasama lagi yun bago Nya iPhone and iPad woot woot hehe

I'm here to help you guys. Although I may sound like a troll at times, I'm here in Tsikot as my pro bono work. Kse kahit papano masaya nman ako in real life, so this is my way of contributing to society. Hindi pa huli ang lahat avoid Samsung now, sell it while it still has value. Pag pinatagal nyo pa yan, kayo din.

Smartphone and Cellphone Wars