New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Is the MSI GX660 notebook a good buy? (gaming notebook)

Price: P40K

Intel i5 M430
    2gb ram (expandable to 8gb)
    320gb hdd
    15.6 LED screen
    Ati Radeon HD 5870 1gb
    eSATA
    USB 3.0
    etc

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i was going to start a thread with this same subject...

what's the overall reliability of these MSI brand laptops? went to octagon kahapon and for the price, ok ang features nila.

an even cheaper brand would be gateway laptops... same specs as above but cheaper by 5K or so (online research, online sellers... do check out laptopking.com). saw an i5 parang 35k lang.

and what's the deal with the satellite indicator sa ibang msi laptops? yung indicator icon nya parang satellite icon sa nokia mobile gps phones eh. satnav chip ba ito, as in pwede mo installan ng garmin mobile pc and then do satnav na? tinanong ko sa salesman sabi nya for internet daw yun eh (duh, labo... may separate wifi and bt indicators naman).

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    ok ang msi laptop but the processor is only i5m430 which is already old because of the sandy bridge processor, better look a laptop with a i5-2410k processor and 4gb memory(kung pang gaming talga) like this http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=038446 or this http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=037835

or this http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=037751 hindi siya pang gaming pero ang ganda naman

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post

what's the overall reliability of these MSI brand laptops? went to octagon kahapon and for the price, ok ang features nila.

an even cheaper brand would be gateway laptops... same specs as above but cheaper by 5K or so (online research, online sellers... do check out laptopking.com). saw an i5 parang 35k lang.

and what's the deal with the satellite indicator sa ibang msi laptops? yung indicator icon nya parang satellite icon sa nokia mobile gps phones eh. satnav chip ba ito, as in pwede mo installan ng garmin mobile pc and then do satnav na? tinanong ko sa salesman sabi nya for internet daw yun eh (duh, labo... may separate wifi and bt indicators naman).
    Wifi indicator yun. Yun parang signal icon ng celfone ang para sa 3G internet. Ganyan yung sa MSI Wind U230 netbook ng anak ko.Nalito din ako nung una. Almost two years old na yung netbook ok pa rin.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post

So far so good with my MSi netbooks. I have a U210x and my previous netbook (MSi Wind U100) is with my brother. All of them are running well.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gud4u View Post
    ok ang msi laptop but the processor is only i5m430 which is already old because of the sandy bridge processor, better look a laptop with a i5-2410k processor and 4gb memory(kung pang gaming talga) like this http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=038446 or this http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=037835

or this http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=037751 hindi siya pang gaming pero ang ganda naman

Unfortunately I am buying in the PHILIPPINES.

If you are willing to give me free-shipping, I would gladly buy from over there.

Even considering the Sandy-Bridge Processor advantage, since I am choosing a gaming notebook, low power consumption is not really a primary concern. Also since the GX660 has it's own high power video chipset, having a fast on-chip integrated graphics is not an issue.

In the end, I don't think having a 5 to 10% processor performance difference is a big issue given that heavier games these days are more GPU intensive.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 27th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Unfortunately I am buying in the PHILIPPINES.

If you are willing to give me free-shipping, I would gladly buy from over there.

Even considering the Sandy-Bridge Processor advantage, since I am choosing a gaming notebook, low power consumption is not really a primary concern. Also since the GX660 has it's own high power video chipset, having a fast on-chip integrated graphics is not an issue.

In the end, I don't think having a 5 to 10% processor performance difference is a big issue given that heavier games these days are more GPU intensive.
    speaking of high power video chipsets... are the video chips of the somewhat newer HP DV7s (17 inch lcd) better than the older amd turion x2 HP DV2000-6000?

better designed for heat i mean... bought a used DV2000 off tpc last year, seller didnt mention na nasusunog yung nvidia gpu ng model na yun... used it for a couple times then boom, ayaw na mag boot, no display. sabi nung tech replace board na daw... badtrip sayang pera, should have done my research first.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    40k for a notebook with an i5 and an HD5870? Hell yes, it's a good buy! The normal SRP for the GX660 is 40k for the i3 variant with the same graphics chip. You should up the RAM to at least 4GB though, especially if you intend to use a 64-bit OS.

All in all, MSI makes solid notebooks. Not as physically sleek as the Apples and Sammies, but this one is crammed with goodies for a fraction of the price. My only gripe about that model is the.. almost-ricey exterior. Too loud for my tastes.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    you can't go wrong with MSI that's for sure.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found a better deal:

MSI FX420x - i5185+ with Sandy Bridge Processor
    8GB DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD6470 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    500GB SATA
    14” HD LED Display(1366x768)
    etc
    No OS

SRP = 35,995 (card price 0% 12 months)

SRP = 34,000 (cash)

Wow! ... can't believe a game performance notebook PC can be this low.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Is the MSI GX660 notebook a good buy?