New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm thinking about installing an A/C in a spare room here. i know window types are the most practical, but i want to avoid having to do any renovation.

So far i've only seen models from lesser known/China brands. Meron kaya from Panasonic, Carrier etc?

Any disadvantages compared to the typical types?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I used to know someone who has the old type... Yung may matabang pipe sa likod kung saan lalabas yung hot air... Ok naman kaso hassle kung paano ilalabas yung pipe sa house...

Yung new style naman na wala na nung pipe... Puro demo lang nakikita ko... Wala pa akong nameet na bumili...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i'm thinking about installing an A/C in a spare room here. i know window types are the most practical, but i want to avoid having to do any renovation.

So far i've only seen models from lesser known/China brands. Meron kaya from Panasonic, Carrier etc?

Any disadvantages compared to the typical types?
    Meron ako midea. Ginagamit ko as addlitonal.pag Meron event dito sa Bahay as for the exhaust Meron Naman fittings yun na pwede mo ilagay sa ceiling para Doon mo na lang I kahit yun exhaust pag ginagamit then pag hinde ginagamit Meron cover yun fittings.

Hassle lang dahil mag auto off pag Puno na yun tubig so Kailangan itapon muna bago gagana ulit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hassle ang pagtapon ng tubig..more or less every 4hrs.

Gamit ko sa garahe whenever I work on the car..tutok lang sa cold air tpos long alum pipe ang hot air.

One thing though, it will never cool the room the your expectation..kahit maliit pa room and 1hp ang portable ac mo. Dahil air for the condenser and blown at the back is sucked from the same room that is being cooled. Walang naiipon na lamig sa room.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If it's going to be a permanent install, a small split type will probably require the least modification to your house. It typically just need something like a 2-3 inch hole for the copper tubing and drain to go through.

If you're still going for a portable A/C, get the one that has a dual duct or hose going to the outside.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We have an old LG portable air conditioner from 2012 that still works. It was designed to cool a 10ft x 10ft room. It employs a flexible tube that blows the exhaust air out through a window. It wasn't as humid as the PH where we were. So, emptying the water wasn't frequent, usually once a day.

I used it because my den was the farthest room away from the centralized heating and cooling.

The LG worked pretty good even though my den was 14ft x 14ft. But, it was noisy. So, whenever I was watching TV, the volume was pretty loud.

To empty the water, I had to unplug and set the unit on a stair step and then unscrew the drain cap at the bottom. The water then drained out into a small bucket.

We also have a small window-type rectangular air conditioner that sat on a window. It was designed for a 13ft x 13ft room. We had to buy one because after we sold our house in NY, we moved to an apartment for a year and it didn't have an air conditioner. It too worked okay. The water drained outside via a rubber tube. The only bad part was having to take out the screen from the window.

Plus, we can't have either air conditioner in place if we're leaving the house because the windows are open.

From my experience with portable air conditioners, they work so long as you use them in the room size they were designed for. If it's designed for a tiny bedroom, don't use it to cool down a living room.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 30th, 2017 at 10:52 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    To add to my previous post, the single-hose model will pull air from the interior to cool the condenser and then push the hot air down the hose to the outside. This design is less efficient because it pulls the already cool room air to cool the condensers. It also causes negative pressure in the room so the air it just cooled is continuously being replaced by outside air coming in through the spaces between doors and/or windows.

The dual-hose type uses one of the hoses to pull air from the outside, cool its condensers then exhaust the hot air through the second hose. This design keeps the interior air totally isolated from the outside.... no negative pressure and it is significantly more efficient at cooling, HP for HP, compared to a single-hose model.

Simple illustration:
    Last edited by oj88; May 1st, 2017 at 12:27 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    To add to my previous post, the single-hose model will pull air from the interior to cool the condenser and then push the hot air down the hose to the outside. This design is less efficient because it pulls the already cool room air to cool the condensers. It also causes negative pressure in the room so the air it just cooled is continuously being replaced by outside air coming in through the spaces between doors and/or windows.

The dual-hose type uses one of the hoses to pull air from the outside, cool its condensers then exhaust the hot air through the second hose. This design keeps the interior air totally isolated from the outside.... no negative pressure and it is significantly more efficient at cooling, HP for HP, compared to a single-hose model.

Simple illustration:
    The dual-hose portable air conditioner generally uses more electricity than the single-hose one because the input air from the outside requires more cooling power. For small bedrooms like my den, I'm better off with a single-hose unit because the seeping air comes under the (closed) door from the hallway which is still much cooler than the outside air. The single-hose unit usually comes with adjustable boards and fittings so that gaps around the window are minimized.

I would consider the dual-hose unit if I'm cooling a living room or kitchen. But, we bought a window unit instead.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    The dual-hose portable air conditioner generally uses more electricity than the single-hose one because the input air from the outside requires more cooling power. For small bedrooms like my den, I'm better off with a single-hose unit because the seeping air comes under the (closed) door from the hallway which is still much cooler than the outside air. The single-hose unit usually comes with adjustable boards and fittings so that gaps around the window are minimized.

I would consider the dual-hose unit if I'm cooling a living room or kitchen. But, we bought a window unit instead.
    Wrong.

The dual-hose model recirculates interior air so it cools much faster and is more efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Wrong.

The dual-hose model recirculates interior air so it cools much faster and is more efficient.
    Oops. I forgot the dual-hose unit has two intakes plus one exhaust instead of one intake plus one exhaust for the single-hose. My bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast