New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Is buying a Macbook Air worth buying? or is it only for vanity purposes?

this one is selling for 50K pesos, is it worth it? 7 months used with specs:

Model Name: MacBook Air
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    hard drive : 80

come with External CD/DVD
    and wireless Mac mouse and wireless keyboard.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With P50K, you can buy TWO entry level notebooks or TWO mid-level netbooks (example: Lenovo S10 or Acer Aspire One 10" or Asus EEE PC 1000HE). Generally you can install OSX in a lot of the currently available netbooks without much problem if you really want OSX instead of Windows.

For me, the Macbook Air is simply more of a status symbol than a useful portable computer.

If you want that Macbook look, it is possible to mod an existing netbook to look like a Mac. Example is the MSi Wind U100 series of netbooks. The white version can be modified with the proper labels to look like a Macbook Nano. There is even someone who actually cut an Apple logo into the top cover which glows when his netbook is on. You can fond those on YOUTUBE among other places. The current batch of Asus EEE PC 1000H and 1000HE has a keyboard which is similar to Apple's design which also makes it possible to mod it to look somewhat like a mac notebook as well.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    Is buying a Macbook Air worth buying? or is it only for vanity purposes?

this one is selling for 50K pesos, is it worth it? 7 months used with specs:

Model Name: MacBook Air
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    hard drive : 80

come with External CD/DVD
    and wireless Mac mouse and wireless keyboard.
    I prefer a MacBook to a MacBook Air myself because the former is much more practical. So, I'd say it's for vanity. But, hey. I wouldn't mind if I got one as a gift. If it was the original $2k price, I'd say no. But for around $1k....... I'd be a bit more receptive.

Your call.

Add: With all the addons, I'd probably buy one for that price. Just make sure you don't lose sight that it's a high-end netbook. With a dualcore cpu, you can definitely do some gaming on it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 3rd, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    An example of a netbook modified to look like a Macbook:

http://forums.msiwind.net/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11029

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    If this is your first laptop or this would be your primary computer to use both for work and for home, then This is NOT the one for you.
    If you have a primary computer and then need portability then you can consider this.
    But take note of the limitations. USB port and optical drive are things you might need.

If you plan to get a MAC computer then getting a Macbook can be an option.
    Check out Liteware house in Kamias. www.liteware.com.ph
    They have an ongoing sale for macbooks around 58T if I remember right.
    Look for Joan.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Style without the substance...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Awaiting responses from Mac fanatics :whistle:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    portability was my primary consideration when i got mine. at 50K okey na yun...just extend the warranty...you may arrange that Sir with the seller.

so far, happy naman ako sa Mac ko...i just need to stay connected, open my mails and reply if i need to...and listen to my audio reviewer.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    so even tawaran ko ng 45K, di pa rin okey yun? i think the original price of it is more than 100K di ba?

i have a primary gear with me at home.. this will just be for travel and browsing mostly...

i am not into the modifying idea, coz it's somewhat lame.. it's just buying between a BMW M series and Mitsubishi Evolution series wherein performance wise they can be matched up but the overall elegance of it lacks the other.practically it's a sound idea but i still wouldn't go for that idea. sorry to say and it's just my personal opinion.

pertaining also to depreciation value, i think it would be much preferable to buy a mac in the long run rather buy an asus or acer, right?

still i'm keeping a leash on myself being impulsively getting the mac... i'm still considering good advices from people like all of you...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Actually kapag depreciation ang usapan the CHEAPER it is the BETTER it will be. Kasi the fall will not be as hard and deep unlike an expensive notebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Macbook Air