New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is there a wireless KVM? I'm planning to put the server PC in another room.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Is there a wireless KVM? I'm planning to put the server PC in another room.
    er.. no...

you'll need remote access for that. WinXP and newer has that feature

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I'll setup remote access, how can I boot the PC without keyboard? and monitor?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I'll setup remote access, how can I boot the PC without keyboard? and monitor?
    Set the PC to not stop on error. Monitor is optional once it's running smoothly.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pwede pala yun. Tnx.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pwede pala yun. Tnx.
    And knowing is half the battle... yo joe! :usa:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    what type of file is being stored on the server? is it a database file being used by several users at the same time? (running on RDBMS) or is it just a simple file that is being accessed by a couple of users one at a time? (access files, or excel files)

Kasi kung hindi kinaya ng core2duo, i doubt it that an atom based PC can do the job, lalo na if you are expecting the file to grow. Better invest on a proper server IMO.
    CCTV cameras eat up a LOT of space quickly so make sure you have lots of disk space. File servers would be simpler to set-up and maintain, database servers is quite different. do you have a simple network having a router with DHCP capabilities or are you using a Domain controller? you have to consider these things before purchasing a server. kasi kung expected mo na lalaki yun file, baka mamaya after 2 months hindi na kaya nung binili mo na server, dagdag gastos na naman. sayang din kung ganun lang.

Well KVMs are pretty useful especially if you are maintaining several servers. It saves you space and money.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    what type of file is being stored on the server? is it a database file being used by several users at the same time? (running on RDBMS) or is it just a simple file that is being accessed by a couple of users one at a time? (access files, or excel files)

Kasi kung hindi kinaya ng core2duo, i doubt it that an atom based PC can do the job, lalo na if you are expecting the file to grow. Better invest on a proper server IMO.
    CCTV cameras eat up a LOT of space quickly so make sure you have lots of disk space. File servers would be simpler to set-up and maintain, database servers is quite different. do you have a simple network having a router with DHCP capabilities or are you using a Domain controller? you have to consider these things before purchasing a server. kasi kung expected mo na lalaki yun file, baka mamaya after 2 months hindi na kaya nung binili mo na server, dagdag gastos na naman. sayang din kung ganun lang.

Well KVMs are pretty useful especially if you are maintaining several servers. It saves you space and money.
    Kindly read the beginning of the thread.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Kindly read the beginning of the thread.
    I have read it already and still have questions. That is why i asked these questions.

I have setup a home/office network with the PCs in my house and the office. My problem now is which computer should I put the company data file.
    what type of file is your company data file? is this a simple DAT file, xls file, dbx file?
    I'm assuming that you have your office at your house. Is that right?

1. The computer in my bedroom is ON 24/7, which I think is the best candidate to host the company file. But whenever I'll go on a trip, I always turn OFF this PC and I lock the door of the room.
    Does this PC serves also as your personal PC? you might want to give somebody the task of turning on the server if you are not around.

2. The office have 2 PCs, one is used by my wife but is seldomly turned ON, so this PC can't be used to host the file.
    well, you would just need to ask somebody to turn the PC on. just make sure there is a password.

3. The other computer is for the secretary. This computer is turned ON when the secretary arrives and turned OFF when she leaves. This is a very old computer that I used for more than 6yrs already before I transferred it to the office. So I'm not sure if the file will be safe in this computer.
    If it is just a simple file server with 2 to 3 users, this would be enough.

4. Should I add another computer to the office to act as a dedicated server to host the file?
    it depends on your needs.... well if you can spare the money why not.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    badsekktor, the company file (database file) is a Quickbooks file that is being accessed by several users simultaneously. At first, I used my own PC in my office to act as the host PC for the database file, it's a core2duo machine. But since I use this PC a lot, doing a lot of things including playing games, there were times that my PC would slow down, affecting other users accessing the data file. Sometimes I would have to reboot my PC, which will temporarily make the database file unavailable to other users.

That's why, right now, I'm planning to get another PC to act as a full time host PC aka server for the database file. Wala nang ibang paggagamitan itong PC except for hosting the data file/company file that's why I'm thinking of using KVM for this. But since I'll place this PC in another room, I think the cable of the KVM isn't long enough to connect the 2 PCs.

Now I'm thinking of just using remote access for this PC if it's possible.

Will an atom based PC be enough for my purpose?

If I'll go on with my plan of installing security cameras and use it on this server PC, do I need to get a more powerful processor?

Btw, after 7 months, the company/data file is just around 40mb.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Setting up a 'server' PC