New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    eto na lang yun isa sa mga kauna-unahang commercial ng Windows Phone more than a year ago. the reason why I ditched my DSLR kagad after seeing this ad

real-time upload of rare to find moments .. priceless
    Last edited by pop3corn; June 7th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop3corn View Post
    it's not boring. it's not static titles. it changes display per application. for example, nag-notify yan pag email pag news, nakadisplay ang headlines. pag photos, nag-slideshow yan. pag music, it display current song playing. better view on the road nga yan eh. iba ang application ng MS sa WP7, hindi icon list na katulad sa desktop ng computer. it's more cellphone-intuitive big tiles. yun iphone kasi liit icons minsan pag on the road at madali, hirap dipahin or basahin lalo na pag sobrang liwanag.

Mas Enticing for the new buyer ang Icon/Widget based look of Android and iOS

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    and para sayo *hein, why it's tiled, ma-appreciate mo

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    and para sayo *hein, why it's tiled, ma-appreciate mo

Don't need to tell me about the tiles. I was at the grand Launch of the Nokia Lumia and I won a phone.

The Nokia GM (on the left) told me adaptation of Windows Phone in the Philippines would be a tough Challenge.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Yaaawwwn...boooriiing!

You're stuck with that tile theme for the rest of your life

One of the many android launchers and custom flashroms to personalize your ANDROID...

Last edited by Monseratto; June 7th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    ^ tsk nilalaro ako ni *hein eh. may ari ka siguro ng distribution noh. you are marketing by reverse psychology. d' bale alam ko na.

and regarding Nokia GM, hindi ko alam kung Nokia lang talaga concern nya bec. that phone that he just released has XBox gaming. real online gaming Microsoft style. kaya nga wala na Sony and Nintendo eh, both Japanese hardware companies that cannot compete with software and game developer Microsoft. even Android and Apple don't have gaming platform.

ang ok lang sa apple is they just make precise good hardware with gyrometers and 3-axis sensors na talaga swabeng-swabe sa games.

and we all know that Computer Games are bigger than Hollywood.
    ano *hein binibigyan ba kita ng pag-asa sa "products" mo

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Yaaawwwn...boooriiing!

You're stuck with that tile theme for the rest of your life

One of the many android launchers and custom flashroms to personalize your ANDROID...

android users buy android bec. they like to customize or jailbreak their phones. they are like non-casa 3rd party car mechanics
    and car modifiers.

they're trying to re-engineer what is professionally engineered by high-paying professionals. ano mapapala ko dyan if do the same. i bought a smartphone to make my life easier with its clear to basic capabilities/functions/features. bakit ko i-modify ang itsura ng interface ko, will it make money for me? sayang oras lang dyan sa mga ganyan. add to that, they are sacrificing security. if you jailbreak/root your phone, you are prone to cyber instrusion kasi ang ginagamit mga tools ng hackers - masquerading as cyber freedom fighters.

I transact a lot with my non-jailbreaked Iphone thru online banking/transfer, credit card payment, ebay, paypal, amazon and even gcash/smart money. I also have confidential emails. dun pa lang my life became easier and manageable without having to worry about viruses and trojans and other stuff

android - what is android? it's free, it's open source. if you lose important data or money on it, you can't make google responsible. bec. it's free. but with MS and Apple, they will make sure na hindi yan mangyayari bec. we pay them to prevent such things

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    android users buy android bec. they like to customize or jailbreak their phones. they are like non-casa 3rd party car mechanics
    and car modifiers.

they're trying to re-engineer what is professionally engineered by high-paying professionals. ano mapapala ko dyan if do the same. i bought a smartphone to make my life easier with its clear to basic capabilities/functions/features. bakit ko i-modify ang itsura ng interface ko, will it make money for me? sayang oras lang dyan sa mga ganyan. add to that, they are sacrificing security. if you jailbreak/root your phone, you are prone to cyber instrusion kasi ang ginagamit mga tools ng hackers - masquerading as cyber freedom fighters.

I transact a lot with my non-jailbreaked Iphone thru online banking/transfer, credit card payment, ebay, paypal, amazon and even gcash/smart money. I also have confidential emails. dun pa lang my life became easier and manageable without having to worry about viruses and trojans and other stuff

android - what is android? it's free, it's open source. if you lose important data or money on it, you can't make google responsible. bec. it's free. but with MS and Apple, they will make sure na hindi yan mangyayari bec. we pay them to prevent such things
    Great you know those facts, that's why Android controls 61% of the smartphone OS market. While the vaunted Windows Phone holds a measly 5% and IOS has 21%. I guess personaliztion is what most people want. don't they?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Microsoft PAID $1 BILLION to Nokia to put Windows OS on their phones, but sooner or later Nokia will have to pay Microsoft, if Nokia is still around...

That says a lot about confidence on Microsoft OS.

I wonder why many manufacturers including Sony, Panasonic, Asus, Acer and Lenova among others are on the Andoid bandwagon if it's free?

Not even Android can save Nokia now
    by Randy Khoo on May 18, 2012

How many of us first started with Nokia? I’m willing to bet that for most of you, a Nokia device was your first mobile phone. Having ‘grown up’ with Nokia phones, I’ve since made the graceful hop to Android, and it’s never been better. That being said, I still think back fondly, almost like an adolescent love relationship that all of us have had – and still cherish in my heart the time we spent together. However, this broken love is just a remnant from the past, and I, and the market, have affirmed their love for Android. Not everyone has plunged into the ever growing world of Android though, as we are still hearing cases of people going to the extreme, and, in some instances, selling parts of their bodies, or even their virginity to get the latest iDevice.

