New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006

Here's a trend that has been years in the making. Since the advent of speed dial on land lines, people have been training themselves that memory is unimportant, placing every phone number you could need at the touch of a button. Now science has proven it: Phones, computers, and PDAs are making us dumb.

The stats: A quarter of UK residents (these studies always come out of Britain) don't know their home phone number. Only one-third know the birthdays of their immediate family. Half use one password, exclusively, presumably because they just can't remember any more.
    The problem is pretty simple at heart: The less you use your memory, the study says, the worse it gets. The study indicates, shockingly, that people in their 50s and 60s have generally better memory than people in their 30s.

Why? The older group was tasked with committing more to memory when they were younger, "training" their brains appropriately. Our gadgets make it simple to offload our memory to electronic devices. That's a good thing when it comes to keeping track of the 1000 people in your address book (each with multiple phone numbers and email addresses), but maybe we're taking it too far?

The good news is that you can exercise your brain without memorizing numbers by rote. Games like Brain Age and Sudoku and other mental stimulation can do just as good a job at keeping your memory sharp (and possibly even ward off ailments like Alzheimer's), the experts say.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    tsk tsk. the effects of being dependent to technology.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    yes they will, if you let them...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's why we still need to read some good books and magazines to feed our minds.
    bawal ang pork, beans... hehehe...

Thats technology....and we cant stop it.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hey i have sudoku and brain juice games in my mobile fon, need to play more often

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    May "research" pa about this issue sa UK hehe... but it's so true... I remembered back in 99 or so when I was using a motorola phone, that stupid phone doens't have caller ID pag text (sending and receiving) so i was forced to memorize quite a few numbers...

when I switched to a more standard phone, wala na, pati home number I can't seem to remember it...

I never was good at bdays (for some reason, i can only remember my own, my wife's, my sister, my son's bday clearly, everyone else's is blurry in my mind...) cellphones/PDA/outlook made it worse...

Planning to go back to paper-based organizer nadin... hirap pag naubusan ng battery and i need to make that imporant phone call but can't recall the number (happened so many times na actually)...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
    hey i have sudoku and brain juice games in my mobile fon, need to play more often
    so pano yan...the pon makes you stupider, but the games make you smarter...so bale quits lang :rofl01:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Oh, sh*t. So compared to eight years ago, I'm already dumb?

And I thought it was just me.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Oh, sh*t. So compared to eight years ago, I'm already dumb because of my cellphone?

And I thought it was just me.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; July 18th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mobile Phones Are Making Us Stupid