New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    what do you expect sa laptop ba? I consider it as consumable products, 1-2 years obsolete na dapat magpalit na rin kaya I don't really buy very expensive laptops dahil in 1.5 year or 2 years max bili na lang ako ng bago.
    FWIW, any laptop worth over 30k, I expect it to last at least 3 years of normal use, minimum. Netbooks are a different story... maybe 2-3 years tops, like the run-of-the-mill cellphone.

All my laptops are Dell Latitudes (an 8 y/o C610, a 5 y/o D510, and a 2 y/o 2100). And these are field laptops that I have used or am still using over the years that have been, at one point or another, abused. The C610 in particular survived a drop when it fell off my motorcycle some 5-6 years ago. All of them, buo pa ang batteries and hinges. The C610 is still running WinXP and is now being used by my son for homework (para iwas install ng games).

The ideal laptop for me is something that will last long enough for me to outgrow its performance and not for any other reason (ie. broken hinge, busted backlight, etc.)

Dells may not be that bang-for-the-buck. But if longevity or reliability is a factor you'd consider, I'd highly recommend this brand.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I'd stick with Asus if I were you. As a dealer of notebooks during college, I've had my share of warranty returns because of Acer so I ditched it from my list of products.

If you want a netbook, you might want to check out Asus EEE transformer. It's a netbook with a detachable IPS (best type of lcd) tablet screen.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    the dying battery is not a 'defect' of the laptop or the acer brand. it's how you use it. kasi ibang brands may problema din sa battery, dapat kasi pag gagamitin ng matagal tanggalin yung battery at iplug-in nalang tsaka as much as possible dapat di ginagamit yung laptop pag naka-charge ang battery. dapat din ine-empty yung battery minsan.

laking problema talaga ang battery sa laptop

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
    the dying battery is not a 'defect' of the laptop or the acer brand. it's how you use it. kasi ibang brands may problema din sa battery, dapat kasi pag gagamitin ng matagal tanggalin yung battery at iplug-in nalang tsaka as much as possible dapat di ginagamit yung laptop pag naka-charge ang battery. dapat din ine-empty yung battery minsan.

laking problema talaga ang battery sa laptop
    All else being equal, the fact is that battery life has everything to do with the following:

1. Quality of the battery cells (how well it was made)
    2. Quality of the charging circuitry (how intelligent it is)

Leaving the batteries in the laptop while plugged in should not have any significant effect on the life of the battery pack. It is the way it was designed to be operated. Yes, it may shorten the life of the battery somewhat (several days, several weeks, a month or so...). But any laptop manufacturer worth its salt will not design their battery packs to die in a little over a year.

Also, Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries will lose more of its life when frequently discharged to empty. Some older generation of laptops (from 10-15 years ago), require that you discharge the battery to synchronize the laptop's battery charge status indicator. But nowadays, a lot of intelligence has already been built into the battery pack, as well as advanced power management on the laptop in such a way that it can actually determine the real charge status of the pack and not rely exclusively on runtime timers.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    kung netbook why not a Lenovo S10 series? Ive had two lenovos and okay naman ang performance. Dagdag ka lang ng RAM para to speed things up.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Netbook will be too slow. The laptop will be my one and only computer for both office and home use. My current ASUS is a core 2 duo 2.1 with 4 gb of ram. I'm happy with its erformance but need something lighter.

I tend to use my laptops for a long time. My oldest one is a 10 year old P3 900 that is used by my kids for Plants vs Zombies and similar games. My 6 year old HP is being used by my wife as her home pc. My Asus is almost 3 years old.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    FWIW, any laptop worth over 30k, I expect it to last at least 3 years of normal use, minimum. Netbooks are a different story... maybe 2-3 years tops, like the run-of-the-mill cellphone.

All my laptops are Dell Latitudes (an 8 y/o C610, a 5 y/o D510, and a 2 y/o 2100). And these are field laptops that I have used or am still using over the years that have been, at one point or another, abused. The C610 in particular survived a drop when it fell off my motorcycle some 5-6 years ago. All of them, buo pa ang batteries and hinges. The C610 is still running WinXP and is now being used by my son for homework (para iwas install ng games).

The ideal laptop for me is something that will last long enough for me to outgrow its performance and not for any other reason (ie. broken hinge, busted backlight, etc.)

Dells may not be that bang-for-the-buck. But if longevity or reliability is a factor you'd consider, I'd highly recommend this brand.
    yes, matibay nga DELL, kita at feel mo talaga sa workmanship at quality ng materials. Although tey have 3 levels kaya may mura din silang version AFAIK. XP, Inspiron at Vostro lines atat yun.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This one is getting my attention in specs and price...

http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/MSI_FR600-3D

[SIZE="3"]MSI FR600-3D Core i5, 15.6-inch 3D LED [/SIZE]
    P 39,984.00

CPU Intel® Core™ i5-430M Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology (2.26GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz, 3MB Cache)
    OS Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    Chipset Intel® HM55
    Memory 2GB DDR3
    LCD Size 15.6" 3D LED LCD Display
    Graphics Intel® HD Graphic
    Graphics VRAM share with system memory
    HDD (GB) 2.5" 500GB SATA
    Optical Drive Super-Multi
    Audio 4 High Quality Stereo Speakers
    Webcam HD Webcam
    Card Reader SD/SDHC/MMC/MS
    LAN 10/100/1000