The Nokia 3310 was my first phone. Unfortunately all that is left of it are entertaining memes on the internet. And, having outgrown dumb phones, Asians – who were once Nokia’s biggest supporters – are disappointed that present day Nokias haven’t brought their once famous durability to their latest devices.

After the 3310, I had the Nokia N95 and the Xpress music 5800, which in my opinion are the best that Nokia has ever produced. Nothing after that mattered. Nokia even had to swallow their pride and admit their failure with the N97. The N8 and N9 came and went – creating little ripples.

Fast forward to 2012, and Nokia is mired by problems more pressing and numerous than ever before. They recently lost their position in the great mobile phone shipment battle to Samsung, while their flagship Nokia Lumia 900 has received mixed reviews. Other problems include:

Nokia Shares Dropping To A New Low
    Nokia Plans To Sell Vertu
    Nokia’s Speeding Death
    Nokia Sued Over Poor WP7 Sales
    Ex Nokia Employee Blames Elop & WP7
    Nokia Loses To Samsung In Mobile Shipments
    Nokia Operating At A Loss
    It is no surprise that the company is imploding. After all, they jumped from a burning platform to another burning platform.

Here’s why.

Nokia Smartphones Don’t Command Value

By this, I meant the selling value. Nokia phones have always been the ‘cheaper’ alternative. In fact, in Asia, the price of WP7 devices halves in 6 months). This is a problem, because it means that they don’t make as much as competitors per smartphone. Being ‘cheaper’ also means that telcos would have to sell in higher volumes to match what they earn from Android and Apple. This is not a good picture.

But there is also a lingering question: will consumers pay less, if and when, access to Android and iPhones are equally affordable?

There might be those who would choose Nokia’s ailing phones, but I believe that the number of people who would do this are few. Consequently, telcos shun WP7 because the demand is so low.

What’s worse is that the Ovi Store has been completely removed from Lumia phones. This means that most app revenues have to be shared with Microsoft. There aren’t ways to sideload apps apart from a developer unlocking tool. This may sound irrelevant, but not when you compare how much Apple is making from their apps alone.

Nokia’s decision in going with Windows Phone is costing them more than they bargained for. Plus, Nokia will have to start paying Microsoft for WP7 licensing fees (sooner or later). There is also a question where Elop said WP7 would allow Nokia to differentiate better than competitors. How is it better than Nokia phones running Android?

We will never find out. It’s too late to turn back the clock.

Nokia Products Don’t Inspire Desirability As Others

I consider the late Steve Jobs as a marketing person more than a tech genius. Today, almost every corporation worships the means and methods laid down by Jobs. Others look to the life of Jobs like the way they read Sun Tzu’s, Art of War.

Steve Jobs marketed well, and the results are obvious.

Which brings me to the next question – What is outstanding about Nokia’s advertising and marketing? Most of us will draw a blank when asked this question.

That’s a marketing nightmare for Nokia’s marketing people.

That means that Nokia is either not doing enough marketing, or their marketing is so bad, that tech writers like me have no lasting impression of any part of it.

Nokia Is Not Fully Utilizing Their Tech

Nokia is a strong contender in terms of hardware. They were, if I may say, the best from yesteryear. However, hardware makes up a fraction in terms of consumer desirability. The premium smartphone market is the most rewarding, and there are consumers that are willing to pay good money to hold the latest devices in their hands from the tech worlds’ red carpet.

Symbian hasn’t delivered anything on par with iOS and Android, and WP7 is still wallowing slowly in infancy. WP7 isn’t a game changer the way Motorola introduced the original Motorola Droid years ago.

Instead, Nokia’s Lumia range is WP7 slapped on slightly better hardware.

It shows.

It Is Too Late For Nokia To Jump On The Android Bandwagon

Let’s imagine for a moment that Nokia decided to go Android.

2012 has arrived and the Nokia has arrived with a quad core processor; packing an 8MP Carl Zeiss lens. Nokia also announced the Nokia Android Pureview – a 41MP, quad core beast that neither Samsung nor HTC has even come close to creating. Nokia Android users gain a whole world of access to apps via the Google Play Store. At that point, Elop has turned the company from the red into piles and piles of green cash. Nokia also holds the title as the manufacturer with the most mobile devices shipped with Samsung at a close second. Nokia continues to pressure HTC to continue bundling Beats Audio headphones with their devices as it launches their new Nokia Android XpressMusic range.

Sounds interesting?

Perhaps.

Would Nokia have successfully differentiated themselves from the other phones in the segment – absolutely! Their superior hardware would shine and would put them way ahead of HTC, and possibly enable them to fight Samsung head on.

That hasn’t happened, and going Android now would be too late.

That would be spreading the fire.
    Last edited by Monseratto; June 7th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    It will not be easy for Nokia to gain their market share like they used to before. Android is the trend now, all of them wants to be in the same bandwagon whether you're a mobile producing company or an end user. Mobile producing company that doesn't create or put resources in OS development have to rely on the trending OS simply because to gain profit. Aside from that, android have tons of free apps in their android market w/c i think that is the reason why they are gaining alot of end users (but there are tons of garbage apps as well).

What i like about nokia (current windows phone) is they don't have to create a phone with dual cores, quad cores, xGB of memory and their phones are way more optimized against Android phones (w/c relies heavily on hardware, OS itself sucks on this area) and even iPhone. In addition to that, when Android releases an OS update, its not backward compatible to lower hardware specs w/c is obviously a resource haggling update w/ a few eye candies.

I'm considering this Lumia as my upgrade to my current phone but how i wish they install that windows OS to the N97 phone body (or phone alike with full qwerty/slider)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Nokia Lumia series.