New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have been acquainted with win xp and after installing win 7, I find one component in win xp which I have not found in win 7, or I am not just quite familiar with the latter.

The "search" option in win xp, where one can search files or folders and even word/s in a document....however, the search box in win 7 is not that helpful, or again it might just be me, not a techie...

Can anyone help me on how to search files/folders or just by mere word in a document using the search box of win 7?

Are there software which could perform similar "search" like that of win xp?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The search option was made simpler in windows 7 since you don't need to type in search strings like *.exe, *.doc etc..

Just click on the windows pearl button then right below all programs just type in the file, document or folder you want to search

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    C#*RD:

I used that and the search box, but they are not so helpful....like if I could no longer recall the file name, what I do in win xp was type in the word, which is contained in the document, and viola...I can now access the file...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I see, if your searching for a word or a phrase just type in the search box

content:"your word/phrase"

The search program should show all the files with the word/phrase you just typed.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, I'll try it later

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I find windows xp search tool better than 7 in the area of searching files. I tried the search of a file on an external hard drive and for reason I really do not know, I cannot search the file on the said drive. In fact I tried searching a file name of a folder in that external hard drive which I just created and saved in that drive, but after the search in the search box, it says no item/s found in the display...

I don't really get it...

Is there another software which I can use as a search tool for files in my hard drives- internal and external?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Is there another software which I can use as a search tool for files in my hard drives- internal and external?

you can try Google Desktop.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    You can also use Windows Grep: http://www.wingrep.com/

Windows Grep is a graphical global find-and-replace application that's fast and very versatile. I've used it for several years and am very happy with it. Finds both files and contents of files. Very useful if you're a programmer and/or sys ad, but is also usable for day-to-day file/content searches as well

"Search" in Windows 7