New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: What is your preferred type of mobile phone?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Candy Bar

11 40.74%
  • Slider

2 7.41%
  • Fold / Clamshell

0 0%
  • Touchscreen (ie: iPhone & similar)

12 44.44%
  • Whatever type as long as it's free.

2 7.41%
  • I don't use mobile phones.

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    candybars easy as 1 2 3

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    So it's blackberry style for you?
    yup! easier to type emails rin kasi...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    WM touchscreen. Can't live without it.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzie View Post
    candybars easy as 1 2 3
    the easier to use... the better

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    When Iphone came to the picture, it revolutionized the mobile phone landscape.

There's nothing to argue about how inconvenient it is to text message but that is not the phone's fault. It's the user's unfamiliarity with the concept of usage just as like people from 10 years back who are still trying to learn how to text one another.

I think the incovenience of using a touch screen phone only happens when one is pre-occupied in doing something else such as driving, which should not be done in the first place.

The advantages of a touch phone, IMO, outweights the negative. Basically, what the touch screen phone is trying to address is to provide a much wider viewing angle than those offered by conventional mobile phones.

I'm not sure what services can those touch screen phones have to offer in RP but in the US it is a far leap forward. The nav features alone is convincing enough for me to be a convert.

Mobile phones with physical keypads will always be preferred by those who require it. Me, I go with a touch screen type.
    The problem with touch screens is you need to put your full attention to it as well as both your hands.

A standard mobile phone can be operated by a single hand and when typing a message, you dont have to keep your eye on the screen as much to check if you have misspelled 50% of what you typed in.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower
    That's your first smartphone, ain't it?

I've got two words about that "revolution" ... marketing hype.

I can dispute all the points you've raised, but that will veer the topic way off ... so I won't.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    Mobile phones have evolved from about a decade ago. Before, it was only used to communicate in a wireless environment. Now, it can do that plus a lot more. Mobile phones are now a source of entertainment (music, videos, games), PDA, Navigation device, camera, ebook reader, medical tool, excercise tracker, etc.

There's nothing to argue about how inconvenient it is to text message but that is not the phone's fault. It's the user's unfamiliarity with the concept of usage just as like people from 10 years back who are still trying to learn how to text one another.

I think the incovenience of using a touch screen phone only happens when one is pre-occupied in doing something else such as driving, which should not be done in the first place.

The advantages of a touch phone, IMO, outweights the negative. Basically, what the touch screen phone is trying to address is to provide a much wider viewing angle than those offered by conventional mobile phones.

I'm not sure what services can those touch screen phones have to offer in RP but in the US it is a far leap forward. The nav features alone is convincing enough for me to be a convert.

Mobile phones with physical keypads will always be preferred by those who require it. Me, I go with a touch screen type.

Peace
    with the hundreds off applications you can use and wider selections on games, iphone became a utility tool for everyday American life. but down side on having an iphone (just found out about this recently when i went back to phil.)is if you dont have data plan basically the phone is useless.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    i prefer candybars.
    have used sliders and clamshells before, mabilis masira ang ribbon.
    Same for me. I'm more on the practical side when choosing a cellphone.

Less parts = less parts to break

Touch screen phones are just for porma. Even the tablet PC, which was touchscreen, lasted a short lifespan since it was so impractical.
    Lulz at iphone lovers.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    That's your first smartphone, ain't it?

I've got two words about that "revolution" ... marketing hype.

I can dispute all the points you've raised, but that will veer the topic way off ... so I won't.
    As a matter of fact no. My first one was a SE P900. Lucky to be one of the first ones to own it.

I happen to also own quite a number of portable devices and I've witnessed how it transitioned towards integrating all these technologies into a single device.

It could be a huge marketing hype but it surely made quite an impact especially to my everyday needs (talking about IPhone 3G here).

How would you like to have your phone give you restaurant suggestions and provide you driving directions from points a-b. On the way call the restaurant manager to have a reservation? To top it all, give you a 360 degrees view of the place.

How about having to see a live video shot of pre-selected areas to update you on the traffic condition 24 hours a day?

How about having your blood sugar interpreted by your smart phone and sent instantly to your doctor for analysis?

The timing is just so right by the launch of IPhone coupled with 3G network. What's interesting is that it's more fun to use it on a wider screen sans physical keypad.

I'm not disputing the practicality of a physical keypad. I still keep a back up brick phone (N82) for my travels to RP. Right now, I can live with my smart phone without having to require a physical keypad.

As long as texting is overwhelmingly used in RP, physical keypads will still be relevant. Look what happened when cellphones made pagers extinct (this is a bit overboard and I'm sure this will not happen with phones with keypads).

Touch screen phones may be a fad to some or just status symbols, but for me, it's just an awesome device. Not an Iphone fanboi here but just speaking on my current needs being satisfied.

I hope the features I mentioned come to RP very soon. By then it will perhaps change the landscape hehehe...

Peace

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I'm a bit interested to see and compare Palm Pre against the upcoming IPhone release this June. Palm Pre is touch screen slidder querty keyboard fusion.

What do you think guys?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mobile Phones - your preferred type?