New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    good day guys! I don't know if someone has posted something like this before so if you could lead me to that link, i would gladly appreciate it. Anyway, I have a problem with one of my network connections or cables. I have a 4 port DLink router DI-704P and a 16 port switch hub(forgot the brand name) with an uplink port on it. I have 3 computers connected directly to the DLink router and one more port for an extra network cable to link the DLink router and the 16 port switch hub. All 3 computers are working fine, they can share files and they can get an internet connection. The same goes for the ports in the DLink router and switch hub, none of them are bad and I have tested all of them. Now the problem is, the network cable which will link the two networking devices together has come up short. (Take note, I have a box full of premade network cables where the RJ45 connectors are already installed which means I have various lengths of network cables.) So what I did is I bought some RJ45 to RJ45 inline socket adapter which look like this http://www.m-jay.co.uk/images/ifc-a.jpg to connect another network cable to be able to link my router and switch hub together.(Take note again that the network cable is connected to the number 4 port of the router and the other end is connected to the uplink port of the switch hub) I got a light on the last port of my router and an uplink light from my switch hub. I tested one of the computers connected to the switch hub to see if it could get an internet connection. To my dismay, it could not get anything at all. The IP of the computer starts at 169 which means an internal IP of the computer and I don't have a gateway. There's a light from the switch hub on a particular number to indicate that the computer I'm using is connected. There's a light on the back of the computer as well. I tried the other computers that is connected to my switch hub and they show the same thing...NO INTERNET CONNECTION!

What I did next is to disconnect the cable from the uplink port and connect it directly to one of the computers. Still no connection. My guess is that the RJ45 to RJ45 inline socket adaper may be defective or one of the cables that is joined to the inline socket adapter is bad. First, I tested the two cables separately on my router...they both work fine with my laptop...has internet connection. Second, I joined the two cables again with the inline socket adapter. Connect it to the router and laptop. Laptop shows that it is connected to the router but no internet connection. IP is 169...no static IP. How can that be? I'm going nuts here! I tried 2 shorter network cables with the inline socket adapter and it WORKS with my laptop...has internet connection! NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!? I need the previous(longer) cables to connect it to my switch hub but it doesnt work. I tried experimenting with two different cables by joining the colored wires to the same color but still doesn't work. Can someone please help me out on this? What do I need to do?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    IP that starts with 169 means you have not configured your network correctly... Assuming cables are correct and all of the link lights on your router and switch are blinking... probably you should just run Network Connection Wizard....

Your switch & router provides the ip address so if they don't provide it probably one of the devices has a problem. check if you can access the router's address (usually 192.168.*1 number from 0 to 1*.1)

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I can access the router's address if the computer is connected to the router itself but the computers that are connected to the switch hub can't get the routers ip. I have tested the router together the switch hub with a shorter cable and it works but when a I use a very long one for my setup...well...it doesn't work. Any more suggestions?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    because HUB's do not distribute IP's like 192.168.0.1.. If you're computer is connected on the HUB and the hub is connected on the router set a static IP to your computer in range with your router/hub.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    uhmm...looks like you have a distance problem here...maximum lenghth for wired connection is just 100ft although recommended is only 50ft. How far is your hub/switch from the router? If you said it works at shorter distance then its given that issue is your distance.

you can try lowering down speed of your ethernet adapter to 10mbps and see if that works...just do to its properties under your local area connection properties and look for your adapter's advanced features...look for transmit rate then lower it to 10mbps. see if that works...if still not working, try to assign static ip like what the previous poster suggested. don't forget to assign the dns and gateway as well.

if still you can't get it to work...well...get another switch to repeat the signal for you.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I've also tried to assign static ips and the gateway before posting here and still doesn't work. It looks like a distance issue but would it help if I would buy a new network cable with the desired length rather than joining multiples cables with RJ45 To RJ45 inline socket adapters? I may try your solution tomorrow BeetOls but buying another switch is a no no for me. I will post again if I there's a problem.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    One more thing, I'm not sure how long my cable is but I will measure it tomorrow.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hindi yata 100ft ang maximum length ng ethernet cable kundi 100meters. yung network cable ko kasi dito sa bahay more than 20m pero ok naman.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I see. Thanks for the info * boybi. I hope the techy guys out there could give me some insights and tips for this one, it's been nerve racking for me.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie_123 View Post
    I've also tried to assign static ips and the gateway before posting here and still doesn't work. It looks like a distance issue but would it help if I would buy a new network cable with the desired length rather than joining multiples cables with RJ45 To RJ45 inline socket adapters? I may try your solution tomorrow BeetOls but buying another switch is a no no for me. I will post again if I there's a problem.
    Hmm, I made a 20M RJ45 and it is working fine. It's easy to make one, just follow the standard color codding. I think the problem is lying beneath the two cables connected through socket adapter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network cable problem