New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I don't know if this belongs to the Detailing thread, but since the affected item is a PC Mouse, I opted to post this here.

I have two logitech mice. The sides of both mice are coated with this rubber like surface. After a couple of years of use, that surface has become sticky. On my other mouse, it has become so bad that I was able to scrape off the rubber like coating with a plastic knife. Very messy. It was like scraping off gummed up sticker adhesive.

The coating on the other mouse is still intact but already as sticky as a post-it note.

Is there some chemical I can use to restore this coating back to its original state?
    If not fixable, is there any chemical I can use to quickly strip off this coating without damaging the surface underneath?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    I don't know if this belongs to the Detailing thread, but since the affected item is a PC Mouse, I opted to post this here.

I have two logitech mice. The sides of both mice are coated with this rubber like surface. After a couple of years of use, that surface has become sticky. On my other mouse, it has become so bad that I was able to scrape off the rubber like coating with a plastic knife. Very messy. It was like scraping off gummed up sticker adhesive.

The coating on the other mouse is still intact but already as sticky as a post-it note.

Is there some chemical I can use to restore this coating back to its original state?
    If not fixable, is there any chemical I can use to quickly strip off this coating without damaging the surface underneath?

ung rubber spay na ginagamit para sa mga rims, pag natuyo ok din. kung kaya mo tangalin ung cover saka ka mag spray, pero kung mahirap tangalin lagyan mo na lang ng masking tape un ilalim.

for me it is still cheaper to just buy an new one.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Kahit anong brand ng mouse sir basta may rubber coating na ganyan after a year or less ganyan talaga nangyayari

Pwede na dyan yung MC Multipurpose cleaner na cream para maalis yung tira. Just apply the cream then gamitan mo ng basahan to rub off the remaining rubber... repeat as necessary

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    How expensive is your mouse ba? Minsan mas ok bumili na lang ng bago kesa magrestore pa ng existing mouse mo.
    Plastidip cost 600 per can kung iispreyan mo yung sides ng mouse mo.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    How expensive is your mouse ba? Minsan mas ok bumili na lang ng bago kesa magrestore pa ng existing mouse mo.
    Plastidip cost 600 per can kung iispreyan mo yung sides ng mouse mo.
    Youre somewhat conio ba? Hehe oo kung ako yan bibili na lang ng bago especially if its like 2 yrs old already

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Subukan mong gamitan ng isopropyl alcohol at baka matanggal yung rubber coating.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

7. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    or you can use wd-40 to remove the residue

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    mas maganda sa detailinig forum section mo binato issue mo, mas madami may experience doon ng trim/rubber moisturizer or protection.
    parang ang hirap yata i-salvage nyan base sa kwento mo.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    It's a logitech mx518. I already forgot how much it cost when I got it some years ago. And save for that annoying rubbery coating, it's very durable and reliable.

I'm not looking to restore the mouse. That would be very impractical.

I just want to get rid of the stickiness. If it means getting rid of the sticky surface then I'm all for it.

RE: MC Cleaner
    Oo nga no! I remember that was potent enough to get rid of gummed up sticker adhesive. I think I still have a can. Try ko mamaya.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post

I just want to get rid of the stickiness. If it means getting rid of the sticky surface then I'm all for it.
    WD-40 works. Yun gamit ko sa tinanggal ko na adhesive residue sa kotse namin dati. Gamitan mo kutsilyo na pangkaskas.

Logitech Mouse: Rubberized coating that has gone sticky -- how to revive or remove?