New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Well, I finally finished my HTPC. It's not really 100% done though, it's already fully-functional. Too bad the mini wireless keyboard is out of stock at CDR-King, but instead, I got me a knock-off MCE remote (with USB IR receiver) for P380!! Works well, except for the skip buttons which is a bit weird so I'm still trying to figure that out.

As mentioned, it's not 100% finished as I'm still missing a proper tuner. It's damn hard to find a branded one that's certified for Vista/Win7 MCE. That, and a big-ass LCD panel.

Anyway, I have to go somewhere in a while so I'll just leave you with the pics. Excuse the 20 year-old TV. Too bad these Sony's are built to last. :D

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Cont'd.

Not bad for a system that just cost a little over P11k. I'm glad I went this route. Going for a PCH or E-Great box costs about the same but with half the capability of an HTPC. I'm happy!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually the cost would be near to P15K if I was to plug in the cost of a 1TB HDD.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just stick with Logitech. You can get Logitech DiNovo or DiNovo Mini. Both come with touchpads.

I'm sure there are other cheaper brands like cdrking but you practically get what you pay for.

Your Sony tv is still nice though it's time to upgrade to a Bravia to properly view HD material. Believe me, you'll never look back. After viewing HD, you will think what a crap original DVDs are. hehehe

Question: how is the heat off the AMD proc?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Just stick with Logitech. You can get Logitech DiNovo or DiNovo Mini. Both come with touchpads.
    The DiNovo keyboards are nice but also very expensive. I got my BTC current wireless keyboard for under P2000. It might not be as high tech (no touch pads) but it give me all the wireless access I want.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    GH, true, logitech diNovo are nice (super nice in fact) but expensive. But think of it, Keyboards are what we usually touch all the time. I am quite particular with keystrokes and typing experience that's why I hate no-brand keyboards because they tend to get sticky, doesn't give that right amount of key spring which ruins my input (I'm a touch typist), keys aren't nice to touch, often ugly, etc.

BTW, there's a wireless Logitech kb+mouse for under 2k too.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    GH, true, logitech diNovo are nice (super nice in fact) but expensive. But think of it, Keyboards are what we usually touch all the time. I am quite particular with keystrokes and typing experience that's why I hate no-brand keyboards because they tend to get sticky, doesn't give that right amount of key spring which ruins my input (I'm a touch typist), keys aren't nice to touch, often ugly, etc.

BTW, there's a wireless Logitech kb+mouse for under 2k too.
    But having two devices instead of just one makes it harder to use. Example, I am watching my movie in my lazyboy couch. I honestly do not want to hassle myself with a separate keyboard and mouse. I prefer it to be in one "module". Hence, the BTC keyboard with joystick mouse I am currently using.

Given the only options at the moment in the local market is the DiNOVO and the CDRKING wireless keyboard/mouse ... I feel I might be buying a DiNOVO when my current keyboard dies.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Also a recent Logitech convert. I bought one of their of illuminated keyboard for my main desktop. It's not cheap for the thing it does but the quality and build was top notch. It's blade-thin, and the "crystal" edges went well with the Samsung P2370 monitor on my desktop.. it's like they were made by the same company and for each other.

Going back to my HTPC, I don't do much typing (maybe 1-2% of the time) and only if I need to do some on-the-fly maintenance or setup. Most of the control is done using the MCE remote. For that reason, I wouldn't need an uber expensive keyboard + trackball/pad combo. Not yet anyway. So for me, the wireless mini keyboard from CDRK fits the bill.

Added just yesterday:

A Samsung T240HD (Hey, it's not a big room) and a Xenon AX-302 2.1 multimedia speakers. This is not the "ideal" HT setup in my dreams but compared to the Sony boob tube of two decades old, this is like showing up with a digital watch in the 50's.

I don't have actual pictures of the sub so I have to borrow photos from another site:

The 302 kinda surprised me with its excellent sound. Further, I had to set the bass to 50%, or else things in the room clatters with it. This blows my main desktop's Altec Lansing ATP3 out of the water. If I'm ready to spend for a 5.1 or 7.1 on my HTPC, I'll replace the ATP3 with the 302 for gaming and stuff.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Question: how is the heat off the AMD proc?
    Sorry, I must've missed this one. CPU core temps are in the mid-40's (Centigrade) when loaded. 40 when idle. This is using the HSF that came with the processor package. However, the power supply is a bit hotter than I expect it to be. Maybe it's because of the PSU fan pushing air outwards and downwards towards the bottom (the PSU in this ITX/mATX case is at the bottom and in front) and fighting the natural flow of hot air to go up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Should I go HTPC or NMT?